Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, Gary Black updated % institution holding of Tech stocks:

% shares held by instit’ns:
GOOG 85%
META 79%
MSFT 75%
AMZN 70%
AAPL 62%
TSLA 46% <<

Pointing to possible huge institution share purchases once Tesla debts become investment grade.
I really think that the next big SP jump for TSLA will be from the upgrade and institutional buying. Since that could happen anytime, we should have a nice short squeeze that week.

If Tesla wanted to stick solar panels anywhere, Europe would be the best bet, and UK or Germany the most profitable. Our Energy prices are INSANE right now. It looks like almost everyone's bills are up by at least 400-500% and likely to head towards 800% up on a few years ago.

UK wholesale prices: ( 2 years ago the price was £50/mwh)

View attachment 844513

If you have solar panels and can put them anywhere, you would be crazy to stick them in a country like the US when Germany is about to go toe-to-toe with putin over gas in winter, and electricity is going to be the battleground.

If I was Elon I would be absolutely banning Tesla from installing any domestic solar in Germany until every square meter of the Berlin factory is covered in panels.
Germany's energy use is highest in winter. Northern Germany is covered with clouds fall to spring, a long, depressing winter with little sun for solar panels.

Mod: The posts about student loan forgiveness woke the sleeping moderator. The tone of the discussion was unacceptable in this forum. I moved 40 posts to the off topic forum (not the thread here... the other forum). I'm not even going to link to it. Any followup here will be treated harshly. --ggr

For this week, 900 looks easy to hold.
But 1,000 by Friday? Maybe.

View attachment 844491
I love your optimism, but would temper your hopes a bit. As of tomorrow, I expect Shorty McShortface to be back in town with his naked troupe, and TSLA is a favourite market-moving stock to help dump the indices in their ongoing battle of the bear-market

Germany's energy use is highest in winter. Northern Germany is covered with clouds fall to spring, a long, depressing winter with little sun for solar panels.
The construction and maintenance of any long-distance high-voltage lines to, eg, northern Germany from high insolation areas - whether central Spain, Morocco or where have you - is minuscule compared to those carrying natural gas from points east. I got sidelined multiple times attempting to learn the costs of the feeder lines in Russia from the northern and eastern gas fields, but solely Nord Stream 2 cost $11 billion.
1661365229836.jpg

Yes, while we all love Elon, sooooo many promises that are massively late and delayed perhaps forever. That Tweet was over FIVE years ago and I'd posit we have, what less than a dozen with solar canopies?
Seems fair to cherry pick for criticism’s sake, especially when there’s a line up a mile long of others doing it so much better. Look at how well EA and ChargePoint and Blink are doing with their solar canopies. I mean, they didn’t even bother saying they were going to do it down the road, they just went and did it - 🙄

Seems fair to cherry pick for criticism’s sake, especially when there’s a line up a mile long of others doing it so much better. Look at how well EA and ChargePoint and Blink are doing with their solar canopies. I mean, they didn’t even bother saying they were going to do it down the road, they just went and did it - 🙄

That may have been a misprint. Perhaps they were serving "Solar Canapes" at some of their locations to bring in more EVs. Something to nibble on while enduring their charging experience?

Here I’ve cut-&-pasted two recent studies for transmission cost projections. The first is for a completed ultra-large pipeline from offshore Norway to the UK; the second is a Black & Veatch (aside: one of the dominant contractors for western US Superchargers) study for greenfield long-distance power lines.

1. European NatGas Pipeline
The world’s longest underwater natural gas pipeline is some, 725 miles long and was constructed at a cost of some US$2.8B or just about US$3.8M per mile for a pipeline that is about a meter in diameter.The Langeled Pipeline delivers 26 billion cubic meters (900 billion cubic feet) of natural gas to the UK National Transmission System each year; the price tag came in at 1.7 billion pounds (US $2.8 billion).

2. Western US High Voltage Transmission Lines
The report provided estimated costs of building 230-kV, 345-kV, and 500-kV single- and double-circuit AC lines as well as 500-kV HVDC bi-pole lines. It also looked at 230-kV, 345-kV, and 500-kV AC substation costs as well as 500-kV DC substation facilities.
The estimated baseline cost of new transmission in WECC ranged from a low of $927,000 per mile for new 230-kV single-circuit lines to a high of $2.9m per mile for a 500-kV double circuit line, according to the report.

The most obvious omission in the above is the energy comparison - BTU equivalence, for example - of those two data. I may have badly overstated the cost advantage of the electric transmission; there are, of course, many other considerations.

I love your optimism, but would temper your hopes a bit. As of tomorrow, I expect Shorty McShortface to be back in town with his naked troupe, and TSLA is a favourite market-moving stock to help dump the indices in their ongoing battle of the bear-market
But there are alot of retail investors who would favor a lower priced stock. And of course there is that pesky investor grade based on a valuation of a company's credit rating from ongoing profits.