Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI for those with shares in Schwab, Fidelity, or TD Ameritrade. You do not need any special email to vote though the link is a nice shortcut. Just login to your account (desktop version) and follow below. It is called something different on each platform.

Fidelity -> All Accounts -> More -> Documents -> Proxy Materials

Schwab -> Proxy Events will show as a link under “What’s New?” on the right side of the screen when you login.

TD Ameritrade -> My Account -> History & Statements -> Shareholder Library -> eDocuments
B7CE0CDA-C235-44B7-AD65-6C1BC66AEAC3.jpeg

If you have an email listed then you should get that nifty short cut to cast your votes. All 3 brokerage sent out emails on 6/30.

Attachments

• D8C78581-F8F6-4C41-8DA5-EF4E1DF4D911.jpeg
    D8C78581-F8F6-4C41-8DA5-EF4E1DF4D911.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 45
Question for the market experts, tea leaf readers, or chart lovers. (why does that last one sound like a slur?)

Is this accumulation? Light gains daily, some larger ticks up etc.
Relatively flat with volume is a sign of accumulation. It can also be a sign of option coverage on a run. Right now I don't think we have enough data to really say which is actually happening. I'd say there is a larger chance of it being coverage than accumulation, but I've been wrong plenty before.

(for non-Chinese speakers, ZachF posted the Chinese character green in the color green)

Marked this as disagree because in the Chinese stock exchange stock prices are colored green to indicate the stock price has fallen, but when you posted this at 9:35AM $TSLA was up $25 on the day, so that is not accurate, or is confusing me. /s

Last edited:
Here we go lads and lasses….and catses

Let’s do this thing. 1,000 looks purdy

Nah, touching the Upper-BB on the way up triggered the usual technical sell-off: (day traders)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-08-03.09-45.png

And here's the realtime chart from NASDAQ:

TSLA.2022-08-03.09-38.Hi.png

TL;dr If you see, TSLA is riding up it's Upper-BB. As long as that dynamic plays in the Market, TSLA is a HOLD!

Cheers!

Last edited:
That would be nice. Although to me it looks like they are holding it back pretty easily so far.
I think that the situation in Taiwan has a lot of TSLA investors nervous. We'll see what the investor meeting tomorrow yields, but I don't expect any big moves until next week and the China/Taiwan thing settles down again. In the meantime the coiled spring that is TSLA stock will store more energy as production continues to boom along.

End of Sept will be interesting as we get AI Day and the production numbers for Q3.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
(for non-Chinese speakers, ZachF posted the Chinese character green in the color green)

Marked this as disagree because in the Chinese stock exchange green prices is used to indicate the stock price has fallen, but when you posted this at 9:35AM $TSLA was up $25 on the day, so that is not accurate, or is confusing me. /s

Well, it’s Japanese but they use the same character… 🤓

Not sure why this seems not been posted yet.

Gali ranting about how the media had been FUDing Tesla and murdering Elon’s character.
He did not even bother to beep out F words.

This reminds me Tesla is not just an investment to me, it’s also about supporting a cause even if it means risking losing it all, like many of us did during down turns.

Anyone who watched this who didn't click the "like" button should go back and do that. Because it exposes it to more eyeballs, eyeballs that actually need to see it. Gali is preaching to the choir if we are the only ones who watch him. Give him some "likes".

I would also like to point out there are much better ways to support Tesla's mission than buying their stock. Sure, one more owner of Tesla stock might increase the value of TSLA by a billionth or millionth of a cent/share (depending upon how much stock is held) but the performance of Tesla as a disruptive company is not particularly sensitive to their share price. I'm an investor and I buy the stock because I know it will be more valuable in the future than it is now. I want that compound growth in my financial future. If your primary goal is to help Tesla there are better ways to do it than by being a shareholder or even, presently, by buying their cars when they have more demand than they can handle. If you really want to help the company, you will time your new car purchases with the start of Tesla lowering prices to boost demand. When you see that happening, you can gift your used Tesla to someone who can only afford a beater gas-guzzler and buy a new car for yourself. Or skip that step and just buy them the most suitable new car when Tesla starts implementing demand boosting strategies like lowering the price.

