Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a FPL customer who buys solar power from them,I am puzzled by those figures. FPL has some massive solar fields. They have announced planning for a 2.6 Terawatt battery for backup also. My price for solar power is comparable to conventional. Also, several of my neighbors have solar panels, so I don’t think FPL does much to discourage it.
FPL loves to promote solar energy as long as they're the one's producing it and selling it to their customers. They do everything possible to discourage their customers from installing their own solar. My Tesla solar was installed 4 years ago and used to power my home and Model S with only a connect charge of $9.00/month. FPL needed a way to charge more for customers using their own solar and weren't allowed to implement a charge specifically targeting solar customers. So they figured out a work-around. They instituted a minimum electric charge of $25. Since only those of us with solar had bills of $9.00 it raised our monthly bill from $9 to $25. Anyone without solar was already paying more than the $25 minimum so was unaffected. Of course they don't mind taking the excess energy I give them and selling it for 4 times what they pay me for it.

So no, I wouldn't consider FPL to be customer friendly at all regarding solar. They just want all the benefits for themselves.

Last edited:
As scheduled, FSD price in the US has risen to $15,000. And $19,500 CAD in Canada.
There is a 13% tax on that $19,500 in Ontario, and 15% in Nova Scotia.

And if the FSD is bought for a new Model Y LR purchase, it brings the total to just over $100K (whereas before it would have been $97K).
There is a new luxury tax for cars over $100K. This makes the price for adding FSD the same as or more than buying some small new cars.

Until FSD beta 69 proves itself, I expect the number of FSD purchases on new orders to drop.

I checked with a friend who has a MY LR on order. The price for her to add FSD today is still $10,800 Canadian, which was the original price when she ordered the Y. Convinced her to add it. Assuming others do the same, the new higher price could INCREASE the take rate for existing orders.

1662431078543.png

Forward Observing

Bottom Line up front. Deliberate Incompetence ~ Red tape creators.

My third solar panel array was installed/permit inspection 30Jun2022. Privatized utility company finally installed net-meter on 11Aug2022.

Background ~ Utility (electric and gas) provider is notified by the customer having solar panels installed and the solar panel installer with schematics. Both permit approval and utility provider must review and approve the build taking time. This private utility stars their process after the panels are installed and certified by the permitting authority. This privatized utility only, according to their email, order the net-meter after they have been notified the new install has been certified. Only after they have your net-meter will they make their final review and schedule an install.

Install #1 2013 ~ Privatized 7 to 10 work days

Install #2 2019 ~ Public 48 hrs. FYI ~ start the approval process as soon as contract is signed by customer months before actual build.

Install #3 2022 ~ same Privatized as #1. FYI ~ start the process only, and only once every thing is installed and certified by permit authority.

Now, to be fair and honest to our privatized utility provider ~ I bumped my home electrical supply up from generic 200 to 320 system October 2021. Thus cutting our fossil fuel consumption, after replacing thirty year old gas furnace system. Did I mention our private utility provider never upgraded our meter. In fact, the net-meter installer was caught by surprise ~ he just happened to have a spare 320 system net-meter. That told me they really had not ordered me specifically a net-meter.

Question ~ my system has been producing electricity since 30Jun2022, but the hose was pinched since then with no where to go. First, I get no credit for the production during the blockage. Second, is there any damage to my system waiting to send to the grid?

FYI ~ yes, I filed a complaint with the state. I was told the did nothing wrong, did not violate any rules or break any laws.

The advantage to delaying our install of the net-meter is a passive-aggressive tactic making the private utility provider in my case, money. I must keep paying for electricity used; not just working days, but those pesky weekends too.

Deliberate Incompetent ~ my private utility provider.

Okay, you know me ~ I smarted off with can I change utility providers? The answer was yes! But first, I had to obtain permission from the private utilit, before the receiving utility can approve the transfer. And, by the way it is cost prohibitive. I am . . . ‘d

Cheers

These aspirations, promises I don't believe have materialized. Has not made any headway. Musk quite rightly deserves all the ridicule he gets in making tall claims.

View attachment 849376
Perhaps the strategy changed from capex to cash flow? Have paying customers buy solar+powerwalls, then get them to VPP superchargers to prevent blackouts using autobidder.