Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought this up yesterday as I was reading through the bill. It turns out that the cap on used cars is 25K. So it wouldn't affect most used Teslas in the near future.

But it's nice to know that it will prop up the resale value in the long term. There are no restrictions about mineral sourcing for used EVs. So the Tesla you own today will eventually qualify for the credit if you hold on long enough.
Great for Nissan- LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: cab
It absolutely is not. Maybe 1 or 2% of IT workers make that level of salary. You're in a tiny bubble that does not represent most people in this field.
I don’t know about that. The survey cited over 160K people (employed in IT) and if the average is $270K, I don’t think only top 2 percent would average to that amount.
I agree however that seems high, but I would believe in the survey. The Seattle area has high competition for IT among Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, to name a few!

• Helpful
Reactions: Skryll
AHEM!

(we did see one Model S and one Model X when in Fairbanks last week, though. THAT is one megalopolis where the Tesla Wave remains in full - frantic - force. But on the Denali or Richardson Highways? Seeing another would be enough to cause a multi-car pileup even were only two cars present.)

I saw a pink wrapped Model X with Alaska plates near Chicago a couple days ago. That one caused a double take.

Great for Nissan- LOL.
Great for people who own a Nissan Leaf and have never sold it. Likewise first owners of the Chevy Bolt. If you timed it right, you got the first rebate when you bought your Bolt, took the $6,000 "don't sue me" payout from GM, and will be able to sell it used and indirectly benefit from the $4k rebate. A couple more years and some Bolt owners will be have been paid to own their car.

It's HAPPENING ;)

The starting prices for the 2023 F-150 Lightning will now range from about $47,000 to $97,000, up from roughly $40,000 to $92,000 for the 2022 model year.

It's not the customer that is getting the incentives ;)
I figured this was in response to Musk finally acknowledging the Cybertruck price increase. Maybe just fortuitous timing.

Keep in mind, many F-150 Lightning buyers benefitted from the previous incentive. It's possible Ford will squeak through cleanly with no interruption in collecting incentives. (Though the price cap and income limits will likely hit their top end models)

Last edited:
Pretty much for the west coast, most individuals and couples won’t fit within the income requirements. Then add in big metropolitan hubs on east coast like nyc and DC where individual/couple incomes are also well above the EV bill limits
You are living in a bubble. Even in the DC area, 95% of couples earn less then $300k. IT people making $270k a year? I am in the DC area and not a single IT person I know makes over $180k. Salaries of $120k are common. The income limits are quite high, and congrats to you if you exceed them.

So all of this talk of doom and gloom for q4 (I even thought it could be problematic) has to be balanced by the fact that Tesla does not live or die on quarters, and can easily just keep those cars an average of 50-60 days and sell them EASILY in Q1 at an even higher price. Over the two quarters it will make zero difference or be a net positive. Tesla could even announce a $2000 or so price increase starting January 1 and get away with it.

It's HAPPENING ;)

The starting prices for the 2023 F-150 Lightning will now range from about $47,000 to $97,000, up from roughly $40,000 to $92,000 for the 2022 model year.

It's not the customer that is getting the incentives ;)
It is clear they under priced the thing anyhow. But it really looks bad raising the price now. But it was either Ford gets the incentive, or the dealer steals it. Ford prefers to get it!

Your typical Model Y family doesn't have an AGI over $300,000. And possibly saving $7500 is a big incentive to wait.

I personally put off taking delivery of my second Tesla in December just to see if congress would act so I could get the credit. I knew it would mean going to the back of the line and waiting for several more months.

Now with more certainty about getting the tax credit, I think a lot more customers will decide to wait.
Most Tesla buyers are not eligible anyway, just as most Teslas will not qualify. What may be affected are base Model 3 and Model Y if Tesla makes effort to sell eligible vehicles. That assumes they have an express desire to shave margins. Is that likely?

Great for people who own a Nissan Leaf and have never sold it. Likewise first owners of the Chevy Bolt. If you timed it right, you got the first rebate when you bought your Bolt, took the $6,000 "don't sue me" payout from GM, and will be able to sell it used and indirectly benefit from the $4k rebate. A couple more years and some Bolt owners will be have been paid to own their car.
Which means an older Leaf is now worth $8K vs $4K:)

The problem with EV and Solar tax credits is they often don't end up delivering their main goal - spurring the industry to be self sustainable. The intention is, the OEMs and suppliers will use this as a lever to bring down costs over the period of the tax credits being available, and so if and when the credits expire they would have a mature market and mature supply chain to deliver their products at the same cost to the consumer even after the credits expiry.

But instead what we see happening - except other than Tesla - all OEMs line their pockets with the tax credits, and the manufacturing process or supply chain never matures, and they continue to simply depend on Asian companies for key components. So the only way the industry can sell their products is through Govt hand outs and fines.

The only exception to this has been Tesla.
Exactly as predicted. The EV tax credits are used to increase their profits - which is not a bad thing perse - but then the only profits these guys ever make are from those credits for the foreseeable future. They never work towards getting out of sucking taxpayer tits.