Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Combatting Climate Change combats inflation. Climate Change is increasing all kinds of expenses. For instance in Germany right now because of the heat the Rhine river is really low. So now shipments on the Rhine in smaller boats with lower volumes of cargo so the boats sit higher in the water. So now more shipments and more work to get the same amount of product around. So shipping costs rise which boosts product costs. Ding ding ding we have inflation.

Same can be said with prescription drug costs and health insurance (aka Tax) costs.
First, we kill all the cats.

Long Video but interesting.

Tesla conquest ratio above 1 on all brands. >1 is taking customers away from your brand. For Infinity it is 24!

This is what a paradigm shift looks like.

There is a vast green field where consumers are looking for cars. It is empty save a bunch of Teslas and a few other stray cars on the borders.

On the other side of the fence is a big brown muddy field. There are tons of ICE cars over there and a few customers who are a bit too scared of new things to try out the new field just yet. A few Toyotas and PHEVs hybrids are on the edge of the brown field trying to fool consumers into thinking they are in the green field.

Once the customers cross into that new field, very very few go back. They might buy some other car which is in that green field, but crossing back into the muddy brown field no longer makes any sense at all.

Nobody is buying an Infinity when they own a Tesla. They might get a Rivian or maybe even a Mach E. But not an Infinity. They even any Infintys in the green field where they shop.

Hybrids need to die, and should not be thought of as a middle ground or stepping stone between gas and EV.
The problem is that Hybrids have significant traditional advertising. Toyota even refers to them as "self charging EVs". I wish there was some guerrilla style advertising campaign to dispel the myth of a Hybrid. The UK did a big study and unequivocally demonstrated that hybrids a) never achieves their rated MPG due to almost never being plugged in b) break down more than a gas powered car let alone an EV and c) are worse for the environment than continuing to drive your current gas car until an affordable EV is available.

There should be ZERO subsidy for any vehicle with an ICE

Good ol squwak.... :)

1659113309768.png

Now it’s seven. A variety of colors and accessories. They are at list price. Personally, I think Tesla simply has surplus. Q C would have to be horrible to have several showing up every day. People over in the S delivery thread would be screaming their heads off.
One Plaid in Seattle, one in Portland...FYI (I had to look)

Or if just one of the 50 Republican Senators cared more about the planet than politics. One Republican vote would make Manchin irrelevant.
What does this bill (at least the EV credits) have to do with the planet? There already is a months-long delay on decent EVs, and manufacturers have been raising prices for months to capitalize on the demand. We have a supply problem, not a demand problem-this is unlikely to result in one more EV sold. In fact short term it's liable to hurt sales as potential buyers wait for the credit to kick in. This bill adds to the deficit at a time when GDP is already falling and drives inflation. And adds animosity to EVs from taxpayers forced to help pay for them, rather they own one or not. My HO anyway, I see it as a mistake. The industry should be able to stand on it's own...as Tesla has demonstrated that it is more than capable of.

Drill Baby, Drill.............

"The measures, outlined late Wednesday in the 725-page spending bill, require the sale of drilling rights in the Gulf of Mexico and Alaska. The bill would also make new renewable power projects on federal land and water contingent on future sales.

“This is a climate suicide pact,” said Brett Hartl, a director with the Center for Biological Diversity, an Arizona-based environmental group. “The amount of leasing this bill mandates is absolutely massive. I don’t think the climate offsets are enough to cover all the drilling that is going to happen.”

Under the legislation, the Interior Department would only be able to issue new wind and solar rights over the next decade if it recently held oil and gas lease sales. The requirements would constrain the administration’s ability to pare fossil fuel developments on federal land, despite pleas from climate activists to halt drilling and rapidly pivot to green energy.

The new oil easing requirements come in addition to other fossil fuel benefits that are loathed by environmentalists …"

The deal announced Wednesday includes subsidies of as much as $85 per metric ton for carbon capture, an amount seen potentially extending the life of coal plants with billions of dollars in tax credits. The increase from the current level of $50 was backed by a coalition of groups that included utility DTE Energy Co. and coal-mining giant Peabody Energy Corp.

Read more: Biden’s Carbon-Capture Plan Hands Lifeline to Coal Plants

The legislation also subsidizes the production and use of hydrogen, a fuel backed by Manchin, through a production tax credit and other means......"

What a waste (subsidized misallocation) of precious batteries when they are forecast to remain in short supply for years! I hate to see my tax dollars spent to actually slow the mission.
Not sure this is true. The average driver does approx 30miles per day, it's probably best for the mission to share the batteries among as many driver as possible to have the first 30 carbon free.

this isn't 2013.

we shouldn't be encouraging ANYONE to buy a hybrid. It's the worst of both worlds, adding massive, totally unnecessary amounts of weight and complexity and maintenance to a vehicle.

In 2022, it's a terrible decision. When I talk to people about EVs, I beg them to buy one, but I also tell them, "I know they are a luxury right now. If you can't swing a fully electric vehicle, please just find a nice, efficient gas car. Hybrids have all the disadvantages of gas, plus all the expense and disadvantages of lugging around a battery, but with more maintenance and complexity than either system on its own."

Hybrids need to die, and should not be thought of as a middle ground or stepping stone between gas and EV.
I disagree after owning a Volt and now a RAV4 Prime along with a model 3. With batteries 1/4 the size of my early Roadster they accounted for far more gas free miles. It is very common to go more than 1500 miles on a tank of petrol. And we really enjoy camping in our little camper and towing in a Tesla is a real pain. Especially since VERY few national Parks or Forests have any electricity. Heck 240v at State parks is very rare. But the RAV4 prime lets us take our camper on extended trips at an average of 31mpg. Something not really possible with my Model 3. I know as I have tried it several times. Range is cut in half and you need to drop the trailer to charge. Like I said a pain.