Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing like a little blip to get the ol' heart goin'....

FA7AC516-980A-4CBE-A853-C8B7689C091B.jpeg

One of the reasons Tesla may be trying to get out the vote:

Part of it for sure.

Here's the breakdown for people via the 14a

Proposals 1 and 5-13 are majority of voting shareholders

Proposals 2 and 3 (board terms and elimination of supermajority) require a supermajority vote

Proposal 4 (share increase) requires majority of outstanding shares.

2 and 3 are pretty important to the functioning of the board and Tesla wants them passed. Thus the push for shareholders to vote.

Along with that Tesla is a rarity amongst mega cap stocks... only about ~55% of the float is held by institutions. So they kinda need retail to vote. Whereas somebody like Google is >80%.

Was wondering if any TSLA investors that held through the stock split distributed by share dividend in 2020 recall any issues with the way the DTC issued the dividend shares to shareholders via their brokers?

I assume from reading much earlier posts in this thread that the number of TSLA shares in existence were considered to be far higher than the number of TSLA shares outstanding at the time which in part resulted in the large runs post split.

Reason I'm asking is due to the current events with Gamestop, whereby many believe the spilt week before last was issued as a normal stock split and not a stock split dividend by the DTC despite clear instruction from Gamestop confirming it was to be distributed by dividend. There's a brief summary of what's happening here:

If anyone can recall any doubt over how the split was distributed back in 2020 I'd be grateful to hear your recollection.

Thanks!

Part of it for sure.

Here's the breakdown for people via the 14a

Proposals 1 and 5-13 are majority of voting shareholders

Proposals 2 and 3 (board terms and elimination of supermajority) require a supermajority vote

Proposal 4 (share increase) requires majority of outstanding shares.

2 and 3 are pretty important to the functioning of the board and Tesla wants them passed. Thus the push for shareholders to vote.

Along with that Tesla is a rarity amongst mega cap stocks... only about ~55% of the float is held by institutions. So they kinda need retail to vote. Whereas somebody like Google is >80%.

I guess the question I have is why are these “prominent firms” trying to get folks to vote that way? Just trying to create turbulence within the company/board?

Was wondering if any TSLA investors that held through the stock split distributed by share dividend in 2020 recall any issues with the way the DTC issued the dividend shares to shareholders via their brokers?

I assume from reading much earlier posts in this thread that the number of TSLA shares in existence were considered to be far higher than the number of TSLA shares outstanding at the time which in part resulted in the large runs post split.

Reason I'm asking is due to the current events with Gamestop, whereby many believe the spilt week before last was issued as a normal stock split and not a stock split dividend by the DTC despite clear instruction from Gamestop confirming it was to be distributed by dividend. There's a brief summary of what's happening here:

If anyone can recall any doubt over how the split was distributed back in 2020 I'd be grateful to hear your recollection.

Thanks!
I don't recall any real issues. Some people it took a few days to register fully (totally normal), but I don't recall any not actually getting executed. GME is a different animal because the short float is so, so much higher.

I guess the question I have is why are these “prominent firms” trying to get folks to vote that way? Just trying to create turbulence within the company/board?
IMO the Tesla board likes to operate on their own ideas and viewpoints and not shareholder pushes. They don't want to be required to report on or do something that they don't feel is an issue... where some activist investors (people spin this as a bad term and sometimes it is... but sometimes it isn't) will want certain things reported on. Not really uncommon to have happen.

IMO the Tesla board likes to operate on their own ideas and viewpoints and not shareholder pushes. They don't want to be required to report on or do something that they don't feel is an issue... where some activist investors (people spin this as a bad term and sometimes it is... but sometimes it isn't) will want certain things reported on. Not really uncommon to have happen.
Hopefully these high profile allegations/judgements around discrimination have already pushed some changes.

Reactions: loquitur
Same answer from a variety of UK providers, SIPP & ISA. I did try to register with Tesla from Martin Viecha's tweet, uploaded some evidence - but nothing more yet (other than SEC filing notifications & reminders to vote - there's still time!)

