Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to agree with everything you say, and your case is much like mine. But please don't say "I'm 100% behind being environmentally friendly" when you choose not to get rid of your gas appliances. Sounds like you're about 40% environmentally friendly, where the majority of your decision is financial, even though by your own admission you're "high-income earners".

I shouldn't pick on you because you've done a lot. But trying to overcome global warming takes sacrifices. Us making 50% sacrifices is pretty good, like my aunt saying "but I'm taking fewer flights now" when I chastise her for flying across the country to see relatives every year. Will it be enough? Was our cost/benefit analysis sufficient? Will our grandchildren be proud of our choices? Let's see in 10 or 20 more years.
It makes more sense to replace gas appliances with electric (when they need replacing). Doing so any earlier probably isn’t that environmentally friendly.

I just don’t feel like paying the taxes on selling AAPL. I might sell really agressive CCs on half of my AAPL position and let the market God decide if I keep them or they get called away.

If they get called away, I transit all that new money in TSLA
I am in a similar position, but live on AAPL dividends so I'd not want to pay the taxes anyway. Perhaps one could optimize further but for decades I have bought and held. It takes a serious event to make me sell. Otherwise, even with non-US positions I still buy and hold.

Even so, making CC's to force a decision seems like a good way to cap gains, so long as capital gains don't sound too onerous.

I think these are First World Problems!

It makes more sense to replace gas appliances with electric (when they need replacing). Doing so any earlier probably isn’t that environmentally friendly.
Induction is nearly as flexible as is gas, once the cook learns how to use it. We made the switch some years ago. The learning curve is NOT simple, for serious cooks anyway. In Europe especially many commercial cooks have learned to adapt. It's not easy to avoid swinging the pans around!

It seems to me that transition is not unlike switching form ICE to BEV. It's uncomfortable at first but soon becomes second nature and then preferable.

The first two ships from China have just arrived in Europe, so the Q3 delivery floodgates are about to open wide. The eu-evs tracker (linked below) for countries that update daily was at 156 yesterday for the month, which was presumably all German cars prior to the first China shipment. It just jumped to 201. And Norway for August was sitting at 44 yesterday, and today reported 28 new German Model Y Performance deliveries:

Norway Y.png

Well on our way to the biggest quarter ever.

RT

I want to agree with everything you say, and your case is much like mine. But please don't say "I'm 100% behind being environmentally friendly" when you choose not to get rid of your gas appliances. Sounds like you're about 40% environmentally friendly, where the majority of your decision is financial, even though by your own admission you're "high-income earners".

I shouldn't pick on you because you've done a lot. But trying to overcome global warming takes sacrifices. Us making 50% sacrifices is pretty good, like my aunt saying "but I'm taking fewer flights now" when I chastise her for flying across the country to see relatives every year. Will it be enough? Was our cost/benefit analysis sufficient? Will our grandchildren be proud of our choices? Let's see in 10 or 20 more years.

I would bet you one TSLA share that I have a smaller carbon footprint than you. That's how confident I am in my "environmental friendliness".

Did you not ready how LITTLE natural gas we use in our house? I don't live in the frozen tundra like you, we hardly ever turn on the gas heater. I'm not ripping out the NG stove to cut the $10/mo NG usage that is has. The ovens are electric, so no need to do a swap there.

I'm a NET EXPORTER of Solar, to the tune of 2000-3000 kwh/yr. Plus, I don't utilize net metering, I run from our power-walls overnight, and charge them from an oversized solar array during the day. ALL of that penciled out financially, with a 10y or less payback. It was good for the environment, it made financial sense.

We drive only EVs (and ONLY Teslas at that), and have for the past 7 years now. I've done my part for my family, my kids and future generations. If someone wants me to go that last 2-3%, it MUST pencil out financially, period.

The earlier we stop paying the Koch brothers and others that use our $$$ to influence politics to harm the environment for profit, the better.