I'm just pointing this out because some people claim they buy the stock to help the mission and don't care if they lose it all. Make no mistake, if you don't buy the stock, someone else will. Because people love to make the kind of compound returns that TSLA offers over time. And if Tesla were to fail, all the stock buying in the world will not bring them back to life. That argument might have had some merit in 2012, but not now. So, there is no need for TSLA investors to delude themselves that they are saving the world by risking their money buying stock in the fastest growing large company in the world!

Only a deluded person considers becoming wealthy, doing nothing, a sacrifice!

As an interesting side bar... I've been compiling days like today where Nasdaq has a strong day and Tesla is held down early (held down being under Nasdaq gain). The vast majority of the time (I'm only back to mid 2021, but 75+% of the time), Tesla breaks out at some point during the day to return to at least a 1.5x and about ~30% of the time it goes to 2x. I'm gathering this info to develop a trading strategy that can hopefully be used on Tesla and a few other stocks. This was motivated by a comment a month or two ago here and I think evidence is building that it is a workable way to skim 1-2% in a day.
Hope you share it too? Bob would love this, I think his trading is similar but not so mathematical. However, I'm going to share my small HODLing slip up recently so folks understand the risks of missing out.

So speaking of day trading, I think now would be the worst time to play the skimming game. I don't do this (much ever), but I think the strategy would have better success if done during boring flat spots between earnings etc (if they exist), then only skim small amounts and often (or not at all). But when there's potential for a pop, then popcorn seems more appropriate.

Case and point, I managed to let about 50 shares slip away. I was nervous on the macro and had very low cash reserves for this landscape. So I was day trading a tiny bit as I gained some confidence in my small winnings each week. However, the plan WAS to get that 50 back but I never bought it because for the past 5 days there was no opportunity at all. Now, we're WAY past my last sell and so I can kiss those shares goodbye.

All good, cash maybe be needed, but a part of me feels like I just did it again, recalling the 420 days. Only then I went into cash WAY too soon on about 1/3 of it. After that event levelled out and a new, higher valuation stuck around more, the buying started on what was perceived as a "good deal" and yet way higher than my last sell. That's the punishment that comes much later on.

Great time to HODL!

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Seriously.
Mine is simply an observation... a lack of a squeeze happening would normally be a time to sell after a stock has squeezed. With other events happening I wouldn't in this instance, but normally it would be a sell moment if there wasn't a pop in the midday. I don't really trade TSLA though (I do sell options).

Hope you share it too? Bob would love this, I think his trading is similar but not so mathematical. However, I'm going to share my small HODLing slip up recently so folks understand the risks of missing out.

So speaking of day trading, I think now would be the worst time to play the skimming game. I don't do this (much ever), but I think the strategy would have better success if done during boring flat spots between earnings etc (if they exist), then only skim small amounts and often (or not at all). But when there's potential for a pop, then popcorn seems more appropriate.

Case and point, I managed to let about 50 shares slip away. I was nervous on the macro and had very low cash reserves for this landscape. So I was day trading a tiny bit as I gained some confidence in my small winnings each week. However, the plan WAS to get that 50 back but I never bought it because for the past 5 days there was no opportunity at all. Now, we're WAY past my last sell and so I can kiss those shares goodbye.

All good, cash maybe be needed, but a part of me feels like I just did it again, recalling the 420 days. Only then I went into cash WAY too soon on about 1/3 of it. After that event levelled out and a new, higher valuation stuck around more, the buying started on what was perceived as a "good deal" and yet way higher than my last sell. That's the punishment that comes much later on.

Great time to HODL!
When the data is ready, I'll share it here. I'd like to get a good grasp of what I think it means, display it, and have people tell me I'm wrong. Seriously though! I learn from that!

