Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still meh. The Chinese are welcome to continue pumping out their mini EVs. Has no bearing on Tesla.
My guess is not all 6 Chinese automakers who ordered mega-casting machines from Idra will be making mini EVs.

Source: NYT Article
In addition to Tesla, LK will supply similar giant casting machines to six Chinese companies by early 2022 as more automakers adopt Tesla’s way of making cars, Mr. Liu said

And that was back in Nov 2021. More Chinese automakers should have expressed interest to Idra given the proven success of Model Y.

The speed at which Chinese automakers copy to use giga-casting techniques from the Tesla shortens Tesla's lead . As Mr. Liu said in the NYT interview, Tesla continuously asks LK for improvements and LK learns from those requests to build better machines, and other automakers ordering from LK indirectly benefits from Tesla experience. I do agree that until Tesla can shorten the delivery wait time, there is no impact to Tesla's immediate orders, but having strong competitors should impact the forward earnings valuation (e.g. for 2030- ) on Tesla's potential auto market share.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABCTG
Some overseas brokers warned them ahead of time...
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT HOLDING OVERSEAS SHARES
There could be delays receiving your dividends as we are unable to credit client accounts with dividends until we have physically received them from CREST.

There may be delays or restrictions on trading securities resulting from a Corporate Action, most notably entitlements or rights.

https://www.hl.co.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/9674978/important-info-overseas-shares.pdf

Can you explain why you feel this is “normal”?

Thanks.

Tesla explained exactly the calendar and conduct of the share dividend in their SEC filing on Aug 11, 2020:

Tesla Announces a Five-for-One Stock Split | Tesla Investor Relations

Tesla Announces a Five-for-One Stock Split​

Globe Newswire​
Aug 11, 2020​
PALO ALTO, Calif., Aug. 11, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tesla, Inc. (“Tesla”) announced today that the Board of Directors has approved and declared a five-for-one split of Tesla’s common stock in the form of a stock dividend to make stock ownership more accessible to employees and investors:
  • Each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020 will receive a dividend of four additional shares of common stock for each then-held share,
  • to be distributed after close of trading on August 28, 2020.
  • Trading will begin on a stock split-adjusted basis on August 31, 2020.

The split happend after-hrs on Fri, Aug 29, 2020. The DTC and brokers had the entire weekend to do the bookkeeping so that the proper number of split-ajusted shares would appear in your brokerage account on Mon, Aug 31 at the start of trading.

Except it didn't for some Retail shareholders. Their Brokers cheated them. This time, I hope Tesla DOES NOT bail them out with a Cap Raise like the $5B of TSLA equity they sold into the Market on Sep 01, 2020.

Tesla don't need the money, and we need to see some Street Justice.

SQUEEZE them bugnutz.
Identify one person who actually tried to sell shares and couldn't. I never saw anybody here complain that they couldn't sell their shares, just that their accounts had wrong numbers. So, nobody was cheated by anybody.

There is no broker on the planet who will guarantee that their statements are always correct.

There was lots of whining, but nobody ever said that they were unable to do a transaction. It was just complaints that their statements didn't reflect what should have been reality. At least for all those with accounts that held their shares directly.

It was a great big nothing. Nobody was cheated out of anything.
just to be clear ... I did not say/infer anyone was cheated ... just there was a lot of chatter ...

Reactions: Boomer19
Yeah, it was a thing. @Boomer19 had the most to contribute on the inside technical workings specifically for the DTC. Do some searches to read the history: (for example, this one spanning from Aug 12-Sep 30, 2020, just use your choice of keywords)

Gist of it is, in the event, certain brokers did not deliver their dividend shares to their beneficial owners in a timely fashion. At the time (Aug 31, 2020), they blamed the DTC saying "we haven't received the shares yet from the DTC".