The key idea is to permanently redirect your continuous cash flows away from fossil fuel and towards renewable energy.
In the big picture that will have the biggest cumulative impact on the environment because it takes away the power from bad actors to do bad things:

o_O:rolleyes:😆🤣🤣🤣😘

What do you think is significant about the record date of the split? I wouldn't expect such an insignificant date to have any expectations in terms of movement of the share price. Even the actual day of the split itself could go either direction - it largely depends upon how much of the recent buying was market makers "cleaning up" their books and whether they are ahead of the game or behind it when it comes time to distribute the split shares. The rest of it depends upon the same supply and demand that normally controls the share price movements.

And, guess what? We have no real way to know until the shares make a move or they don't. So, I suggest you may benefit if you tame the manic-depressive mood that changes positions faster than a day trader on crystal meth. Unless you are a day-trader or swing-trader, an investment in Tesla is based on the value they create as they grow production, production capacity and gain efficiencies in their supply chain, their manufacturing and sales and distribution over time. Essentially, grow earnings. And they are showing us how they can do that at an astounding pace. This increase in value is what is behind the fact that many TSLA investors have 100X'ed their investments in only a decade and change and I think it's likely those gains are going to continue to compound over the next decade.

On the other hand, your perpetual handwringing is focused on the normal volatility or noise which is basically nothing more than white noise.
@StealthP3D
a small but significant (to a few folks, perhaps some oldsters) quibble
the low price for TSLA on 7/5/2010 (OK, 12 years, not 10years ago, picky, picky, picky) was
$3.00/share (somebody bought some and vol was very high in this initial time period)
from there to $1,200/share (split adjusted was ==>400x<== not a mere 100x
✋ 💎 🤚 :) :cool:

The earlier we stop paying the Koch brothers and others that use our $$$ to influence politics to harm the environment for profit, the better.

The key idea is to permanently redirect your continuous cash flows away from fossil fuel and towards renewable energy.
In the big picture that will have the biggest cumulative impact on the environment because it takes away the power from bad actors to do bad things:

I'll get right on that... 👌

...shortly after the SP doubles from here. 🤑

Maybe sometime next year? :cool:

[...]

Did you not [read] how LITTLE natural gas we use in our house? I don't live in the frozen tundra like you, we hardly ever turn on the gas heater. I'm not ripping out the NG stove to cut the $10/mo NG usage that is has. The ovens are electric, so no need to do a swap there.

No tundra over here, SF East Bay Area in California. Yesterday 105F peak this year 113F, and in the winter usually drops to 30F. Homes here are notoriously badly insulated because of the earthquake friendly light architecture and less extreme weather when they were built in the 80's.

Sounds like you life in a sweet spot, and I am with you in that I did not replace our gas water heater since it only uses $10/month - surprising to me that your heating doesn't push you past that significantly even when used lightly but maybe your gas prices are also lower.

Our $1600/year cash flow for the gas furnace is what I aimed to redirect with the heatpump.

Great to hear you don't even need net metering, wouldn't pencil out the same way for us without it.

Induction is nearly as flexible as is gas, once the cook learns how to use it. We made the switch some years ago. The learning curve is NOT simple, for serious cooks anyway. In Europe especially many commercial cooks have learned to adapt. It's not easy to avoid swinging the pans around!

It seems to me that transition is not unlike switching form ICE to BEV. It's uncomfortable at first but soon becomes second nature and then preferable.
I am European and we have used electric stoves my whole life. My gf has used gas her whole life. She visited Europe and cooked a few times, she is 100% sold on induction now. Tooks her like 5min to master the skill.

You can boil water sooo much faster, room doesn't get as hot, no toxic gases etc. Only problem is doing wok the way she is used to, but in the end I believe the result is even better with flat pans.

We are looking at buying a house in a country with more gas than induction. When we look at newer houses it seems most of them use induction while older mostly use gas.

I think with solar, battery etc it becomes even more clear to use electric. I have even started using electric bbq. The newer better models actually get you a decent temp. You have to adapt a little, not turn too many times as it cools down too fast when you open the lid, but the end result is usually very good and has a high repeatability.

