Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@unk45 : Re Brazil workforce that is interesting, especially as it differs from my personal observation. I am used to visiting clients' in Brazil, at their factories that range from mid-tech to high-tech. My observation has been that whilst there is a lot of competition for skilled workforce, so too is there sufficiency of supply coming through the system. I'm also used to Brazilian made vehicles all over Mercosur. In Mercosur at present I cannot envisage anyone putting an automotive factory in Argentina until they have proved they can run a stable political and economic system for at least a decade (which is to say, never). Which really only leaves Brazil as a viable choice. In my opinion there is a sufficient market to absorb two lines of product (a 3 and a Y line) which gives time for the 2/Z, and the van products to become available, both of which would be sufficient to take a Brazil-based factory to 2m/yr or so.

@MP3Mike : However you make a very valid point re the unproven nature of the Brazil market wrt Tesla. There is no Tesla Supercharger network or sales & service network in Brazil.

Given this, if Tesla are seeking focus then the obvious choices are either USA, EU, or China. However if Tesla are seeking some form of further diversification at this stage then there are only three other countries that meet the tests of being a proven & sufficient market* with existing Tesla networks: Mexico, South Korea, Japan. So really that gives Tesla six candidate areas to choose from depending on how Tesla prioritises the various factors in their selection mix. I am unsure of the extent to which Mexico has any better access into Mercosur though, as a way of testing/developing the Brazil market - didn't the 2002 FTA process run into quicksand ? Can anyone comment knowledgeably on that ?

Which is to say that a lot of people will be taking a keen interest in the movements of Tesla senior management team over the next six months.

View attachment 837380

* I exclude Australia due to it probably being an insufficient market, and Turkey is a basket case right now under the madness of Erdogan (besides which, if you zoom in on the red dots in Turkey, they turn a disappointing grey).

You are making very valid points. There is zero doubt that Brazilian workers can be excellent and that large numbers of that exist from Embraer, Stellantis, GM, CAOA (Hyundai, Chery) to medical research (two leaders in vaccine development, and so on. I can list the positives for hours!
That even ignores superb restaurants and many other things that make quality of life for the well-educated and well-off very high. Even medical access is far better than in my other country.

But…government malfunction is threatening all that, much of which has been built using the Federal university system. That is threatening all the advances of recent decades.

As for EV infrastructure, it is advancing quickly, not too visible because Brazil,is the size of the continental US. The growth of BEV adoption is high, but from a tiny base. Among my community there are numerous BEV now, none a year ago. There is a new Model Y in my nephews building. Most new residential buildings have EV charging and feature that in promotions. Solar and wind power are growing rapidly, as is battery storage (almost all Chinese with BYD leading the high end). Right now the high end of the market is thriving with Porsche leading the pack.

Strangely, perhaps, ultra-right politicians advised by, among others, Steve Bannon, is increasing political divisions in Argentina, Chile and Brazil even Uruguay. Mercosur is in serious disarray. Skipping details (relevant but OT) cohesive policy for industry is not present.
At the moment Chinese company are the only ones which have navigated all that successfully.

The most serious is, though, is scale. There is not enough scale in Mercosur to support a gigafactory (1.5-2 million annually). Exports could help (Mercedes has exported some trucks and cars to the US) but none do now. Ford gave up factories here, after a century building vehicles here. GM does well, mostly with Korean-developed models.

Here, though, is the fundamental, intractable problem:
100% of the Brazil market just may be, at a stretch, enough to support one gigafactory.

My past enthusiasm was built on the idea that Tesla would build smaller factories for smaller markets. Elon clearly indicated that approach is not planned today. We’re they to build a, say, 300,000 annual capacity plant, build Gigapack, Megapack, and Superchargers galore, that could work very well. If Tesla could scale the bureaucracy (probably could, both Bolsonaro and Lula make pro-Tesla sounds) Tesla could build solar/wind powered Superchargers nationwide so power, profitably, all those BEV trucks, busses and cars that everyone else is beginning to make. Vale is right here to help supply almost all the needs for raw materials.

All that is plausible. However, the world has rather larger and easier places to serve first.
I, of all people, strongly dislike my opinion. Facts are intractable, I don’t like them, but cannot deny them.

Yesterday had a golf tournament, two persons in my flight appeared to be Porsche fanatics with beautiful 911 cabrio's.
Nice guys, and yes they had an opinion on Tesla, of course.
After the very agreeable golf match, in the restaurant, the so-called 'nineteenth hole':

One had recently bought a BMW and said that he had struck a fine deal, 100.000 km, no cost for maintenance.
I was asked: how much was your maintenance last two years, apart from tires?
My answer: "Nothing. By the way, I like your cars, also have a 911 cabrio".
I told them the staggering amount of money I have spent on my 911 as a result of a Porsche design flaw.
Yes, they knew about that problem.
It became a little bit quiet on the other side of the table.

