Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just be careful. If anyone actually looked at some of the car companies that went under in the US from my post, you noticed the majority of them was during the dawn of ICE. It was a gold rush for everyone to start their own ICE company, not much different than the hundreds of EV companies in China today.
The one I liked was American Motors. It ultimately had to be acquired to stay "alive", but it's demise was, among many factors, it's inability to keep up with increased fuel efficiency standards.

Highest safety assist rating ever, someone tell Dan O Dowd...

EDIT: Original source: Tesla Model Y earns five-star ANCAP rating
Additional commentary from The Verge. This safety rating news is awesome.

The testing measures four areas: the vehicle’s ability to protect adults; its ability to protect children; the protection it provides vulnerable road users like cyclists and pedestrians; and its safety assistance features. The Model Y, made at Tesla’s new gigafactory in Berlin, scored a 97 percent in Adult Occupant Protection and a “near-perfect” 98 percent in Safety Assist, with full points for its lane support and new cabin camera-based driver monitoring system, Euro NCAP reports.

The agency also commended Tesla for its camera-only vision system, which it said “performs remarkably well” in preventing collisions with other cars, cyclists, and pedestrians.

Tesla have shown that nothing but the best is good enough for them, and we hope to see them continue to aspire to that goal in the future,” Michiel van Ratingen, Euro NCAP’s secretary general, said in a statement.

Tesla Models SEXY are the best safety performers and Model Y is the best of the best. Nice!

Both of you appear to be confusing Teslas cash on hand (which is more than 14B, but not THAT MUCH more) and Musks personal wealth (which is about 12-15x more than Teslas cash on hand)
OTOH, you are confusing Teslas value ($873 Billion) with its cash on hand ($19 Billion).
They don't have to offer all cash in a deal, they could offer TSLA stock instead.

BTW, Elon's personal wealth is also mostly in stocks, not cash, so your comparison is faulty anyway.

@unk45
Without reference to your thesis about connector types you neglect BEV's sold in the US by Tata and Stellantis
Electric Vehicle Sales and Market Share (US - Updated Monthly) says Tata and Stellantis has 0 BEV sales in the US in 2021. Are you confusing PHEV with BEV or do you have a source that says they sold BEVs in 2021 in the US?

also misrepresent charging station reliability as somehow related to connector type

I never typed a word about reliability related to connector type. Either you are reading into the study I linked to and assuming I wrote the study or you are imagining that I wrote something I didn't write for some other reason.

Just be careful. If anyone actually looked at some of the car companies that went under in the US from my post, you noticed the majority of them was during the dawn of ICE. It was a gold rush for everyone to start their own ICE company, not much different than the hundreds of EV companies in China today.
253 in 1908, 44 in 1929 and The Great Depression wiped out the rest.

Fast forward to today and the landscape is different, but it is a foregone conclusion that AI will do the same thing as it takes over manufacturing efficiencies and the driving task.

Yes, the impossible has been delayed a bit, but it is coming nonetheless.

How will the Cybertruck perform in its safety rating tests? I think the testing agencies will need to add a fifth point of measure.
1) the vehicle’s ability to protect adults;
2) the vehicle's ability to protect children;
3) the vehicles's protection it provides vulnerable road users like cyclists and pedestrians;

(I believe Cybertruck will score high in safety due to the front end angle design, roll over the top rather than like being hit by a wall compared to all other pick-up truck "flat face mamma" designs)
4) the vehicle's safety assistance features.

5) the vehicle's ability to protect the testing agencies' safety testing equipment. Their equipment is in for a world of hurt.

The one I liked was American Motors. It ultimately had to be acquired to stay "alive", but it's demise was, among many factors, it's inability to keep up with increased fuel efficiency standards.

Right toward the end there AMC partnered up with Renault- I'd assume in an attempt to meet those new standards. My parents bought a pair of the R5 Le Cars. Only car I've ever seen w 3 lug nuts per wheel, lol.

Do Reduced Wait Times mean a Reduced Backlog? I'm not so sure.

Delivery wait times not only factor increases in production at all four vehicle plants but also takes into consideration the increased capacity expected in Q4 2022 and Q1 2023. It is possible that the backlog is the same or greater even if the wait times come down.
It is also possible the backlog has come down as there have been huge price increases and a weakening economy.
One way we may know is to look at the Customer Deposits on the Balance Sheet when Q3 is published. It that number goes up, I suspect the backlog has not dropped.

The increase of $94m in Q4 2021 and $200m in Q1 2023 (see chart below) had the effect of an increasing backlog and the fact that Tesla changed deposits from $100 to $250 in the US on Aug 2021. But the $100 deposit backlog is all but flushed out as of today so any change in the Customer Order amount in Q3 should be driven by orders.

The customer orders cover Energy and Auto and within Auto the Semi, CT and Roadster but I believe the movement in this number is driven mainly from the churn on the S3XY auto orders.

Let's see what the Q3 numbers show us.

View attachment 849868
To quote Nathan Hale, "I only regret that I have but one thumb to lose for this post."

Right toward the end there AMC partnered up with Renault- I'd assume in an attempt to meet those new standards. My parents bought a pair of the R5 Le Cars. Only car I've ever seen w 3 lug nuts per wheel, lol.
They kept getting cash infusions from Renault to keep afloat with Renault eventually taking on majority ownership. Renault eventually received too much pressure and sold its stake to chrysler

SMS with:
- "79° in zip code xxxxx or street X"
- "AQI 84 in zip code xxxxx or street X"
- "Water level XX in zip code xxxxx or street X"
- etc.

...from a IoT sensor spanning every street across a city would be entirely helpful and a great use for Starlink in cities. Then, pair that message to automated systems for city management, transportation management, and Google Maps + Navigation (as an example)...
Don’t know about the USA but Europe already has IOT networks (sigfox, lora) with near 100% coverage, and probably a lot more low power than anything that works via a sattelite.

Grohmann is a multidisciplinary engineering automation and service company. Value was in talent and knowledge. Tesla phased out their 3rd party contracts.
IDRA is a casting machine design and integration subsidiary of L.K. Technology (which also makes the presses) whose value is in sales of machines. They would not be a viable acquisition unless Tesla continued selling presses to 3rd parties.

As long as Tesla stays in the front on IDRA orders, and IDRA keeps innovating to meet Tesla's needs, there is no great advantage to be gained from buying them.
Well, Idra doesn't give out castings at cost. The advantage of acquisition is to reduce cost of each machine built when Idra no longer take a massive cut in the form of gross margins.

If Tesla were to build 100 giga presses on their way to 20M cars, the cost savings pay for itself at only 14B

No, they do not. The safety latch on CCS is routinely damaged by users. The bulkiness and weight of CCS compared to Tesla makes it a chore to insert and remove -- often times force is required. CCS users get used to yanking the connector out of the port, and when the latch is still engaged they break it.

You have to live with CCS for a while to grasp just how superior the Tesla plug is by comparison. The Tesla solution also has lights to tell the user when to remove the connector. That is **so** useful, and it is missing on CCS. I'm letting a friend use our CCS car for a few days, so I gave some thought to how to instruct him in DCFC use and not cause damage. Ughh

The latch confused me, the European CCS that the new Tesla superchargers in Europe use don´t have them. Found out there is an American (CCS/Combo 1) and a European version (CCS/Combo 2) which are different: Combined Charging System - Wikipedia

Just had a thought. Elon stated Tesla was seeing materials costs starting to drop. If this continues Elon further stated they would try to lower prices.

However demand far exceeds production so price drops don't necessarily affect the Mission. What if, instead, Tesla offers a temporary discount to FSD? As FSD improves, any increase in takerate will have an absolute impact on safety. Considering FSD profit margins this seems like a better option both for overall safety improvements and for Teslas financials.

Just had a thought. Elon stated Tesla was seeing materials costs starting to drop. If this continues Elon further stated they would try to lower prices.

However demand far exceeds production so price drops don't necessarily affect the Mission. What if, instead, Tesla offers a temporary discount to FSD? As FSD improves, any increase in takerate will have an absolute impact on safety. Considering FSD profit margins this seems like a better option both for overall safety improvements and for Teslas financials.
They just raised the price a couple days ago though. Not sure they even want more people buying FSD in the short term.

Yes, especially soon in Berlin. That is my preferred purchase and I don't want crappy Fremont paintwork.
Anal much? My Freemont made red MY is still red after 15K miles and 1 year of use. Take your biases elsewhere.
Why would anyone use Starlink in a city?
I am going to use Starlink in a city to show a finger to 2 monopolies that nobody seems to notice/care. I just want to pay Tesla not them.

Additional commentary from The Verge. This safety rating news is awesome.

The testing measures four areas: the vehicle’s ability to protect adults; its ability to protect children; the protection it provides vulnerable road users like cyclists and pedestrians; and its safety assistance features. The Model Y, made at Tesla’s new gigafactory in Berlin, scored a 97 percent in Adult Occupant Protection and a “near-perfect” 98 percent in Safety Assist, with full points for its lane support and new cabin camera-based driver monitoring system, Euro NCAP reports.

The agency also commended Tesla for its camera-only vision system, which it said “performs remarkably well” in preventing collisions with other cars, cyclists, and pedestrians.

Tesla have shown that nothing but the best is good enough for them, and we hope to see them continue to aspire to that goal in the future,” Michiel van Ratingen, Euro NCAP’s secretary general, said in a statement.

Tesla Models SEXY are the best safety performers and Model Y is the best of the best. Nice!
Yesterday, I discovered that you can still hit a tree in reverse, and yet still receive a 100% safety score. But it was an edge case as you’ll see, and most embarrassing because I did this right in front of a charity event food line no less than 15 ft way, 100+ Homeless watching it. (I hand out batteries to homeless each week, rough stuff in this heat, makes my problems go away… this one especially as it made me laugh at the dichotomy of it all; how could I possibly complain, right?)

Like I said, unusual parking situation where the tree leaned out past the curb, (jumped?) so perhaps sonar wasn't sensed in time, no warning that I recall. The visual was terrible - a giant tree with poor contrast against the cement wall. Upon review, I could just barely make it out in the rear view mirror (too dark) especially with bright sunlight in front.
In reality, we both missed this one, but sure would be good to get the latest Beta… please?
Ya my spoiler is in the back seat now. MYP, fully operational, no misaligned hatch or new wind noises. It didn’t budge… the tree!

4FC336EF-C1F8-45BA-BB97-CD343FA593DE.jpeg