Well N.S.S. you also didn't recieve a key to that penthouse suite in Monaco, because you didn't BUY or RENT it either. :p

It was only in the Pre-Market on Tue, Sep 01, 2020 when Tesla announced a $5B Cap raise and equity distribution that the SP squeeze was broken, and the SP fell by >30% in a few days (Tesla let the brokers off the hook with the Cap Raise by giving them a source of legitimate shares to buy, rather than naked short shares which DO NOT come with the dividend shares, you know, because they're COUNTERFEIT).

View attachment 835930

Your account was already active here at TMC during these events. I'm surprise (not really) that you don't know this. MOst here ignored it, now can't quite remember it ( looking at you, @henchman24 :p ) Yet over a dozen TMC members reported here that their dividends were not delivered on time, while the SP fell by >30% BEFORE they had a chance to sell their rightfully owned shares. That's a class-action lawsuit in my books.

During the 1st week of Sep 2020, TSLA fell from $538 before the Cap raise was announced to $382 just 3 days later on Fri, Sep 4, 2020. That's a 31% drop, and it represents a stolen selling (or Put buying) opportunity taken from Retail beneficial shareholders by corrupt brokers (those who sell naked short shares via the Madoff Exemption).

View attachment 835931

THIS WAS FRAUD. And a Coverup. And Business-as-Usual on Wall St. Yet no Brokerages were investigated or charged.

#$EC doyourjob

Paging @StealthP3D @Boomer19

I've been through a LOT of splits and they all seemed to go seamlessly. I do vaguely recall one person, on or around 1999, during one split (of another company), claiming he couldn't sell his shares for a day or so after the split but nothing of the magnitude of the irregularities we saw in 2020 with TSLA! I would think the advancement of the Web and of computers, combined with more mature software platforms at major brokerages, would make a split more seamless, not messier to the point of being chaotic! I remember more than one or two TSLA shareholders being incensed that they couldn't sell when they wanted to. It was pretty obvious to me there was funny business going on. Splitting a stock is not rocket science and has been going on since before we had computers. Maybe back then it took 5 days, I don't know, but I doubt it!

I've been through a LOT of splits and they all seemed to go seamlessly. I do vaguely recall one person, on or around 1999, during one split (of another company), claiming he couldn't sell his shares for a day or so after the split but nothing of the magnitude of the irregularities we saw in 2020 with TSLA! I would think the advancement of the Web and of computers, combined with more mature software platforms at major brokerages, would make a split more seamless, not messier to the point of being chaotic! I remember more than one or two TSLA shareholders being incensed that they couldn't sell when they wanted to. It was pretty obvious to me there was funny business going on. Splitting a stock is not rocket science and has been going on since before we had computers. Maybe back then it took 5 days, I don't know, but I doubt it!
Wasn’t there even bigger issues with those that had options and couldn’t trade them in a timely fashion?

I also thought that we had several people who waited more than a week post split for things to get sorted.

Yeah, it was a thing. @Boomer19 had the most to contribute on the inside technical workings specifically for the DTC. Do some searches to read the history: (for example, this one spanning from Aug 12-Sep 30, 2020, just use your choice of keywords)

Gist of it is, in the event, certain brokers did not deliver their dividend shares to their beneficial owners in a timely fashion. At the time (Aug 31, 2020), they blamed the DTC saying "we haven't received the shares yet from the DTC".

Well N.S.S. you also didn't recieve a key to that penthouse suite in Monaco, because you didn't BUY or RENT it either. :p

It was only in the Pre-Market on Tue, Sep 01, 2020 when Tesla announced a $5B Cap raise and equity distribution that the SP squeeze was broken, and the SP fell by >30% in a few days (Tesla let the brokers off the hook with the Cap Raise by giving them a source of legitimate shares to buy, rather than naked short shares which DO NOT come with the dividend shares, you know, because they're COUNTERFEIT).

View attachment 835930

Your account was already active here at TMC during these events. I'm surprise (not really) that you don't know this. MOst here ignored it, now can't quite remember it ( looking at you, @henchman24 :p ) Yet over a dozen TMC members reported here that their dividends were not delivered on time, while the SP fell by >30% BEFORE they had a chance to sell their rightfully owned shares. That's a class-action lawsuit in my books.

