Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Texas this one is a no brainer. I have one in Philly and it's amazing in the summer. Pulls heat from the ambient air in the house and pumps out cool dry air.
You can even duct it short distances. I hope to duct mine straight up one floor as the living room is directly above my utility room.

I have solar on the roof, and now this pump directly offsets a LOT of my air conditioning peak in the summer. Basically shaves off 20% of my electricity summer peak while also heating my hot water with far less electricity than a normal hot water heater. Double savings.

Wow! Hadn't even thought of that. The "waste heat" from this thing would be COOL AIR: a substance worth its weight in gold 5 months out of the year here in Austin.

I honestly hope ADAS was not involved in this as it looks like people were harmed. Dan has some serious negative karma built up however.

It was horrible when the Uber crash happened years ago.
I read a blurb over last week from one of the usual scam news orgs (BI or Reuters?) that in two independent accidents a Tesla hit a Motorcycle and killed the drivers. One in CA and one in Utah. The Utah Tesla driver admitted that he had Autopilot engaged and the one in CA they were still investigating.

But then absolutely no reports after that. Which I thought was strange.

While people on this thread are extremely optimistic about the potential of FSD/ Robotaxi. That doesn’t mean they are hopelessly giddy about the current state of FSD and have blinders on regarding it’s limits. There is a huge difference between suggesting that Tesla has the best chances of getting something near Level 5 autonomous driving solved and saying FSD is perfect today. I see a lot of the former and not a ton of the latter.

I don’t know either. But we do know Musk has repeatedly said 10.69 is special. We also know Musk has said they will turn FSD Beta on for wide release by year end. Mostly just looking at the laughing emoji which suggests to me Musk‘s comment was more than just face value.

What makes you think Tesla would need to notify the NHTSA that they are expanding the scope of the beta? I don’t think they have previously at any step of the way.
Completely agree.

Elon is pumping FSD and AI Day a lot this past month or so. Clearly he has seen a remarkable uptick in FSDs improvements. I'll be scouring YT on Saturday looking for the first videos (provided it actually comes out on the 20th). This plus the share split will make next week a very interesting one!

$TSLA totally under MM's control, changing directions at those 15 minute marks on the minute.

I wonder what is their closing strategy that they probably decided in the pre-market.

1660678396881.png

Last edited:
NHTSA guidelines and the priority is for larger objects first.

Tesla is pushing the boundaries of what can be done in a vehicle. Even lidar at slow speeds is challenged by small non-moving objects.

For instance an empty plastic bag caught by the wind is hard to detect.
.. and even if you detect that small object, you really don't want to slam the brakes unless you can identify it with 100% certainty. That is why objects below a certain size even if detected are ignored,

.. and even if you detect that small object, you really don't want to slam the brakes unless you can identify it with 100% certainty. That is why objects below a certain size even if detected are ignored,
FSD switched lanes for a squirrel for me before, quite casually I must say while I was still contemplating my options. Switched back into the right lane after we passed it.

Does Tesla tell buyers that FSD is currently trained only to detect objects 34" or taller immediately in front of the vehicle and that smaller objects will be ignored?
Tesla discloses that this is FSD-beta and not an autonomous system yet and the driver is in full control and fully responsible, until such time Tesla believes FSD is achieved. If any user does not agree to that they don't have to turn on FSD.

That is all the users need to know at this time when the product is still under development and testing in real world.

I did a bit more detailed looking at reports on this bill. Slightly but not totally OT.

There are significant cash rebates for some things I am interested in and I think others here might well be, as many investors here mentioned they have solar, battery, and therefore lots of electric power:
- All electric home heat pump: $8000 rebate
- Electric heat pump water heater: $1750 rebate
- Electric induction cooktop: $840 rebate
- up to $9,100 for improvements to electric panels, wiring and home insulation

These are described (WaPo, paywalled so I doubt a link would work but plenty of other folks spilling ink on this) as rebates, not tax credits, which I think is a positive. I may very well be diving in on one or more of those in my own puny attempt to...
Keep pushing the Transition.

Still with the same income restrictions?

Reactions: Skryll and MikeC
paging @Papafox
In your post today on papafox’s daily TSLA trading charts , you posted

“Aug 17 will be the day of record for the split, and we may see more selling to shed synthetic shares (from naked shorting) between now and then.”

Can you explain the selling part to shed synthetic shares ?
Tachyon, I had a brain fart and should have said "buying" rather than "selling".

Through naked shorting, some market makers created short positions that are not associated with any legitimate shares, and they need to buy shares in order to position themselves to deliver additional shares to the buyers of that original shorting activity when the split occurs.

I have looked at this stuff a few times and the only income restrictions I have seen have to do with BEVs.

That would be awesome. Be nice to recoup a fraction of my > 50% income taxes paid out to the bureaucrats.

Might need some Heat Pumps to replace the HVACs in a few years as well (waiting to see if Tesla enters this space, I would prefer to give them my business).

Toyota Motor Corp. suspended operations at its Sichuan plant in China because of a power shortage, the Kyodo News reported on Tuesday.
The local authority has ordered the automaker to suspend operations, the report said.

Volkswagen AG also has a plant in Sichuan. The automaker’s China spokesperson said its factory in Chengdu is affected by power shortages.

CATL’s factory in Yibin, Sichuan Province, stopped production due to power brownouts, and the duration of power brownouts rationing lasted from August 15 to August 20.

Foxconn is suspending operations at a factory in the city of Chengdu from August 15 to 20 under government order.

Source: Google for Sichuan automaker, foxconn

Nothing on Tesla

[Edit: Note - According to Grace Tao, Tesla's vice president of external affairs, more than 95% of the parts used at the Giga Shanghai plant come from local suppliers. Hopefully the heatwave is over by 8/20 and no Tesla supplier in that important industrial province are severely affected ]

Last edited:
Again this is a total about-face when you contrast it with claims six years ago that the system was so advanced that a driver needed to be in the seat only for legal reasons, and with Elon continuing to claim that FSD will be realized any week now despite these real limitations existing and without mentioning that it will remain a Level 2 ADAS for the foreseeable future.

If omitting data is the problem, there's plenty of blame to go around.

This thread in particular is relentlessly forgiving when it comes to Autopilot/FSD, which is no surprise considering the implications for investors. People are much more realistic about the technology everywhere else in this forum.
Outside of this forum how many people remember what Elon said about FSD 6 years ago? The instructions for FSD are clear, it is beta software that requires full attention. That's it. I think most of us are quite realistic about the technology and are also quite aware how wrong Elon has been about it. Eventually he'll be right even though I doubt it will be any time soon.