Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I'm just seeing a "segment" of the labor market. I'm not trying to say that @thx1139 is universally wrong, but instead point out that the labor market is not nearly at the same level of strength it was just months ago. It's it 10% bonkers unemployment? Of course not. Is there a shift going on? I believe there is strong data to support that, at least among skilled workers.
Weakness when we had incredible demand for labor with not nearly enough available or even being developed to not as much demand doesnt mean the labor shortage goes away. If the open positions drops from 11 million to 8 million doesnt mean positions arent available. We may see a small uptick in unemployment, not much. We have been heading in this direction for years.

Reactions: petit_bateau

Why This is Bullish IMO

In exercising these stock options, Kimball paid $1.8m to Tesla for the 25,000 shares and will pay the IRS and Colorado about $7.8m in taxes.
These options would have expired in June 2025; so why did Kimbal exercise them now and lay out the combined $9.6m in cash?

1659029985584.png

When you exercise stock options in the US, you pay at the ordinary income tax rate on the gain between the fair value and strike price.
This tax rate for Kimbal is about 41.5% (Federal and State).
Once exercised, if Kimbal holds the stock for more than a year, he would pay long term capital gains (about 28.3% Fed & State for Kimbal) on the gains above the $824 fair value today.

So the gain up to the $824 share price is at 41.5%
The gain above $824 share price is at 28.3% (if held a year or more)

So why did Kimbal exercise yesterday and not wait until June 2025? He believes share price appreciation is coming soon and wants to lock in the 28% tax rate for the gain on the stock above $824/share . . .and remember, Kimbal is a Board Member and has access to more information than we do.

...The Devils are likely in the details. "Section 13401 removes the cap on EV credits and makes hydrogen fuel cell vehicles eligible. "....

BTW, isn't there both coal and a Toyota plant in Manchin's home state? And hasn't a hydrogen powered semi (that could of course be powered from Brown Hydrogen) been a goal of Toyota for some time?....

I'm not concerned about this.

It would take much more than a $7.5k discount to make me buy a hydrogen car such as Toyota Mirai. Hideous, slow, dangerous, inconvenient and expensive to fuel, no thanks. If you gave me the car, I would immediately sell it (if possible) and buy a BEV.

Is the situation different for hydrogen semis? I doubt it. Trucking companies don't care about looks or acceleration, but they do care about fueling costs and availability and the occasional explosions at hydrogen stations. Batteries and renewable energy are getting cheaper; fossil fuel extraction and "brown hydrogen" ain't.

Yes, Manchin bows to his fossil fuel campaign-donors, but they are delusional if they think this token incentive will help them. The Green Tidal Wave is coming for them all.

Why This is Bullish IMO

In exercising these stock options, Kimball paid $1.8m to Tesla for the 25,000 shares and will pay the IRS and Colorado about $7.8m in taxes.
These options would have expired in June 2025; so why did Kimbal exercise them now and lay out the combined $9.6m in cash?

View attachment 833838

When you exercise stock options in the US, you pay at the ordinary income tax rate on the gain between the fair value and strike price.
Once exercised, if Kimbal holds the stock for more than a year, he would pay long term capital gains (about 28.3% Fed & State for Kimbal) on the gains above the $824 fair value today.

So why did Kimbal exercise yesterday and not wait until June 2025? He believes share price appreciation is coming soon and wants to lock in the 28% tax rate for the gain on the stock above $824/share . . .and remember, Kimbal is a Board Member and has access to more information than we do.
So what you're saying is the Board knows the split was approved. 😂

My lone data point on the labor market... I 'retired' in January. By that I simply mean I may take on some part time projects I like or help some places in my area of expertise (corporate accounting, with emphasis on consulting companies). I've been reached out to more in the last 4-6 weeks about jobs and trying to lure me back into the industry than I had Jan-May... and the pay is much higher than the job I left (I could pretty much ask ~40k more than I was getting previously and have them accept). Might just be a lack of talent or people fleeing, but the job market looks very tight for employers in that very small, fragmented segment.
Same here. I dont need to work, but my wife isnt ready to retire so I take project for companies and people I like. Want to treat me like crap I have no interest. I can keep my skills up coding interesting thing and teaching kids. Suspect there are a lot of us.

Tesla mailed me a check for $33.75 with no explanation. Does anyone here have an idea?

My Model 3 was delivered on March 2. I also bought a NEMA Adapter from Tesla. When I try to call Tesla, hold times are ridiculous.
I received a refund back in June for $61.51. My records show it was from Tesla over charging for registration at the time of purchase of our Model Y in late 2021.

• Helpful
Reactions: unk45 and Curt Renz
Why This is Bullish IMO

View attachment 833838

Well said...it used to be Elon giving us easter eggs on his tweets, now its KImbal!

$TSLA to the 🌑!

What I think would be groundbreaking and a real show stopper would be to throw a ball at Optimus and have it catch the ball. I'm talking tossed underhand from a person. Showing the adaptation to a real time problem and using sensors to adjust to the environment is a very simple thought but would show a grand ability overall. I doubt this to be possible but you never know.

Tesla mailed me a check for $33.75 with no explanation. Does anyone here have an idea?

My Model 3 was delivered on March 2. I also bought a NEMA Adapter from Tesla. When I try to call Tesla, hold times are ridiculous.
That happens frequently. Tesla do audit reviews of many types of purchases, but cars are, I suspect, the biggest refund category. That happens when the initial purchase tax and registration fees are estimated by Tesla but the actual cost is lower. All three of my Tesla purchases had that happen. There are places where there are not unknowns on initial purchase, so that does not happen. Less commonly, I suspect, that happens with non-vehicular purchases for Tesla. I have had a couple of those.

The odd part is that it usually happens some time after the transaction took place and there's minimal explanation with the checks.

I just deposit them. Thus far I've figured out they are normally sales tax calculations. Tesla does all this centrally so often, it seems, do not really know the actual tax in any given transaction

My largest check was the result of a trade in. In my jurisdiction new car tax is on the net price, so a trade in price is deducted from new car sales tax. My smallest was a tax refund for an adapter.

Same here. I dont need to work, but my wife isnt ready to retire so I take project for companies and people I like. Want to treat me like crap I have no interest. I can keep my skills up coding interesting thing and teaching kids. Suspect there are a lot of us.
"I" don't need to work either....but my wife definitely does for our benefits :)