During the 1st week of Sep 2020, TSLA fell from $538 before the Cap raise was announced to $382 just 3 days later on Fri, Sep 4, 2020. That's a 31% drop, and it represents a stolen selling (or Put buying) opportunity taken from Retail beneficial shareholders by corrupt brokers (those who sell naked short shares via the Madoff Exemption).

View attachment 835931

THIS WAS FRAUD. And a Coverup. And Business-as-Usual on Wall St. Yet no Brokerages were investigated or charged.

#$EC doyourjob

Paging @StealthP3D @Boomer19

oh no! i can’t go through this again.
i thought we were friends - please lodger!

ok i saw some other people questioning the language in prior posts. for those, a split and a split via stock dividend are the same. there’s no difference in the way the street handles it. (i’m talking about US market here - if you had tesla held in some weird account structure in a foreign land that wasn’t a direct participant of DTCC, well, i’m sorry and that’s unfortunate. but in that case you probably don’t get the same treatment as a US holder with a US based account - but that’s probably the rules and regs of differing country’s market structures fault, not elon’s, not your broker, not dtcc, and not the issuer’s (tesla’s) agent.

to the gme guy, i didn’t read the medium article on gme. i have no idea what’s going on with gme.

for the most part, if you hold/held your shares of gme or tesla or nvda, amzn, googl, goog, aapl, shop, or any other large split that has occurred in the last 2 years at a reputable us brokerage, you got your split shares prior to market open on ex date, so that when the exchanges start quoting at the split adjusted price, your position and equity are inline with the live market. this includes places like IBKR, Fidelity, TD, schwab etc

that’s not to say those brokers didn’t have temporary glitches like unrealized PnL being off, or other nuisances, but the important stuff was correct in most cases.

ex date - date split goes effective
record date = ex+1
allocation date - for splits in US market, usually ex+2

(the real record date, not the nonsense “holders of record date” that’s mentioned in the prospectus that’s before the effective date of the split). people always confuse that, and fail to acknowledge the next sentence about “due bill period” which is the period of time between “holders of record” and the actual real world electronic trading world record date. you start with the tally on record date and include all the transactions during the sue bill period. that’s what’s affected by the split. (or you can just tally what’s up on ex+1 like in modern electronic times).
this archaic jargon is written for times when people traded actual stock certificates and they had to get pony expressed around with due bills attached to them.
i guess that’s almost what the GME clowns want to do by direct registration to “stick it to the man”, (although that can be done electronically - but i trust a modern broker to handle my transactions and inquiries quickly and efficiently INFINITELY more than a transfer agent - anyone that tells you different hasn’t dealt with transfer agents )

….but i hope someday they do actually persevere and stick it to the man - they kid of already did with melvin. i just don’t think that’s the way to do it.

the real record date in a modern electronic market on a t+2 settlement cycle is effective date + 1 (or ex + 1).

the allocation of the shares resulting from a forward stock split by DTCC 95% of time to its participants is ex + 2.
this means this is the day that the issuer’s (the company’s) agent releases the shares to dtcc, and when dtcc makes book entry accounting to all its DIRECT participants.

in my case, IB gave me my tsla spit shares on monday aug 31, 2020 - great.
but IB didn’t get those shares from dtcc until wednesday 9/2 - why? because it takes until the close of biz on record date (9/1) for the DTCC and the issuer’s agent to account for who is owed what, and to agree on the final book entries which are made on allocation date - the next day.
not all corporate actions pay on ex+2, but i’m trying to stay on course

and i capped DIRECT above. many accounts at foreign brokers aren’t direct participants of dtcc for one reason or another. they use a custodian who is a participant of dtcc to clear their US stock trading business. some of these custodians suck. so those customers maybe get allocated later than the US folks…so in that sense not all are treated equal.

i watched the docs, i love the conspiracies, i want them all to burn…but the split handling is generally what i explained above. this, by the way, doesn’t mutually exclude the antics that go on with madoff exemptions and phantom menace- it’s not meant to cancel that. what i’m explaining is just how the plumbing works in a T+2 system

but SIFMA is heading for T+1 soon (remember it wasn’t so long ago we were at T+5) so maybe some of the inefficiency gets cleaned up further in near future. it surely has since the progression from t+5 to t+3 to t+2

god speed!

