Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw it pointed out that this could be a huge win for Tesla when it comes to the Semi

$40,000 credit or 30% of the cost of the vehicle, whichever is less.

That would be a very big win for Tesla. If this passes, Tesla needs to adjust the price of the Semi immediately. It was already a steal for any company using it considering the price of gas

Just saw it pointed out that this could be a huge win for Tesla when it comes to the Semi

That would be a very big win for Tesla. If this passes, Tesla needs to adjust the price of the Semi immediately. It was already a steal for any company using it considering the price of gas
Damn, that would put the base cost down to $110k. That’s crazy cheap for a rig like this.

Based on this I’m putting in a reservation for my daily driver

No auto plant will quote capacity based on running 365 days per year. There is always some planned down time.

I get annoyed with all the people on the internet that just think you can multiple a daily run rate by 365 or weekly by 52.

Tesla is not sand bagging, it's being realistic based on already planned downtime and a factor for unplanned downtime.

As an engineer I know that, so did Omar and Sawyer when they wrote those tweets, so do most people here. The news is not the absolute capacity number, rather it is that this is almost 13% greater than that of reported previous capacity of 1.1 million.

Moreover Tesla has been sandbagging, the capacity reported for Q1 is less than actual weekly production annualised, even when planned downtime is taken into account.

Sooo Tesla may have to give some freebies EOY like free supercharging for a year plus certainty of delivery in exchange for 10 years of free +10% gross margin and infinite demand...?

Also if you don't take deliveries, your order might have a 2 year delay because news flash, order backlog may have doubled since everyone else is trying to take deliveries after the 31st.

So then it's just a matter of those who can afford it but can't afford to wait (pretty much everyone who are on the backlog today) vs those who can't afford it but can afford to wait.

Regarding the new EV tax incentive bill requirement for a percentage of battery minerals to come from a country that has a free trade agreement with the USA. I note that Australia has had a free trade agreement with the USA since 2015 and that this covers battery minerals.

Also, according to Robyn Denholm - three-quarters of Tesla's lithium feedstock and over one-third of its nickel is sourced from Australia. (Tesla chair says mining to underpin potential Australian battery, EV production)

So I expect that Tesla won't have any issues meeting the percentage battery minerals requirements outlined in the bill.

This gives a fair overview of the UK car industry at present, and by extension a lot of global legacy ICE. Personally I think the self-inflicted wound of Brexit is more impactful than they say in this says, but the other factors are relevant worldwide. As such it may interest those of you who like to keep your eyes on legacy ICE woes.

Damn, that would put the base cost down to $110k. That’s crazy cheap for a rig like this.

I was searching for a vehicle to pull my 17,500 pounds camping trailer. I thought the a Cybertruck was the perfect vehicle for that now the Tesla semi is appealing. I just have to move into the US to qualify for that credit.

That isn't true. All of the electronics, contactors, etc. that are in the "penthouse" section of the battery pack are serviceable. And they are what fails most often.

Sure, if a cell goes bad, the pack has to be replaced. But that is true of ALL Tesla packs. Not a single Tesla designed pack can be repaired after a cell goes bad.
All of the older packs had individually fused cells so that if one cell shorted ("went bad") the fuse would blow and the rest of the pack would function just fine. If a cell failed open instead, it's as if the fuse blew so the same result. There is a (usually small) loss of range because the balancing requires all of the series elements to have the same capacity. It's mostly true that this is not repairable at the cell level but it does not mean that the loss of one cell means the whole battery is bad. I'm confident the same is true for the new structural pack.

If I remember correctly, they had a price reduced locked-down version in Canada, but they didn't allow unlocking...
That model was used to qualify their model 3s for government incentive as they had a "base price" of 45k or under and "loaded price" of no more than 55k. Tesla's base price for the SR+ was no where near 45k CAD so they made a crappy version of the model 3 no one should buy just so those who buy the expensive sr+ can get 5k off.