Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just saying the ramifications of them failing 'overnight' would be huge. Not only jobs lost (across multiple industries) but just think if a foreign company bought the Ford or GM name after they failed. I bet the Chinese government is salivating at the thought of owning those American brand names swapping out BYD for a Ford/GM badge and selling to unsuspecting customers like hotcakes.

Good thing we have Tesla or else the entire US auto industry would soon be owned by foreign investors.
Not to change the subject, but Stallantis (current owner of Chrysler) has got and is developing some pretty competitive BEV's in Europe and I doubt it would take too much modification to bring them to the US. I know Dodge is already planning to convert the Challenger and Charger to electric, but some new affordable and proven vehicles that could be built in the States under an American moniker might make for more BEV adoption in the US.

Any comments from our European members are welcome!

Reactions: RabidYak
On the overall market, we found where resistance is... now we need to find where support is. It looks to me like the market wants to setup for a 13,000/4200 test on Wednesday's numbers on the top end. On the bottom end, 12,200/4000. Sitting right at 12,700/4150 COB tomorrow seems like the best place to land (right now, more difficult to break resistance up than down).

When does Tesla introduced the Model 3 Mid Range for $54,990 with a 300 mile range? Software limited that people can upgrade via software update to LR.
Isn't FSD also an option that can be added post purchase? Perhaps there are other options that could be installed OTA that would allow the original purchase price to be $50K or less.

Also, does the bill allow for inflation? If the rebate is applicable for 10 years, things are certainly going to cost more (although maybe not BEV's). Inflation should definitely be included if it will be available for that length of time.

Opening the Supercharger network probably doesn't qualify for anything. (Part of the problem, as I understand it, is that V2 Superchargers don't meet the minimum requirements.) Opening a existing V3 site might qualify, but probably only for the cost of adding the CCS cables, not the original install costs.

Expanding the network might qualify. But isn't the money that is currently allotted for installing EV chargers being doled out directly to the states, based on a plan that they have to submit in the next ~month, and then they have to spend the money. (They could hire Tesla to install the chargers, but somehow I doubt that is going to happen in very many, if any, states.)
I'd have to ask why you would think that (provided of course that these chargers are compatible with other brands as well). From what I have read, Tesla has bid to do Supercharger stations for significantly less than competitive companies. Of course, other chargers can't charge Teslas (without an adapter) which cuts out the largest share of the potential market base of users. Tesla's charging network is much more reliable than the competition, offering better uptime. And finally, contracting with Tesla for a charging network can't hurt a state's chance to attract Tesla investment in a new Gigafactory site. Seems like some compelling reasons to select Tesla, rather than say Chargepoint or EA.

I couldn't find a topic on Redwood Materials so I am posting it here. Loup Ventures thinks Redwood is more than battery recycling. They are moving into battery manufacturing too using those recycled materials.

Here is a snippet that caught my attention, and I thought it didn't make sense to me. Cathode is the "positively" charged end of the battery that discharges electrons ?

1659983821813.png

I'd have to ask why you would think that (provided of course that these chargers are compatible with other brands as well). From what I have read, Tesla has bid to do Supercharger stations for significantly less than competitive companies.
Yep, they did. And Texas didn't give any of the money to Tesla, they selected all competitors that cost way more per stall.

Also, I don't think V3 sites even meet the requirements as they are normally built. (Unable to provide 150kW to every stall at the same time.)

No way around it. This is some BS. 4% in gains lost for no reason at all.
Yup, TSLA back to trading like a dog. Sure was nice to get a couple weeks of reprieve from how terrible TSLA trade's but now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Yes TSLA will likely pop on 1 or 2 days over the next two weeks. But MM's do their usual thing to made the stock underperform to account for those 1-2 day pops.