Ok enough fun and games. When will these legacies learn? BMW uses prismatic cells btw. What makes me scratch my head is wth were they doing during the shake down of these cars?

2022 BMW i4 and iX recalled over potential battery fires​

Owners advised to park outside, told not drive or charge cars

Thankfully it's a tiny population of just 83 vehicles at the moment.

Unlike the Bolt, though, authorities advise the BMWs not be driven nor charged.

Then... hmm somewhere along that road someone at BMW realized hey we should like copy Tesla. :D

Oh I wanna put this failboat into context for yall.

In 2017, as the building blocks for the current generation of EVs was being put in place, BMW’s R&D boss at the time, Klaus Fröhlich, told this correspondent that we wouldn’t see cylindrical cells from BMW without a game-changing chemistry. They’re inherently riskier, because they rely on a more aggressive chemistry to offer the same energy density in the same volume. That talking point was echoed two years later around the debut of BMW’s fifth-generation EV propulsion set, which then debuted in the iX3 and is used in the i4 and iX.

Last edited:
oh no! i can’t go through this again.
i thought we were friends - please lodger!

ok i saw some other people questioning the language in prior posts. for those, a split and a split via stock dividend are the same. there’s no difference in the way the street handles it. (i’m talking about US market here - if you had tesla held in some weird account structure in a foreign land that wasn’t a direct participant of DTCC, well, i’m sorry and that’s unfortunate. but in that case you probably don’t get the same treatment as a US holder with a US based account - but that’s probably the rules and regs of differing country’s market structures fault, not elon’s, not your broker, not dtcc, and not the issuer’s (tesla’s) agent.

to the gme guy, i didn’t read the medium article on gme. i have no idea what’s going on with gme.

for the most part, if you hold/held your shares of gme or tesla or nvda, amzn, googl, goog, aapl, shop, or any other large split that has occurred in the last 2 years at a reputable us brokerage, you got your split shares prior to market open on ex date, so that when the exchanges start quoting at the split adjusted price, your position and equity are inline with the live market. this includes places like IBKR, Fidelity, TD, schwab etc

that’s not to say those brokers didn’t have temporary glitches like unrealized PnL being off, or other nuisances, but the important stuff was correct in most cases.

ex date - date split goes effective
record date = ex+1
allocation date - for splits in US market, usually ex+2

(the real record date, not the nonsense “holders of record date” that’s mentioned in the prospectus that’s before the effective date of the split). people always confuse that, and fail to acknowledge the next sentence about “due bill period” which is the period of time between “holders of record” and the actual real world electronic trading world record date. you start with the tally on record date and include all the transactions during the sue bill period. that’s what’s affected by the split. (or you can just tally what’s up on ex+1 like in modern electronic times).
this archaic jargon is written for times when people traded actual stock certificates and they had to get pony expressed around with due bills attached to them.
i guess that’s almost what the GME clowns want to do by direct registration to “stick it to the man”, (although that can be done electronically - but i trust a modern broker to handle my transactions and inquiries quickly and efficiently INFINITELY more than a transfer agent - anyone that tells you different hasn’t dealt with transfer agents )

….but i hope someday they do actually persevere and stick it to the man - they kid of already did with melvin. i just don’t think that’s the way to do it.

the real record date in a modern electronic market on a t+2 settlement cycle is effective date + 1 (or ex + 1).

the allocation of the shares resulting from a forward stock split by DTCC 95% of time to its participants is ex + 2.
this means this is the day that the issuer’s (the company’s) agent releases the shares to dtcc, and when dtcc makes book entry accounting to all its DIRECT participants.