On the early July pop I sold a LEAP to ensure I had a comfortable margin. I knew I'd probably end up taking pennies on the dollar, but the risk wasn't worth the reward. If I sold that LEAP today, I'd have another 12k in my account... but it was peace of mind (and it was a 'free' leap funded by covered calls).

Anyone who watched this who didn't click the "like" button should go back and do that. Because it exposes it to more eyeballs, eyeballs that actually need to see it. Gali is preaching to the choir if we are the only ones who watch him. Give him some "likes".

I would also like to point out there are much better ways to support Tesla's mission than buying their stock. Sure, one more owner of Tesla stock might increase the value of TSLA by a billionth or millionth of a cent/share (depending upon how much stock is held) but the performance of Tesla as a disruptive company is not particularly sensitive to their share price. I'm an investor and I buy the stock because I know it will be more valuable in the future than it is now. I want that compound growth in my financial future. If your primary goal is to help Tesla there are better ways to do it than by being a shareholder or even, presently, by buying their cars when they have more demand than they can handle. If you really want to help the company, you will time your new car purchases with the start of Tesla lowering prices to boost demand. When you see that happening, you can gift your used Tesla to someone who can only afford a beater gas-guzzler and buy a new car for yourself. Or skip that step and just buy them the most suitable new car when Tesla starts implementing demand boosting strategies like lowering the price.

I'm just pointing this out because some people claim they buy the stock to help the mission and don't care if they lose it all. Make no mistake, if you don't buy the stock, someone else will. Because people love to make the kind of compound returns that TSLA offers over time. And if Tesla were to fail, all the stock buying in the world will not bring them back to life. That argument might have had some merit in 2012, but not now. So, there is no need for TSLA investors to delude themselves that they are saving the world by risking their money buying stock in the fastest growing large company in the world!

Only a deluded person considers becoming wealthy, doing nothing, a sacrifice!
"Elon Musk goes and takes a piss.....headline reads Elon Musk rapes a urinal" - 100% accurate. :)

Please do a bit of research before letting your prejudice deceive In addition to Tesla you may first look at only the brands you know, because of course ones not known to you are, by definition, minEV’s, like these:
Just to avoid ones not known to you check Volvo (despite PR, their EV run on a Chinese platform and half of them are built there.’)
check it for yourself. They’ve lots of Mini to be sure.
I don’t want to shock you with unknown names, but one was an early Warren Buffet choice and now even sells it’s batteries far and wide for vehicles and storage with a modular approach that is widely applauded. But, they make no mini-EV so can they be Chinese?

Please do some of your own research. Please! I respect you too much to give up on you.
Check out some Chinese OEM that make large SUV and do so globally. Chery, building in Brazil and with highest quality rating in country, making conquest of Mercedes, BMW owners and now building Tesla model 3 sized BEV in Brazil. Of note, they are, as BYD is, moving from ICE to BEV, building new factories and…both are LK customers.

After some research tell me again how the Chinese just make mini EV. You might want to find out why Mercedes Benz has it’s BEV built and engineered largely in China. Hint: it is NOT cheap labor. That concept is sooo 1980’s.

Again, please, please don’t believe me. Do your own research.

disclosure: I own a Chinese origin BEV. I prefer my Plaid, but the Volvo does work.
Simply - not interested in what the Chinese are doing beyond Tesla Shanghai.

I’ve literally said for years on this forum that all OEMs are dead (just a matter of time) but for the Chinese. The Chinese having mega presses or copying Tesla in a myriad of other ways doesn’t even get an eyebrow raise from me. I’m only concerned with Tesla and how they navigate obstacles and continue to move forward with particular attention to innovation, efficiencies and all that good stuff that’s gotten them to this point.

Incoming Zen; worry about yourself and what’s on your plate because that you control, worrying about everyone else and what they’re doing takes focus away and stagnates your own progress.

I will not be paralyzed by would be fears and possibilities. There’s plenty of people already doing that. The Chinese won’t catch Tesla as long as Tesla continues to focus on their mission. You can’t beat that which you simply copy.