This thing likely trading like a dog until Q3 P/D or Q3 earnings. At this point, I think the only thing that will force this issue is blowout earnings on a large scale that rapidly drop TSLA's TTM P/E and/or force Moody's/S&P into the credit rating upgrade. Don't be at all surprised when TSLA rockets 15-20% in a single day for no reason followed by a Moody's/S&P rating upgrade the following week

Yup, TSLA back to trading like a dog. Sure was nice to get a couple weeks of reprieve from how terrible TSLA trade's but now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Yes TSLA will likely pop on 1 or 2 days over the next two weeks. But MM's do their usual thing to made the stock underperform to account for those 1-2 day pops.

This thing likely trading like a dog until Q3 P/D or Q3 earnings
Did squwak square hijack @StarFoxisDown! account? Asking for a friend

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

No way around it. This is some BS. 4% in gains lost for no reason at all.

Personally, I'd wait until it's passed. Something, that I can't put into data, is the price action for TSLA over the years has resembled the "investment after success" mentality. That is, the investment in TSLA occurs only if Tesla succeeds in what it says it goes out to do. It's one of the few companies with a CEO that announces what they're going to do before they do it with grand ambitions...

...then, goes out and does it. Most companies just report once they have something finite. For example with this Inflation Reduction Act, personally I don't expect the share price to (significantly) increase until after its signed by President Biden. The same has gone on, at least to me, with Giga Nevada start, Giga Shanghai, Model 3 ramp, Model S ramp (back in the day), and also FSD/Bots.

The speculation on TSLA has always been high because its grand ambitions that are pronounced early IMO...and, then, executed on with aplomb.

Yep, they did. And Texas didn't give any of the money to Tesla, they selected all competitors that cost way more per stall.

Also, I don't think V3 sites even meet the requirements as they are normally built. (Unable to provide 150kW to every stall at the same time.)
Texas "bidding" was first come first serve.

I suspect there was some insider information used to scoop up these contracts before the bidding process really opened to the big players. It's likely the chargers installed as a result will be online for a short them then never get maintained adding to the reputation of charging station unreliability.

V3 stalls have 250kW independent to each pedestal. The electrician I talked to while they were installing locally said the electrical service he was installing could handle all 8 pedestals at max capacity simultaneously.

V2 is 150kW shared between an A and B pedestal.

I've been trying to find a definitive source on how and why the Mach E got classified as a station wagon. I've come up empty, but there has to be a government document somewhere that defines vehicle classifications.

Someone here said the Mach E isn't classified as an SUV because it isn't rated for towing. But he didn't provide a source. I think it could also be that the Mach E can't be classified as an SUV because of its low ground clearance. But I'm just guessing.
By that regard, the MY isn't an SUV either. IDK how the government classifies vehicles. I'd consider both to be "CUV" "compact utility vehicles"-typically considered car-based (rather than truck based). But I don't know that gov even recognizes a CUV. Or perhaps a "hatchback" but not sure that there is a recognized definition there either.

V3 stalls have 250kW independent to each pedestal. The electrician I talked to while they were installing locally said the electrical service he was installing could handle all 8 pedestals at max capacity simultaneously.

V2 is 150kW shared between an A and B pedestal.
They are done in groups of 4 not 8. The initial V3 systems did not have 250kW per stall, and in fact had just 380kW between four stalls though I think there are now better V3 systems.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Personally, I'd wait until it's passed. Something, that I can't put into data, is the price action for TSLA over the years has resembled the "investment after success" mentality. That is, the investment in TSLA occurs only if Tesla succeeds in what it says it goes out to do. It's one of the few companies with a CEO that announces what they're going to do before they do it with grand ambitions...

...then, goes out and does it. Most companies just report once they have something finite. For example with this Inflation Reduction Act, personally I don't expect the share price to (significantly) increase until after its signed by President Biden. The same has gone on, at least to me, with Giga Nevada start, Giga Shanghai, Model 3 ramp, Model S ramp (back in the day), and also FSD/Bots.

The speculation on TSLA has always been high because its grand ambitions that are pronounced early IMO...and, then, executed on with aplomb.
Good comment IMO, unfairly perhaps but I can’t help but find a bit of connection with StarShip also. Once StarShip reaches orbit I would not be surprised if Tesla is not an ancillary beneficairy.