Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, but with all due respect, by saying "it's still true Elon's antics might be a significant factor" you're going back to speculation not backed by your data analysis. I thought the point of the post was to debunk those theories.

To me, your data suggests either
a) The broader market is more influential on TSLA's price than Elon's antics, or,
b) Elon's antics are a major factor affecting the broader market - and TSLA - equally.
(That second conclusion may require analysis of correlation between the SP and individual events in Elon's timeline, like August 7, 2018 - see below. And who's to judge which of his hundreds of actions are 'significant'?? You can't just say 'Elon tweeted last Thursday and the SP also went down last Thursday'. And it's another level of interpretation if a tweet is a positive or negative influence).

I was looking for a serious conclusion from someone who's done the homework.

View attachment 844982
To clarify, I'm saying that Elon's antics might be significant in the sense that it has some nonzero influence but I don't have good data on hand to test it.

The coefficient of determination (R^2) for the NASDAQ vs TSLA is about 80% depending on what time period I look at. That means most of the TSLA variation over the short term is caused by, or at least correlated with, the NASDAQ's movement. It also means that 100-80% = 20% of the variation remains unexplained by the model. The macro market is the overwhelmingly dominant factor, having 80/20 = 4x more influence than all other factors combined and more like 6x more influence when we look at only Q2 when the Twitter stuff all started.

That ~20% unexplained variation is either totally random or other factors are at play, one of which might be Elon's public behavior and stock sales. Other strong candidates include Tesla's actual quarterly reports and guidance, the new factories finally starting production, Tesla's avalanche of demand and subsequent price raises, and the US EV tax credit being refreshed. Also, as @StarFoxisDown! has pointed out, the Shanghai COVID shutdowns may have provided Wall St manipulators the opportunity to keep Tesla's impending explosion of profits from affecting the stock much this summer, but that dam will break soon enough.

Edit: I should also point out that for the simple model using only the NASDAQ index to predict TSLA, the prediction error is primarily coming from it underestimating how high TSLA has gotten this summer despite the NASDAQ being way down from earlier this year.

Last edited:
As I found out yesterday, TSLA has almost no relationship to the NASDAQ index on days it moves less than ~1.5%. The beta of ~2 is still there but the correlation is very weak.

View attachment 844983
Your data supports that. I'm wondering how beta vs volume would look? Seems like we're more likely to be manipulated away from our beta with lower volume...R^2 likely increases with low volume removed?

So this morning instead of having 3x TSLA, I now have 1x TSLA and 2x of a new company: TSLATEMP...

Screenshot_20220825-094020_TD (Canada)~2.jpg

Okay, but with all due respect, by saying "it's still true Elon's antics might be a significant factor" you're going back to speculation not backed by your data analysis. I thought the point of the post was to debunk those theories.

To me, your data suggests either
a) The broader market is more influential on TSLA's price than Elon's antics, or,
b) Elon's antics are a major factor affecting the broader market - and TSLA - equally.
(That second conclusion may require analysis of correlation between the SP and individual events in Elon's timeline, like August 7, 2018 - see below. And who's to judge which of his hundreds of actions are 'significant'?? You can't just say "Elon tweeted last Thursday and the SP also went down last Thursday" and conclude "aHA! See??". And it's another level of interpretation if a tweet is a positive or negative influence).

I was looking for a serious conclusion from someone who's done the homework.

View attachment 844982
I’ve done the homework. The SP is controlled by powerful people who either make up stories to add volatility to the SP or go with the macro flow and enhance those stories to create volatility. An example of the latter has been playing out for years; Recession coming! Recession coming! For sure recession coming now! Pandemic, woohoo! Recession still coming! Recession is here just ignore all the evidence to the contrary! We’re serious now, recession coming! Interest hike good! Interest hike bad! Boom, recession!

Elon is a godsend to these crooks because his actions can easily be used to enhance volatility. Mary Barra may be leading the EV revolution, but nobody cares about her in the scheme of things because as a business figurehead she’s as vanilla as they come. Elon though is honey jalapeño pickle flavor.

The SP will continue to not reflect Tesla business accurately for years to come. Mark my words.

I’ve done the homework. The SP is controlled by powerful people who either make up stories to add volatility to the SP or go with the macro flow and enhance those stories to create volatility. An example of the latter has been playing out for years; Recession coming! Recession coming! For sure recession coming now! Pandemic, woohoo! Recession still coming! Recession is here just ignore all the evidence to the contrary! We’re serious now, recession coming! Interest hike good! Interest hike bad! Boom, recession!

Elon is a godsend to these crooks because his actions can easily be used to enhance volatility. Mary Barra may be leading the EV revolution, but nobody cares about her in the scheme of things because as a business figurehead she’s as vanilla as they come. Elon though is honey jalapeño pickle flavor.

The SP will continue to not reflect Tesla business accurately for years to come. Mark my words.

This in no way reduces the possibility that these "powerful people" you speak of aren't themselves somebody's sock puppets, does it? 🤔
🤫

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Good news on Giga Berlin run rate:
@Troy
Sadly, some other sources are saying this isn't true and that Berlin's current run rate is still 1300/week.

Man what a disappointment this factory continues to be. At this point, it's practically assured Austin will leapfrog them in production by Q4, if not this quarter. By far the biggest blunder by since the Model 3 launch. Yes, even bigger blunder than the S/X refresh.

Yes Giga Berlin had to happen eventually, but just think of what Tesla's global production rate would be if they had done a second China factory.....or even started construction on Austin first instead of Berlin. 🥴