Then, after several minutes of debunking Tesla FUD:
One of them had never been in a Tesla. But surely he would miss the growl of that Porsche flat six?
"OK, come with me, we will drive a few km. I will steer, as you have been drinking."
It never becomes boring to see the grin on the face of a Porsche owner when he experiences a Tesla for the first time.
Afterwards he said: I will take my wife on a Tesla test drive next week. Which one should I try?
"Try Model Y P"
I already know how this story will end.

In some places, mine for example, Waze and Google maps are mostly identical, even including identical traffic alerts and road closures. Recently I was navigating with Google maps, my spouse was following the trip on Waze. Our destination street was suddenly closed due to an accident on the block. The event appeared simultaneously on both.

Prior to that event I was not quite positive that they were now almost identical, at least for Copacabana. The only difference for me is the upload of trips to my car. Google Maps can, but Waze only shares a link. Otherwise the primary data feeds seem to be from Waze users and vehicles that use Google Maps as native navigation.

Some of us may have more definitive information than I do. I hope so.
That's good information. Sounds like traffic data is shared between Google maps and Waze.

But again, Google maps doesn't tell you where the cops are. Waze does this but users have to manually report it.

Tesla's system can detect cops automatically using its onboard AI hardware. It could automatically detect deer that are near the road. Elon mentioned detecting pot holes, but the possibilities go far beyond that.

If Tesla is putting big resources behind "Waze on steroids", this could be a really big deal. It's a tremendous feature that nobody else could match. And it's a lot easier to solve than self driving. My only question is, was Elon hinting that they are working on this right now?

Regarding whether Elon was selling on Friday:

I don't think it's possible that he was selling in anticipation of losing his Twitter case. If he does lose, the court will give him the time he needs to come up with the money.

It is possible, however, that Elon and Twitter have reached a settlement. That might cause him to raise some extra cash immediately.

I wasn't able to quickly find where Elon made his "buy the dips" comment at the shareholder meeting. The context of this comment might be telling. Perhaps that was a warning?

Reactions: Stormy24
I wasn't able to quickly find where Elon made his "buy the dips" comment at the shareholder meeting. The context of this comment might be telling. Perhaps that was a warning?
I don't recall exactly what Elon mentioned that led into his"buying opportunity" remark, but I was at the meeting and can tell you that everything he was saying exuded confidence that Tesla will be more valuable in the future. Not that it would be impossible, but I would take it as a slap in the face if he sold shares the following day.

Agree on the loads of other stuff:

If Tesla gets into home heat pumps/HVAC, Solar roof takes off, and assuming some level of ancillary upgrades (insulation, under floor radiation needed to improve the performance of heat pumps) the total price could be substantial enough that Tesla can get into the mortgage market to re-finance peoples mortgages to fund the upgrades.

If you've already got these various loans with Tesla then it just makes sense for them to spin up a fully fledged bank/financial services company. There's plenty of people that would have more faith in Tesla than many of the existing commercial banks.

I'm surprised Apple/Google never got into this area in a bigger way given all the payments they handle - perhaps tech co's want to avoid additional regulatory scrutiny.
Captive finance is not a license to mint money, despite the potential market. From the very first captive finance company, GMAC in 1919 and General Ele truc Credit in 1932 the idea was to finance purchases of Model T and refrigerators to people who could not afford them. Nothing fundamental has changed.

Tesla and Solar City before, have dealt in financing of various kinds. They do still and that will grow. Every significant move, including Tesla Insurance, has been built of quite careful thought about what Tesla must do to be significantly better than other choices.

Elon Musk knows and understands both finance and the entire financial services industry. Neither he nor Tesla will do something simply for profit, there must be contribution to objectives. Regulation hasn’t much to do with that, pro or con.

Most major recessions and depressions have involved financing excesses driven by over-optimistic financiers or worse. Tesla executives know that too. Apple, Google, Amazon and Tesla all aren’t ready to choose to do something that yields higher risk and lower rewards.

If you ask where hubris goes, ask Goldman Sachs how they feel about the Apple Card. Great from consumer perspective, not so glamorous for them.

I hope TSLA steers clear, as they’re doing, unless there are very solid reasons why.
If TSLA ever makes big moves in financial services without them I’ll immediately sell my shares and join the shorts. I do not ever expect to need to do that. Elon is not crazy.

Just had a thought about Elon's twitter comment during the shareholder meeting.

Lots of people believes what he said is Elon going all in on Twitter with the X.com stuff. However I just remembered that since this is in litigation, anything he say about twitter will be used as evidence. There are a lot of news articles and opinion pieces stating that Elon has little or no intentions for buying twitter due to buyers regret and is using the bot thing as an excuse to get out. So Elon said what he said during the shareholder meeting to establish intent so they couldn't use that reasoning against him. It may have nothing to do with him going all in on twitter but just strategic for his court case.

I say this because usually people stop commenting after its in litigation without a lawyers stamp of approval to move the court of public opinion. My hunch is his comment was prepared by his lawyer and himself for strategic purposes.

Last edited:
It seems better to take Elon at his word. He has an idea for the future and feels that acquiring Twitter will shorten the lead time to achieve it by several years.
Yeah, something never expressed until now for whatever reason.......

You either stick to what you said before to the tee, or having no comment. Saying anything new, especially as big as what he said, would give his lawyers a heart attack if it wasn't pre approved.

• Informative
Reactions: traxila and wtlloyd
I don't recall exactly what Elon mentioned that led into his"buying opportunity" remark, but I was
Right here is the “buying opportunity “ remark, at 57:14 mark, in regards when the Tesla share price goes down and people starts panicking. It was an example of short term things that people worry about but shouldn’t, which was the question he was answering.

Also note, Twitter was unintentionally mentioned at 55:30, if anyone is looking for that. He did’t say anything at all in regards to Twitter, except to make funny faces and a pause for audience reaction.

C50FC775-C839-47FA-9194-D84BDD59307C.jpeg

Last edited:
The factory I was talking about is in Shanghai.

A delay on the CATL factory in the US isn't ideal, but Ford or Rivian might also be the intended customer.
And how is this less of a problem then ?

The provocation of this conflict is likely intended to attack all electrification efforts, the war mongeribg has been going on for years now, and this just now is starting to show results that play into the hands of the fossil fuel industry.

German news doubling down about how german politicians plan to be traveling to Taiwan to spite China.

This can result in a big setback in our mission

In Elons comments about battery recycling he mentioned a 12 to 15 year (iirc) typical lifetime of batteries. Which means I shouldn’t hope too much to be able to drive my Model S for 20 years without having to replace the batteries. If 12 years is the average lifetime, and 15 years max, 9 years is probably the start of the failure Gauss curve. Just above the 8 years warranty.
I’d better sell my 6.5 year Model S before the 8 year warranty is over.

Are we going to be able to get refurbed or new batteries for our old babies? I had figured on that when I bought my car end-2015. Although most likely I’m going to use my S as a local car, and CyberTruck for road trips about then, so declining battery range won’t be a big issue (now 220 rated in 70D).

@unk45 : Re Brazil workforce that is interesting, especially as it differs from my personal observation. I am used to visiting clients in Brazil, at their factories that range from mid-tech to high-tech. My observation has been that whilst there is a lot of competition for skilled workforce, so too is there sufficiency of supply coming through the system. I'm also used to Brazilian made vehicles all over Mercosur. In Mercosur at present I cannot envisage anyone putting an automotive factory in Argentina until they have proved they can run a stable political and economic system for at least a decade (which is to say, never). Which really only leaves Brazil as a viable choice. In my opinion there is a sufficient market to absorb two lines of product (a 3 and a Y line) which gives time for the 2/Z, and the van products to become available, both of which would be sufficient to take a Brazil-based factory to 2m/yr or so.

@MP3Mike : However you make a very valid point re the unproven nature of the Brazil market wrt Tesla. There is no Tesla Supercharger network or sales & service network in Brazil.

Given this, if Tesla are seeking focus then the obvious choices are either USA, EU, or China. However if Tesla are seeking some form of further diversification at this stage then there are only three other countries that meet the tests of being a proven & sufficient market* with existing Tesla networks: Mexico, South Korea, Japan. So really that gives Tesla six candidate areas to choose from depending on how Tesla prioritises the various factors in their selection mix. I am unsure of the extent to which Mexico has any better access into Mercosur though, as a way of testing/developing the Brazil market - didn't the 2002 FTA process run into quicksand ? Can anyone comment knowledgeably on that ?

Which is to say that a lot of people will be taking a keen interest in the movements of Tesla senior management team over the next six months.

View attachment 837380

* I exclude Australia due to it probably being an insufficient market, and Turkey is a basket case right now under the madness of Erdogan (besides which, if you zoom in on the red dots in Turkey, they turn a disappointing grey).

Any specific reason you don´t mention Canada?

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Yes Elon certainly checks with his lawyer before speaking...oh, wait a minute... 🤔
I certainly hope so when the court case is in 2 months which Elon have already asked for an extension and expressed how it's not enough time for discovery. If Elon changing strategy on a whim because Elon is being Elon then he is playing 1D retard chess.