Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Powerballs. I love it! After some consideration, I'm thinking Xepa must have been using speech to text or got autocorrected, and "a sphere" was actually intended to be "LFP here". Maybe?
Shortie, Mr Powerball will need a a periscope to look over a 2 ft wall ;) and will have a hard time going up-hill (gravity ...)

bi-pedal multi-purpose humanoid is the best option. cheers!!

• Funny
Reactions: SmokyPeat
Powerballs. I love it! After some consideration, I'm thinking Xepa must have been using speech to text or got autocorrected, and "a sphere" was actually intended to be "LFP here". Maybe?

Powerballs rolls off the tongue as if Mel Brooks might have coined the name.

Who wouldn't want to bask in the envy of having the most ballsy yard in the neighborhood?

;)😁

Reaching the "not sure if you are joking" threshold of product rumors has always been my goal with this thread. Great work everyone!

the-joker-heath-ledger.gif

You mean other than lobbying for a bill to get rid of net metering and significantly increasing the monthly fee to stay connected to the grid? Thankfully Desantis vetoed the bill. It would have crushed rooftop solar
Btw, I live in Miami, I have yet to see one solar panel in the entire county. Something
is amiss.

France has 32 unoperational nuclear power plants.
By end december, 28 should be operational again. The remaining 4 should be operational by februari. By the end of this month, the first 12 should be operational again:

So normally this should add about 30 GW to the EU grid. To put this in context, at this very moment France currently has 5 GW of gas based electricity generation, Belgium 2 GW, The Netherlands 4 GW, Germany 3 GW, Northern Italy 11 GW and Spain 10 GW.

The heating season only starts around oktober so the timely restart of the French nuclear power plants should give the EU some breathing room wrt gas reserves and electricity prices.

Tesla Operating Margins vs GM and Ford.

I share this for 2 reasons:
1. Demonstrates Tesla's progress over the past 2 years.
2. Shows that GM and Ford do not make much profit selling autos (they're basically banks). The transition to EVs will be difficult and costly for them.

2022 is through June 2022. I will update the chart for Q3 when available which should show Tesla extending its lead.

1662468041654.png

2. Shows that GM and Ford do not make much profit selling autos (they're basically banks). The transition to EVs will be difficult and costly for them.

2022 is through June 2022. I will update the chart for Q3 when available which should show Tesla extending its lead.

View attachment 849454
This makes me wonder when would Tesla be able to do in house vehicle financing? I know, fast growing tech companies aren't supposed to use cash on things like that, but it's going to start piling up soon. Would that make sense?

This makes me wonder when would Tesla be able to do in house vehicle financing? I know, fast growing tech companies aren't supposed to use cash on things like that, but it's going to start piling up soon. Would that make sense?
They do have in house leasing now, which given them the benefit of a used car source (no end of lease purchase option in US).
Given their expansion goals and return on CapEx, it seems financing a purchase would have a lower return than full cash up front from external financing.

@unk45 who knows a bit about the auto financing business is not a fan of Tesla launching it's own financing arm. But when I look at the margins that Ford and GM show, I wonder why it would not be a good idea. Perhaps what we are missing are huge write-offs not reflected in the numbers that occur during each market down cycle. Maybe @unk45 can make the case again on why its not a good idea despite seeing F & GM huge margins.

Inside info: I’ve heard the next version of the Tesla Powerwall will be a sphere.

Speculation: this makes sense if it’s going from a wall mount to being on the floor, which aligns with the concept of using LFP for Powerwalls. This would free up more batteries for cars. And LFP comes from China, which fits well as the 30% subsidy for solar installations doesn’t care about battery origin. This also means Tesla can massively ramp up Power wall installation if they just use a bunch of LFP batteries.

LFP also means more cycle time, which is great for the ROI of a power wall and the ability to use it regularly as a VPP.

Floor mounted LFP Powerballs is a step forward.

If the Powerball can be deployed inside and outside that is a potential advantage.
A sphere is a horrible idea.

Why would this suggest the transition should be difficult and costly for GM and Ford? It looks like they can lose as much money as they like building EVs, because they'll make it up financing them.

Reactions: Thekiwi and wtlloyd
Why would this suggest the transition should be difficult and costly for GM and Ford? It looks like they can lose as much money as they like building EVs, because they'll make it up financing them.
I'll take a shot at helping to answer that.

One of the many reasons the transition will be difficult is that for every EV sold by GM or Ford, that's an ICE vehicle that they don't sell. So the financing aspect is almost a wash. They are spending huge capital on the transition. They need to make up for that somehow. Unless their margins for EVs are higher than ICE, I don't see any other way to finance their investment in EV production.

This is where the Inflation Reduction Act comes to the rescue. It gives them a fighting chance to raise prices and increase margins to finance the transition.