in my case, IB gave me my tsla spit shares on monday aug 31, 2020 - great.
but IB didn’t get those shares from dtcc until wednesday 9/2 - why? because it takes until the close of biz on record date (9/1) for the DTCC and the issuer’s agent to account for who is owed what, and to agree on the final book entries which are made on allocation date - the next day.
not all corporate actions pay on ex+2, but i’m trying to stay on course

and i capped DIRECT above. many accounts at foreign brokers aren’t direct participants of dtcc for one reason or another. they use a custodian who is a participant of dtcc to clear their US stock trading business. some of these custodians suck. so those customers maybe get allocated later than the US folks…so in that sense not all are treated equal.

i watched the docs, i love the conspiracies, i want them all to burn…but the split handling is generally what i explained above. this, by the way, doesn’t mutually exclude the antics that go on with madoff exemptions and phantom menace- it’s not meant to cancel that. what i’m explaining is just how the plumbing works in a T+2 system

but SIFMA is heading for T+1 soon (remember it wasn’t so long ago we were at T+5) so maybe some of the inefficiency gets cleaned up further in near future. it surely has since the progression from t+5 to t+3 to t+2

god speed!
This is an excellent explanation of the sausage. @Artful Dodger I don’t recall any issues post split last go round after the +2. Doesn’t mean they didn’t exist, just don’t recall anything major (doesn’t mean much… I don’t recall everything from 2 months ago, let alone 2 years). I do remember some had wringing on the first day, but I think people expect it to be instantaneous when it just isn’t (why I said after a few days). If there were major issues beyond a few days, we’d have had Congressional hearings about it. Possible the secondary filed the void, but that is more speculation than fact. Informed speculation, but still speculation.

Last edited:
Not sure why this seems not been posted yet.

Gali ranting about how the media had been FUDing Tesla and murdering Elon’s character.
He did not even bother to beep out F words.

This reminds me Tesla is not just an investment to me, it’s also about supporting a cause even if it means risking losing it all, like many of us did during down turns.

Apropos of nothing, we continue to watch Julius Caesar conquer Gaul, so to speak. So many view the action from the quartermaster‘s tent—nothing against quartermasters mind you—yet that is the last place to get the advance news despite the ‘precision‘ of the trailing. No offense to the bean counters, but were any of you early to the action?

Those with the guts to bet their gut bet early and have been winning and will likely to continue do so—nothing wins like success after all—despite those who despise ‘illogical’ approaches—gestalt thinking, aka ‘emotional‘ and gut in tandem with reason, ftw.

tl:dr Shorts do not cave. The longs are romantic loons. Don’t cover, there’s nothing to worry about. (Don’t say we didn’t warn you. ) lol lol lol. /s

Regular Model S still unavailable, but now listed as 2023 availability. Let’s hope ‘early’ 2023.
We’ll see how much demand there is in Europe for a 150K euro Plaid, but it will be good for the margins.
Interesting to see, in Switzerland the Plaid's price is now shown as CHF 125k ~ USD 130k. It's now CHF 5k cheaper than at the point the prices disappeared (note that in the same time, the the USD has lost ~7% to the CHF)

2 and 3 are pretty important to the functioning of the board and Tesla wants them passed. Thus the push for shareholders to vote.

Along with that Tesla is a rarity amongst mega cap stocks... only about ~55% of the float is held by institutions. So they kinda need retail to vote. Whereas somebody like Google is >80%.
If Tesla want non-US retail to be able to vote then they need to put some effort into fixing the existing system which de facto disenfranchises non-US retail wrt US shares.

Personally my preference for solving this in the particular case of TSLA is a direct voting relationship with TSLA, i.e. not via my broker, and definitely not via some US-corporate entity such as SAY as the latter requires me to give a lot of info & permissions to some intermediary that I really do not care for.

EDIT : to be clear, I want (need) to be able to leave my shares in their UK tax wrappers. But voting would also be good. And if in due course other TSLA shareholder value-adds become available, then I naturally want them as well. Most especially SpaceX or Starlink share purchase opportunities - the former which coincidentally are also in practice not available to non-US folks.

Last edited: