Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The provocation of this conflict is likely intended to attack all electrification efforts, the war mongeribg has been going on for years now, and this just now is starting to show results that play into the hands of the fossil fuel industry.

In what way? If anything China represents the electrification effort and the US is desperately holding onto oil & gas.

There has to be an insider trading policy that restricts trades (and with the scrutiny TSLA has from the SEC... they'll have this). Tesla has one that is referenced in their filings. You can sell in a 10b5-1 plan at any time as long as it is a plan. The blackouts happen around earnings.

Found this here (unknown if accurate):

If we state the same timeframe is out there, then it goes until mid September.

We also know Elon is subject to one because the funding is secured settlement had to be executed during the next trading window after it was agreed to.
Saul Geller has it right. Let me rephrase for those who can't or won't understand: The blackout window for insider trading extends from 15 days before the end of a reporting period (i.e., quarterly results)) and runs until 2 days after the reporting of said results. Also, to clarify, a 10b5-1 plan does not allow an insider to sell at any time they wish. It allows for the sale of stock at pre-determined dates.

Any specific reason you don´t mention Canada?
I considered it, but it seems to me that from Tesla's perspective to have all the disadvantages of the US north-east (which is a loose term that can go quite far south) with none of the advantages. However much I personally might find Canada attractive (and I do) it doesn't seem as good a choice for Tesla at this stage. I'd previously mentally pencilled out Mexico myself for reasons of political sensitivity, but if Mexico were to provide a way to test out the Brazil market (as well as access NAFTA) then I guess it as as good a contender as Japan and South Korea.

This seemed a good summary of the global market sizes, helpfully organised by trade bloc which is the real issue here:

"Brazil is also the sixth-largest automobile market in the world with almost 2.8mn newly registered cars in 2019, following China with 21mn, the US with almost 17mn, the EU with 15mn, Japan with 4.3mn and India with almost 3mn new car registrations. "

Mercosur as a whole is 3.3m vehicles/year.

"Mercosur is a market of approximately 270 million people, where 3.3 million new cars were sold last year. The EU exported 73,000 cars to the region in 2018, representing 2.2% of the total market. By contrast, some 234,000 cars were imported into Mercosur from other countries, accounting for almost 8% of the market."

By contrast Canada itself is only 1.7m/yr in size,

Within Tesla they will have a much better handle on whether Optimus may be viable and if so how fast. That has got to greatly influence the entire factory template(s) as the availability of a suitable workforce is a key criteria. Let's hope they don't repeat the flufferbot saga.

@unk45 : Re Brazil workforce that is interesting, especially as it differs from my personal observation. I am used to visiting clients in Brazil, at their factories that range from mid-tech to high-tech. My observation has been that whilst there is a lot of competition for skilled workforce, so too is there sufficiency of supply coming through the system. I'm also used to Brazilian made vehicles all over Mercosur. In Mercosur at present I cannot envisage anyone putting an automotive factory in Argentina until they have proved they can run a stable political and economic system for at least a decade (which is to say, never). Which really only leaves Brazil as a viable choice. In my opinion there is a sufficient market to absorb two lines of product (a 3 and a Y line) which gives time for the 2/Z, and the van products to become available, both of which would be sufficient to take a Brazil-based factory to 2m/yr or so.

@MP3Mike : However you make a very valid point re the unproven nature of the Brazil market wrt Tesla. There is no Tesla Supercharger network or sales & service network in Brazil.

Given this, if Tesla are seeking focus then the obvious choices are either USA, EU, or China. However if Tesla are seeking some form of further diversification at this stage then there are only three other countries that meet the tests of being a proven & sufficient market* with existing Tesla networks: Mexico, South Korea, Japan. So really that gives Tesla six candidate areas to choose from depending on how Tesla prioritises the various factors in their selection mix. I am unsure of the extent to which Mexico has any better access into Mercosur though, as a way of testing/developing the Brazil market - didn't the 2002 FTA process run into quicksand ? Can anyone comment knowledgeably on that ?

Which is to say that a lot of people will be taking a keen interest in the movements of Tesla senior management team over the next six months.

View attachment 837380

* I exclude Australia due to it probably being an insufficient market, and Turkey is a basket case right now under the madness of Erdogan (besides which, if you zoom in on the red dots in Turkey, they turn a disappointing grey).

What is the political and crime situation like in Brazil these days? I haven't followed it. The GM division I used to work at had a plant in Brazil; one of my coworkers in manufacturing engineering went there and was mugged, Violence and crime was pretty universal, with most of those in the middle class, and nearly all foreigners, living in well guarded, gated communities. IIRC kidnapping of foreigners was also an issue. That was nearly 30 years ago so probably none of that applies any longer-I'd certainly hope not.

I agree with him on this. I was updating my spreadsheet last night to model out the growth of 12 factories to achieve 20 million production by EoY 2030 and it does look quite foreboding. That's only 8 1/2 years to build and ramp 8 more Giga's:

2023 - start building 2 new Giga's
2025 - start building 2 new Giga's
2026 - start building 2 new Giga's
2027 - start building 2 new Giga's

I agree, tall order. Not out of the question though, just very difficult and ambitious.

