Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s actually super articulate. I don’t for a second believe anything will be done even if we inundate the SEC with complaints, but I appreciate the effort.

More importantly, I love imagining the person responsible for managing complaints having their mailbox full for days on end, and then the SEC server crashing.
Is it okay for me to just copy it verbatim and send it, or am I supposed to make a few speeling and grammer mistekes to make it look authentic?

This is some serious clown level *sugar* from Hyundai. It's not bad enough that you can GTA their cars with a USB plug, but they also secured their firmware with the first example AES key? This is 10 levels of clown here, omg.
No one wants to steal a hyundai so they can open source their security-- take it if you want.

Has Germany made a decision about keeping the remaining three nuclear power plants open?
Won't help.
The thing discussed if they should power down now to conserve fuel into next year and over the winter... Thing is: 2 of them need worldwide unique fuel that has to be produced first which takes at least 18 months.

And they need to be completely recertified as they are currently running without proper certification that was due 18/19 because the have a fixed turnoff date at 31.12. and for that recertification they would have to be shut down for 6-12 weeks.

So.. it is not just "turn em back on" 😅

Hey boaters... hey Tesla!

I just got an eMail from Candela (Swedish electric boat co) who claims to have partnered with Polestar for charging their electric boats at the lake. The Candela is out of my price range for a boat (~1/4M last I checked) but it's quite efficient bc of the hydrofoils that lift the boat out of the water. This makes them usable as a taxi service since range greatly increase due to lower water drag. But a low-cost runabout I have yet to find. Likely not until Cybertruck comes out, or maybe a trailer carrying batteries for the boat recharging. Can't wait to explore the water in quiet. Maybe have Ludicrous mode to pull me up out of the water.

"Give-er" as they say in Canada,
"Hit it" in the USA,
Let's Go - in Tesla land.

Hello John,

This is Max, running communications at Candela, with an update on the latest news. First, we are happy to reveal that Swedish electric car maker Polestar will start providing batteries and charging systems for our boats. An agreement has been signed that will give us access to state-of-the-art automotive battery technology and allow us to scale our production. More information on the cooperation will be revealed at a later stage, stay tuned and we will keep you posted on the details.

This fall we are moving to our new production facility, north of Stockholm. Right now, we are 140 people working at Candela and hiring people for over a hundred positions globally during the rest of the year. Larger facilities and more staff will help us ramp up production of the C-8.

During spring and summer, we have done extensive testing of the new systems in the boat. But we also let a few, select journalists do independent tests of the C-8. We are happy to share the review done by British magazine Motor Boat & Yachting. Here’s a quote from the test done by editor-in-chief Hugo Andreae:
It’s not just an alternative to a petrol boat, it’s a genuinely different boat that offers a different experience, and in many ways a better one. In terms of emissions, in terms of quietness, in terms of a soft ride, it is a genuinely different and very enjoyable experience.”

We are happy to share the full video review that gives you an insight into what it’s like to fly a Candela C-8, and some behind-the-scenes from the factory. Just follow the link for a 24-minute video review of the C-8.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a boat mod when the Cybertruck comes out, to use its wheelpower to drive the prop! Cheaper than buying (and charging) an electric boat, no? :)

1661273163807.png

(excuse the quick'n'dirty concept image!)
(care of car-boat prototype)

1661273342109.png

(11 Thrilling Cars To Drive on Land and Sail on Water)

Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a boat mod when the Cybertruck comes out, to use its wheelpower to drive the prop! Cheaper than buying (and charging) an electric boat, no? :)

View attachment 844170

View attachment 844172
But you could probably just... granted this is a joke gif, but I'm pretty sure Elon alluded to this.

View attachment 844170

View attachment 844172
Not to beat this too much more... I think it would dog in the water with that weight, but a classy version as pontoon luxury market perhaps, 10mph tops. Weight is key here. Battery swaps, or fast lake charging (and maybe lift it out of the water as shown). Use an electric hovercraft as backup power, follows you up lake, lol. Lake? What lake?

What did Garrett Nelson use as the basis of his analysis?

If he wasn't considering mineral sourcing then this doesn't mean much. If he did a true, full analysis I'd really be interested in seeing that.
It sounded pretty superficial. I just posted it because I hadn’t seen much discussion of the H2 subsidies.

In my 35 years in the software industry, Tesla is the first hardware company I've ever seen that is any good at software. Having a software guy as CEO helps a lot.
You've apparently never "seen" Apple. Very much a hardware company. Done many amazing things with software, many for the first time. Two simple examples: made security an integral part of the user experience in an understandable and usable way; facilitated the transition from PowerPC to Intel CPUs with software that made it mostly invisible to end users, and later did the same for Intel to Apple Silicon. We could talk about the whole software update thing that Tesla learned from as well, but why bother.

Hell I'd be nervous crossing that intersection without FSD!
I suspect a lot of these locations are high accident locations. These are sketchy and I don’t think a great indication of what FSD is good for. How many of these tricky locations would be safer if the driver/ vehicle makes a few right turns? I know it’s not 100%, but I’m ok with FSD being very slow in these locations so long as it’s safe.

My wife was at a Supercharger yesterday (in Manitoba), and a guy in a truck pulled up beside her. He walked over and said, "You're probably tired of people asking you questions about Tesla, " (she isn't) and they had a conversation a bit different than our normal discussions. He wasn't really interested in buying one, but it sounded like he wanted to know how she liked Tesla because he was involved in lithium mining in Quebec and was pleased that his work was doing something meaningful. He had recently sold a mine in Quebec to Chinese interests, and apparently 100% of a mine he was familiar with in Manitoba gets shipped to China as well. I didn't even know we had lithium mining in Manitoba...
This exemplifies how crazy the supply chain is, if we're mining lithium in Canada and then shipping it to China for processing. But much of that probably comes down to stuff like water usage and onerous environmental regulations.

As Elon has mentioned, and why he was prodding entrepreneurs to set up domestic processing capacity and it being a "license to print money", the real challenge in lithium is refining it to a state where it's usable for batteries.

I don't think a single vehicle right now will qualify for the $7500 and imagine getting the $3750 earmarked for raw materials will be a massive challenge for manufacturers. And then we have this...

By December 31, 2023, a vehicle containing any battery components manufactured by a "foreign entity of concern" will not qualify period.

By December 31, 2024, a vehicle containing any critical minerals that were extracted, processed, or recycled by a "foreign entity of concern" will not qualify period.

Source and quote:

This will disqualify vehicles with literally any battery components coming from China by the end of 2023 and any critical minerals from China by the end of 2024.

It would also apply to things coming out of Russia, North Korea, and other nations "covered" by them, but the EV battery supply chain relies massively on China right now and particularly when it comes to keeping the vehicles affordable.

This is extremely unfriendly to the current supply chain structure.
Pure speculation on my part... was their motivation to "look good" on the environment, slip in a tax hike, with a bonus to slow BEV sales 2H '22 and mess with Tesla demand signals? If so, it ain't gonna work but maybe it sounded good in congress to get signatures needed. Not-an-EV-Bill, so Joe got on board. I can only imagine what goes on with these deals.

Meanwhile, my Senator claims he has money from the IRA that will pay people to voluntarily forfeit their water in Az. Revenue Stream or Revenue from a Stream? Hope it's a one-time thing - Buy the farm or plant corn that survives in the desert without irrigation, only rainfall. (This is actually a Local Tribal skill. Low yield, but it works).

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Has Germany made a decision about keeping the remaining three nuclear power plants open?

One day I hear they close, the other day I hear they don’t close.
The international press is quiet about the 2 Belgian nuclear plants that close this winter. 1GW gone in october, another 1GW gone in februari. The idea was to replace that by natural gas (ouch!) and/or import (from France, ouch!) until we have more renewable energy.

Ok then. So it's capital loss. No one has ever been able to take a $44B tax write off since no ones ever been rich enough to have a $44B tax bill. But Elon at some point will. Not the options but regular shares sold to finance Mars.

He would probably have to do the full $44B himself since the co-financiers might not be so keen on this idea.

I assume a tax write off is usable for a number of years forward? So he really could buy Twitter, shut it down, and in the end get all the money back.

This plan gets better and better.

Maybe this is why Elon is firing all his lawyers? Because they can't come up with brilliant plans like this /S
Just to nip this discussion in the bud, a little bit, tax due on exercising options is considered to be income, while tax on investment is considered to be taxable capital gain (or loss), whether short or long term. The two are not interchangeable, except that you can claim $3000 each year of capital loss against income. So just a few hundred thousand years for it to come out in the wash for Elon.

Edit: I missed the bit about "Not the options but ...", I was referring to the tax he paid on the option exercise. Sorry for my confusion.

Last edited:
This exemplifies how crazy the supply chain is, if we're mining lithium in Canada and then shipping it to China for processing. But much of that probably comes down to stuff like water usage and onerous environmental regulations.

As Elon has mentioned, and why he was prodding entrepreneurs to set up domestic processing capacity and it being a "license to print money", the real challenge in lithium is refining it to a state where it's usable for batteries.
Lithium mines in Canada?