I would bet you one TSLA share that I have a smaller carbon footprint than you. That's how confident I am in my "environmental friendliness".

Did you not ready how LITTLE natural gas we use in our house? I don't live in the frozen tundra like you, we hardly ever turn on the gas heater. I'm not ripping out the NG stove to cut the $10/mo NG usage that is has. The ovens are electric, so no need to do a swap there.

I'm a NET EXPORTER of Solar, to the tune of 2000-3000 kwh/yr. Plus, I don't utilize net metering, I run from our power-walls overnight, and charge them from an oversized solar array during the day. ALL of that penciled out financially, with a 10y or less payback. It was good for the environment, it made financial sense.

We drive only EVs (and ONLY Teslas at that), and have for the past 7 years now. I've done my part for my family, my kids and future generations. If someone wants me to go that last 2-3%, it MUST pencil out financially, period.
You're right. We've only been in this house just over a year, so we're way behind you in upgrades. I shouldn't throw stones. Sorry about calling you out!

As someone who designs commercial HVAC systems for a living, I don't completely agree with the sudden push to go all electric. We'll get there in time, but I can tell you that with the amount of gas used for heating large buildings and manufacturing processes, we won't be weaned off of gas for decades. Sure, it can be done, but to replace the heating capacity that can be delivered with a small gas line, may result in doubling or tripling a building's electric service, to meet the heating load, at a significant cost increase.

That said, I don't see any reason to replace perfectly good gas appliances, like a cooking range, to replace it with electric.

Here in NYC have been paid owner of FSD since 2018. I only get to watch it on videos...
Not in NYC but nearly all my driving is in South Florida. A fact of life when encountering non-trained and/or compromised retirees and others ignorant of driving regulations is constant strange encounters. MY Tesla claims Forward Collision Warnings and Unsafe Following routinely. On drives at really odd hours or those few empty streets I sometimes get 99 or so, but normally around ~90. I tend to doubt that any large city would be much different

Despite that I think Tesla is wise to limit the FSD to people who drive mostly in unchallenging areas. That does advance training without forcing a test in severe circumstances. I wonder if anybody who lives in San Francisco proper can get FSD. I used to live there and really cannot quite imagine it, despite the known experiments.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and traxila
It's a big problem in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska. There are often waits to charge. I got lucky on the last trip (end of July) in that I was able to get the only open spot at Ardmore with no wait. After I plugged in, six more Teslas arrived and had to wait. Tesla either needs more sites, V3/4 Superchargers, or double the number of V2 chargers. So the problem is certainly not only in California.
Granted this is my region and I dont supercharge much. But I just drove from KS to the North Carolina coast on a saturday and Sunday and did not have to wait once at a SC either way. Family of 4 loaded model Y to the gills and it cost right around $110 each way (~1300 miles) via Super chargers. We also stayed at hotels that had a Wall charger, so that cut down on cost.

Our gas tankless water heater was purchased in 1999 so it was replaced with electric and at the same time we went to a heat-pump HVAC and cut of the gas. I didn't go heat-pump water heater because (as far as I could tell) all tank type. Tank type water heaters are just garbage. You pay to heat the water, you pay to keep the water hot, and then because you have to have the temperature up as high as possible to try to avoid running out, the cold water has to be run to cool it to the correct temperature. Tank type water heaters are a lose-lose situation.

As someone who designs commercial HVAC systems for a living, I don't completely agree with the sudden push to go all electric. We'll get there in time, but I can tell you that with the amount of gas used for heating large buildings and manufacturing processes, we won't be weaned off of gas for decades. Sure, it can be done, but to replace the heating capacity that can be delivered with a small gas line, may result in doubling or tripling a building's electric service, to meet the heating load, at a significant cost increase.
Every household that cuts off gas reduces the demand by a small fraction making it more expensive for industry to use gas. It's a tragedy of the commons situation.