ALSO, it's important to keep in mind that during these 8.5 years:
- Tesla Energy will continue it's exponential ramp
- FSD will release Level 5
- Robotaxi's will become a thing
- Tesla Bot will enter production

In what way? If anything China represents the electrification effort and the US is desperately holding onto oil & gas.

Precisely.

I don't understand this at all over the years. What's the end game for oil and gas if the world just goes to hell and they rake in the profits? Rationally, what's the long-term strategy for saving their lives over the rest of the human population that's combating against oil & gas and trying to transition to renewables?

If you've already got these various loans with Tesla then it just makes sense for them to spin up a fully fledged bank/financial services company. There's plenty of people that would have more faith in Tesla than many of the existing commercial banks.

I'm surprised Apple/Google never got into this area in a bigger way given all the payments they handle - perhaps tech co's want to avoid additional regulatory scrutiny.

Elon‘s vision for X.com, which turned into PayPal, was never realized. X.com was supposed to upend retail banking in a big way. Meaning deposits, loans, online and physical payments and other assorted financial products.

Elon‘s statements about Twitter (not only at the shareholder meeting) indicates he sees Twitter as a platform to roll out all those X.com services he was never able to bring to fruition before.

So to the extent that Elon gets into loans, it’ll be as a separate company, under the X.com brand. And unfortunately, there’s no way to buy into that vision at this point (unless you’ve got $1B to co-invest) since he’ll be taking Twitter private.

I would love to read the sales pitch he has been making to possible Twitter co-investors … anyone know if there’s been leaked info about this?

Are we going to be able to get refurbed or new batteries for our old babies? I had figured on that when I bought my car end-2015. Although most likely I’m going to use my S as a local car, and CyberTruck for road trips about then, so declining battery range won’t be a big issue (now 220 rated in 70D).
They do not make the old packs anymore, so you will get refurbished packs.

I agree with him on this. I was updating my spreadsheet last night to model out the growth of 12 factories to achieve 20 million production by EoY 2030 and it does look quite foreboding. That's only 8 1/2 years to build and ramp 8 more Giga's:

I agree, tall order. Not out of the question though, just very difficult and ambitious.
At the same time raw material scaling needs to be solved and/or fsd needs to be solved. There's not enough demand for 20M cars with an asp of 50k unless fsd is solved or asp drop big time through 4680/or smaller compact car. Lots have to go right for that 20M goal besides just building the factories.

Also if optimus is a thing, that need factories too.

ALSO, it's important to keep in mind that during these 8.5 years:
- Tesla Energy will continue it's exponential ramp
- FSD will release Level 5
- Robotaxi's will become a thing
- Tesla Bot will enter production
Maybe not such a tall order. One of the takeaway points from battery day was the decreased footprint needed for battery production on scale.

I don't understand this at all over the years. What's the end game for oil and gas if the world just goes to hell and they rake in the profits? Rationally, what's the long-term strategy for saving their lives over the rest of the human population that's combating against oil & gas and trying to transition to renewables?
From my conservative ex-coworkers (who have young kids BTW) : "If it isn't going to happen within thirty years, I don't care."

I considered it, but it seems to me that from Tesla's perspective to have all the disadvantages of the US north-east (which is a loose term that can go quite far south) with none of the advantages. However much I personally might find Canada attractive (and I do) it doesn't seem as good a choice for Tesla at this stage. I'd previously mentally pencilled out Mexico myself for reasons of political sensitivity, but if Mexico were to provide a way to test out the Brazil market (as well as access NAFTA) then I guess it as as good a contender as Japan and South Korea.

This seemed a good summary of the global market sizes, helpfully organised by trade bloc which is the real issue here:

"Brazil is also the sixth-largest automobile market in the world with almost 2.8mn newly registered cars in 2019, following China with 21mn, the US with almost 17mn, the EU with 15mn, Japan with 4.3mn and India with almost 3mn new car registrations. "

Mercosur as a whole is 3.3m vehicles/year.

"Mercosur is a market of approximately 270 million people, where 3.3 million new cars were sold last year. The EU exported 73,000 cars to the region in 2018, representing 2.2% of the total market. By contrast, some 234,000 cars were imported into Mercosur from other countries, accounting for almost 8% of the market."

By contrast Canada itself is only 1.7m/yr in size,

Within Tesla they will have a much better handle on whether Optimus may be viable and if so how fast. That has got to greatly influence the entire factory template(s) as the availability of a suitable workforce is a key criteria. Let's hope they don't repeat the flufferbot saga.
Indonesia is a fat resource of high quality battery materials, nickel in particular. They have sent high-level Government officials to confer with Elon personally, but have made clear they will not accept mere enrichment and export of resources. They want Tesla. They want manufacturing investment and of course that would leverage their export income far beyond base resource marketing. China is making investments across the globe, Africa and South America in particular. Would there be reason for an argument that the value of Indonesia's resources would tilt investment decisions in their favor? That whoever is able to secure a relationship early in this global shift in energy production will be best positioned to reap the rewards of resource development in that region?

I would love to read the sales pitch he has been making to possible Twitter co-investors … anyone know if there’s been leaked info about this?
There was a bunch of reporting on this around 6 May, mostly coming from NYT, updated article here: Inside Elon Musk’s Big Plans for Twitter

The X.com style plans Elon referred to at the shareholder meetings appear more expansive than what was reported previously.