Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure this is true. The average driver does approx 30miles per day, it's probably best for the mission to share the batteries among as many driver as possible to have the first 30 carbon free.

Problem is studies have shown most PHEV drivers are LAZY and don't plug in their cars. So the benefit is greatly diminished.

I’m a patient man in terms of the monetary value simply because I don’t have a need for the money anytime soon, my window for when I would need funds of any sizable amount would be 2025 but by then Discord will have IPO’d so I might not even sell any TSLA even then.

Unless my memory is failing, your discord IPO'd months ago! ;)

BTW, who names their social messaging platform "Discord" anyway? Maybe I'll come out with a competing social messaging platform and call it "Quarrel". Should be a raging success. I'll let you know when it's going to IPO.

This is what a paradigm shift looks like.

There is a vast green field where consumers are looking for cars. It is empty save a bunch of Teslas and a few other stray cars on the borders.

On the other side of the fence is a big brown muddy field. There are tons of ICE cars over there and a few customers who are a bit too scared of new things to try out the new field just yet. A few Toyotas and PHEVs hybrids are on the edge of the brown field trying to fool consumers into thinking they are in the green field.

Once the customers cross into that new field, very very few go back. They might buy some other car which is in that green field, but crossing back into the muddy brown field no longer makes any sense at all.

Nobody is buying an Infinity when they own a Tesla. They might get a Rivian or maybe even a Mach E. But not an Infinity. They even any Infintys in the green field where they shop.
Watched first segment - basically Tesla winning hands down apart from comparing Taycan <> Model S and EQS <> Model S swaps where Model S "lost" ie hope for legacy. By the sounds of it that didn't compare Porsche <> Model S/Tesla or S class + EQS <> Model S - so as Model S numbers and age are so much higher than Taycan/EQS - not surprising. Clutching at straws, legacy in trouble, I don't think that's what they wanted to hear.

Problem is studies have shown most PHEV drivers are LAZY and don't plug in their cars. So the benefit is greatly diminished.
I think one of the main issues is the tiny range some of the PHEV models offer..wife used to have a BMW PHEV 330i and the maximum range from the battery was like 25 miles, sure does make you lazy to plug in.

this isn't 2013.

we shouldn't be encouraging ANYONE to buy a hybrid. It's the worst of both worlds, adding massive, totally unnecessary amounts of weight and complexity and maintenance to a vehicle.

In 2022, it's a terrible decision. When I talk to people about EVs, I beg them to buy one, but I also tell them, "I know they are a luxury right now. If you can't swing a fully electric vehicle, please just find a nice, efficient gas car. Hybrids have all the disadvantages of gas, plus all the expense and disadvantages of lugging around a battery, but with more maintenance and complexity than either system on its own."

Hybrids need to die, and should not be thought of as a middle ground or stepping stone between gas and EV.

I agree. And I wish PHEVs were not in the bill.

But I will reiterate that it's not all bad. I've known a lot of people who have owned a PHEV and say they almost never buy gas. So a PHEV can definitely be better for the climate if used in that way.

And for many people, they just can't be convinced that they should switch to a BEV just yet. So let them be wrong and get a PHEV for now. I think the market has shown that most will opt for the BEV anyway.

I wish the EV tax credit was not in the bill at all. I'd rather see the money spent for bike paths or grid modernization or any number of things that would help the climate more. But even though the spending is wasteful doesn't mean it won't do some good.

Unless my memory is failing, your discord IPO'd months ago! ;)

BTW, who names their social messaging platform "Discord" anyway? Maybe I'll come out with a competing social messaging platform and call it "Quarrel". Should be a raging success. I'll let you know when it's going to IPO.
Yeah that went out the window just like every other planned IPO for this year when the market rolled over 😅

And yes, they're fully aware of the name making no sense......but hey I'm not going to complain given their business model is not based on ad revenue and thus has avoided the pitfalls that practically every social platform is dealing with since the Apple privacy change sent a death blow to that business model ;)

ford meme.png

What does this bill (at least the EV credits) have to do with the planet? There already is a months-long delay on decent EVs, and manufacturers have been raising prices for months to capitalize on the demand. We have a supply problem, not a demand problem-this is unlikely to result in one more EV sold. In fact short term it's liable to hurt sales as potential buyers wait for the credit to kick in. This bill adds to the deficit at a time when GDP is already falling and drives inflation. And adds animosity to EVs from taxpayers forced to help pay for them, rather they own one or not. My HO anyway, I see it as a mistake. The industry should be able to stand on it's own...as Tesla has demonstrated that it is more than capable of.
A 10 year commitment to support for EV's absolutely has an impact on supply.

Now every miner and EV manufacturer is going to include in their funding presentation that there is regulatory support out to 2030. They will get more funding and therefore will dig up more minerals and make more EVs.

May 6th was the last day that Tesla was this high and that day it closed at 865. The previous day, it closed at 873 after the crash following the Fed meeting. When you look at resistance points, this is a natural one because of those two days, the 250 day MA, and 150 day MA. The next point is just after 900 (908-909). If Tesla breaks through all of these, the next logical resistance is 1000.

The wall today seems to be sitting right at 870, wonder if some afternoon action will push us through or not. Definately not in the $805 region that was predicted. Just giving you a hard time @StarFoxisDown!
I can handle you guys rubbing it in ;). Been waiting months now for a 5 day trading stretch like this where the pattern of weakness in the trading finally flipped to sustained strength. MM's definitely tried earlier in the week to set the tone for the week and try and get as many of the 850-900 Call holders to close those options.

I can handle you guys rubbing it in ;). Been waiting months now for a 5 day trading stretch like this where the pattern of weakness in the trading finally flipped to sustained strength. MM's definitely tried earlier in the week to set the tone for the week and try and get as many of the 850-900 Call holders to close those options.
It does help when the salt that's being rubbed in is administered by cash. 😄