Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems fair to cherry pick for criticism’s sake, especially when there’s a line up a mile long of others doing it so much better. Look at how well EA and ChargePoint and Blink are doing with their solar canopies. I mean, they didn’t even bother saying they were going to do it down the road, they just went and did it - 🙄
It would be even better if their chargers worked more than 50% of the time...

Today, Gary Black updated % institution holding of Tech stocks:

% shares held by instit’ns:
GOOG 85%
META 79%
MSFT 75%
AMZN 70%
AAPL 62%
TSLA 46% <<

Pointing to possible huge institution share purchases once Tesla debts become investment grade.

Astonishing if accurate.

Imagine if Elon ends up not buying Twitter and rebuys billions in TSLA just before 3Q earnings.....then investment grade.....then 3Q earnings with some FSD or tax recognition.

That's a recipe for 130 PE at a share price of $1450 before Thanksgiving. Probably a squeeze above $1600 at some point in there.

Pathetic volume. Wall St miss the news that there is a stock split today?

I keep getting this feeling over the past half year or so that everyone who wants to own TSLA already does, and it's just the day traders and MM's who keep buying and selling now daily, plus the nibblers who still buy a few from time to time.

It will be curious to see how the price being less by 2/3rds impacts daily volume. Will more retail buy now that it's more affordable? Will options activity skyrocket due to cheaper blocks of 100 shares?

Astonishing if accurate.

Imagine if Elon ends up not buying Twitter and rebuys billions in TSLA just before 3Q earnings.....then investment grade.....then 3Q earnings with some FSD or tax recognition.

That's a recipe for 130 PE at a share price of $1450 before Thanksgiving. Probably a squeeze above $1600 at some point in there.
But....

$TSLAQ: "Twitter purchase announcement was just a charade so Elon could sell more $TSLA shares at a high price and then re-purchase after the stock split so he ends up gaining even more shares at a lower price. The amount of corruption that he commits is staggering...and the SEC does nothing about this"

I keep getting this feeling over the past half year or so that everyone who wants to own TSLA already does, and it's just the day traders and MM's who keep buying and selling now daily, plus the nibblers who still buy a few from time to time.

It will be curious to see how the price being less by 2/3rds impacts daily volume. Will more retail buy now that it's more affordable? Will options activity skyrocket due to cheaper blocks of 100 shares?

I buy from time to time. I add consistently to my kid's Roth IRAs. The split will help that, as they can more consistently buy month to month. But that volume is chump change.

something just hit me .. with the anemic volume and relative lack TSLA SP commentary today

@starfoxisgone :p
There's nothing really to comment on. The additional Elon stock sells really killed any remaining momentum the stock had. It's dead weight now until we get data that affects fundamentals (Q3 earnings or credit rating upgrade).

I already said a couple weeks ago that I'm done commenting on how TSLA trades like a dog in the face of multiple positive catalyst. Nothing else to do but just sit around and wait for scale of Tesla's earnings to make the stock so cheap that it overshadows Elon's antics

With the T-mobile and SpaceX collaboration, I hope someone goes into and analyzes the effects of this on initiatives like the Twilio Supernetwork:

• Informative
Reactions: Nocturnal
There's nothing really to comment on. The additional Elon stock sells really killed any remaining momentum the stock had. It's dead weight now until we get data that affects fundamentals (Q3 earnings or credit rating upgrade).

I already said a couple weeks ago that I'm done commenting on how TSLA trades like a dog in the face of multiple positive catalyst. Nothing else to do but just sit around and wait for scale of Tesla's earnings to make the stock so cheap that it overshadows Elon's antics
Or prior quarters' data with continued outperformance in setting of world ending supply chain nightmare.

• Funny
Reactions: StarFoxisDown!
Doesn't really work that way. There's been genuine buying volume throughout the 600's, 700's, 800's, and 900's. It's just Elon torpedo's the stock consistently. You also seem to ignore that despite all of us knowing the reason for Q2's QoQ drop from Q1, we all knew Wall St was going to use that an excuse to create a narrative of a "peak" in growth %, margins, earnings growth %, etc......like we all knew they would do that. And it still wouldn't have matter that much because the stock was trending back to 1,000 before Elon dumped more shares.

We're simply stuck in a waiting game for Tesla's TTM P/E and Foward P/E to come down enough that institutional investors will jump in despite the Elon factor. The wild card is the credit rating that could come at any time, but I think we can all agree Moody's/S&P are going to drag it out as long as possible. Probably won't do it until after Q4's earnings.

I really think that the next big SP jump for TSLA will be from the upgrade and institutional buying. Since that could happen anytime, we should have a nice short squeeze that week.
Yes, totally agree, but I also think there are more factors as well. Tailwinds are strong:

Big ones being '22Q3 and '22Q4 (and beyond) manufacturing and delivery reports. 2 new factories ramping up with huge gross margins once they are at full steam will make previous earnings look miniscule.

Another smaller one is Tesla being proactive on the new tax credit, I expect new variations of current models coming out that will take full advantage of the tax credits.

Reactions: GSP and BornToFly