Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what happens when you build a charging network because you have to, not because you want to.
This is gonna sound crazy but they should just ban public chargers and the whole apparatus as it is since the companies taking the subsidies for public chargers do jack about maintaining them. There's no sense wasting money and time to put a thing in and it doesn't work, just sits there pissing everyone off. It leads to a crap experience for those very important adopters and it wastes massive resources and real estate. Instead they should just take all those subsidies and contract Tesla to build it out and maintain it. Eventually the state and local could take it over or hell just let Tesla keep doing what they do best.

This is gonna sound crazy but they should just ban public chargers and the whole apparatus as it is since the companies taking the subsidies for public chargers do jack about maintaining them. There's no sense wasting money and time to put a thing in and it doesn't work, just sits there pissing everyone off. It leads to a crap experience for those very important adopters and it wastes massive resources and real estate. Instead they should just take all those subsidies and contract Tesla to build it out and maintain it. Eventually the state and local could take it over or hell just let Tesla keep doing what they do best.

It was a brilliant move by Tesla to make the chargers super dumb and put all the smarts in the car. I don't understand why EA is having such a hard time keeping their systems working. Terrible software seems like a culprit.

It was a brilliant move by Tesla to make the chargers super dumb and put all the smarts in the car. I don't understand why EA is having such a hard time keeping their systems working. Terrible software seems like a culprit.
It kind of ticks me off. I'm speaking in regards to the global ev movement and these bum chargers really sour the experience. I can't imagine it being a positive promoter for the adoption of ev's, you know what I mean?

I’m sure the non-Tesla world will be a s💩t show.

Ford, GM, etc should be lobbying and working hard to ensure these networks are reliable. This whole story is playing out more and more into Tesla’s hands. It only takes 1-2 stops at unreliable chargers to spoil a trip. Imagine getting towed for a dead battery, your car gets dropped off the back of the tow truck, you plug in and that charger is dead too. Or the situation where your 12v system is too dead to start the fast charger.

Once non-Tesla support on the Supercharger networks roll out, people are going to gravitate towards it whether they want to or not. They will hit one too many bad EA or chargers and switch. You’ll roll up to a Supercharger and there will be a Mach E. The driver will bitch about how they hate Tesla and Elon but they have the only reliable chargers. A year later you’ll see them driving around in a Model Y…

Last edited:
It's not just the software, they "degrade" to only supplying 32kW when the liquid cooling system for the cable fails, which seems to happen a lot. But yeah software and connectivity seem to be problems as well.

They only serve non penal colony descendants so makes sense.
My great x5 grandpa got done for stealing 2 chickens and put on the boat, which was a good result all round IMO - free dinner and a free cruise to a tropical island. I have followed in the family tradition by stealing money from TSLAQ aficionados.

Also in the spirit of staying humble, it appears that you lot are the OG penal colony.
1661061265034.png

There's a gap to fill. MMs will cover on Monday morning. Also, watch the size of the Closing Cross today to get an idea about how much of this was manipulation.

POST-DICTION:

1,022,183 shares of TSLA traded in the 4:00 pm minute on Friday. That's extreme volume, with only 20.5M shares total traded on Fri, including Pre-Market and After-hrs sessions:

TSLA.2022-08-19.16-00.png

This notably high Closing Cross volume indicates covering of short sales made during the day, and that much of the push down early on Friday was manipulation.

Paging @Papafox

Here a link to the Release Notes for FSD 10.69 on twitter

This is the feature I've been waiting for.

In short, the path planner is now using more than real-time camera data and it's vector data.

So the blue line should be much longer and less wiggly resulting in a much more natural, humanlike steering wheel movement. At least it should as it gets better overtime.

This is a first! In the past, only real-time camera data has been used to create a path for the controls team (that was analog). Vector data should be much smoother and more natural.

This is how it is described in the release notes...

-Added a new "deep lane guidance" module to the Vector Lanes neural network which fuses features extracted from the video streams with coarse map data, i.e. lane counts and lane connectivities. This architecture achieves a 44% lower error rate on lane topology compared to the previous model, enabling smoother control before lanes and their connectivities becomes visually apparent. This provides a way to make every Autopilot drive as good as someone driving their own commute, yet in a sufficiently general way that adapts for road changes.

It kind of ticks me off. I'm speaking in regards to the global ev movement and these bum chargers really sour the experience. I can't imagine it being a positive promoter for the adoption of ev's, you know what I mean?
Which is what happens when a predominantly ICE manufacturer is tasked with building an EV charging network as punishment for breaking rules designed to reduce harm to the environment. Doh! :oops:

Last edited:
Looking sweet. Will be exciting to watch a recording of the same route in daytime with lots of traffic. I’m always a little skeptical about those late at night recordings with almost no other cars.

That said - it looks good. Very good indeed.
Yep, needs more traffic to be sure. Steering wheel jerk is still there, but looks greatly reduced. Seems like camera data is still being used at a higher weighting, however the movements seem smaller and less intense (especially in the roundabouts) and I'd bet this is due to the non-realtime vector map data. This should improve quite a bit as Tesla gets more confident in this new module (aka they see less takeovers during the first round of beta).

Very exciting to see the blue line be so much longer and so much less wiggly (aka 'more confident' and whenever it wiggles it can cause the steering wheel to move quickly and unexpectedly as compared to a smooth path). This build might not be stable enough for my wife just yet, but it is much closer!

I'm waiting impatiently for Chuck to post now ;)

Not hard to explain when you realize that those who implemented them would love it if BEVs were to just disappear. I'm not saying they planned for them to be unreliable, but they installed what they were forced to install.

I've been thinking about Ashok's presentation a bit more. It really seems that they have ~solved crashes, at least causing crashes. Both in FSD and in humanpilot. It took a combination of a very good perception stack, an occupancy grid with flow, a neural network to evaluate possible poses, a search function and the rest of the software 1.0 stack, electric motors etc. The end result might be a reduction in the number of self caused accidents by a magnitude.

So let's assume this is true. What happens if there is an ADAS feature that reduces the number of accidents by 90%? Will not all other car makers be required to also have this feature? But they cannot do it... Will they be forced to buy it from Tesla? Let's say Tesla can sell HW3, cameras etc for $10k. If not, will Tesla's not become super popular? How much extra would you pay for a car that has 90% lower chance to kill you?

This is not even taking into account FSD and the massive leap that 10.69 seems to be.