What is the problem with our friends in the UK becoming real TSLA shareholders instead of just owning fake (representational) shares created by a holding company? Real shareholders have a legal right to vote. It sounds like most (all?) of you have the UK equivalent of an ADR (American Depository Receipt). I avoid ADR's because they do not track the returns of the underlying security well over time. That's bad for long-term returns.

Thanks!

Well I guess that answers one question that was thrown around here a lot. Is there any difference between a normal "stock split" and a "stock split dividend" even though in theory they result in exactly the same thing. The answer is an absolute YES. The difference is that for a "stock split" everybody just multiplies the shares/options by the multiplier and your done. For the "Stock split dividend" the DTC has to actually create the additional shares, distribute them to the brokers, and the brokers then have to distribute them to the individual shareholders.

It should really only be a problem for naked shorts, but all of the "professionals" say that nobody has naked shorts for any period of time. I guess we will see if anything happens to the GME stock value when the process is handled correctly.

Last edited:
Well I guess that answers one question that was thrown around here a lot. Is there any difference between a normal "stock split" and a "stock split dividend" even though in theory they result in exactly the same thing. The answer is an absolute YES. The difference is that for a "stock split" every body just multiplies the shares/options by the multiplier and your done. For the "Stock split dividend" the DTC has to actually create the additional shares, distribute them to the brokers, and the brokers then have to distribute them to the individual shareholders.

It should really only be a problem for naked shorts, but all of the "professionals" say that nobody has naked shorts for any period of time. I guess we will see if anything happens to the GME stock value when the process is handled correctly.

You mean when they find a workaround that does not cause a scramble for real shares.

Hopefully these high profile allegations/judgements around discrimination have already pushed some changes.
Well it's certainly in the ether. Just a reminder that the very public 120+ page Tesla 2021 Impact Report
is their official statement about governance and diversity/inclusion, which takes over a 1/3 of the report.

https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2021-tesla-impact-report.pdf

Re: ESG, there is voluminous detail of ethnic makeup by position (compared against industry) from
the factory floor to engineering management. They seem very much like Apple in terms of progressiveness.
Nonetheless there will be professional shareholder meeting "gadflies" thinking they can do a better
job than a forward-looking company, just as there were at Apple meetings for years.

Last edited:
Just an FYI for those with shares in Schwab, Fidelity, or TD Ameritrade. You do not need any special email to vote though the link is a nice shortcut. Just login to your account (desktop version) and follow below. It is called something different on each platform.

Fidelity -> All Accounts -> More -> Documents -> Proxy Materials

Schwab -> Proxy Events will show as a link under “What’s New?” on the right side of the screen when you login.

TD Ameritrade -> My Account -> History & Statements -> Shareholder Library -> eDocuments
In my Schwab interface I had to go => Service => Corporate Actions => Proxy Events (probably since I voted, it wasn't "New" any more).

For the "Stock split dividend" the DTC has to actually create the additional shares, distribute them to the brokers, and the brokers then have to distribute them to the individual shareholders.
Thanks for the response.

Just a small correction here. The company distributes the additional shares via their transfer agent (e.g. computershare) who then provides them to the DTC to distribute. The DTC shouldn't be creating anything.

Anyone lending the stock at the time of a stock split distributed by dividend could be concerned if their shares have been lent out by lender (repeatedly) that they may not receive the full amount of shares in return, if all available shares have already been distributed.

TSLA, GOOG, AMD have all issued stock splits distributed by share dividends, but I can't see any other shareholder groups querying whether they were distributed correctly so maybe it hasn't been an issue previously. It still may not be, but the BaFin (German SEC) announced today that the German brokerages had been instructed incorrectly to issue a stock split and not a stock split distributed by dividend. This has resulted in many shareholders receiving their dividend, having it taken away again, then replaced, only to be told it's still not correctly issued and to expect further disruption.

Again, appreciative of any comments from TSLA shareholders that were holders during the last split.

Again, appreciative of any comments from TSLA shareholders that were holders during the last split.
I just looked in my E*TRADE transaction history and on 8/31/2020 it shows that I "bought" 4x the number of shares I held for $0. (With a description of "TESLA INC COMMON STOCK STK SPLIT ON <x> SHS REC 08/21/20 PAY 08/28/20" where "<x>" was the number of shares I held.)

1659480022139.png