Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stand corrected. Thank you. I was commenting based on my previous knowledge of the subject.

I've only used V3 superchargers a few times. They must be engineered so well that I never noticed that the cables are thicker. And I never noticed the loud noises you get from the pumps on EA chargers.

So this is just a case of better engineering on Tesla's part.
The V3 are actually thinner with the liquid cooling. There tends to be a good bit of fan noise from the cabinet when near 250kW on a hot day - but the car is doing it too.

V3 were a huge engineering win - lighter and cooler cables, faster charging, no split power with other stalls, and it wouldnt shock me to learn they are somehow cheaper to make or install.

GM launches "$30,000" Equinox EV, bringing "high-volume, affordable EV to the masses" to a bunch of rah-rah fanfare and marketing assist from the TV channels on which it will pay to be advertised. None of the coverage mentions Tesla in the lead, or Chevy Bolt failure.

GM -0.39% TSLA +1.43%
And does anyone really believe it'll be $30k? Even the base base model? I'm betting $35k after $7500 rebate.

Um.....hello? I've logged in for my @StarFoxisDown! underperformance rant!

TSLA being held at $288 as the NASDAQ pops .5%? Come on!

We may close the week at $299. Let's hope we can also see WTI at $7x.

Weekly EIA US oil supply report was pretty terrible. Large build in commercial crude(mostly from the SPR) and no pop in fuel consumption.

V3 were a huge engineering win - ... , no split power with other stalls
I have to correct you here. V3 still shares power with other stalls, though at most sites it is across the entire site instead of just one other stall. If every stall is occupied, and demanding lots of power, most sites can only supply ~90kW per stall. (Still better than V2.) Of course that rarely happens, so most people don't realize that power sharing is still a thing with V3.

Staying above 283 today (really more like 282.50) will give confirmation of a breakout on the down trend. Doing that on a meh day for the overall market would be a great sign.
Patience Grasshopper - I agree that we need to be above that approximate price to approach a breakout @henchman24 , but would suggest that a close above that price today isn't nearly as important as closing above that price tomorrow (a Friday), for reasons I had previously posted. TSLA is trying to break above a one-year resistance line that forms a Yuuuge wedge with the 3-year line of support it has traded into for almost a year. The one-year trendline is formed by weekly closing prices - not daily moves above the trendline, which allows for some great mid-week 'head fakes' above and below those longer trendlines by MM's and then a pullback into the wedge by the close of trading on Friday. On the longer trends it is not just a matter of 'if' we break above, but 'when' we break above. The MM's 'could' walk the price up today and pull it right back down tomorrow into the wedge, and would put a Deon Sanders juke on the Day Traders while TSLA simply continues to trade into the massive wedge on the longer charts - which do happen to converge right around Q3 numbers being released and perhaps a bit of pressure to pump the market prior to mid-term elections, both of which are great catalysts for the breakout you mentioned. I am sincerely hopeful we break above it sooner than later. But after trading too early into a longer-term breakout a few too many times over the years, I would be wary of some strong Tractor Beam-action back below the wedge before Friday afternoon. Hope to wrong!

Last edited:
And does anyone really believe it'll be $30k? Even the base base model? I'm betting $35k after $7500 rebate.
I assume it will be the typical bait and switch. "We will offer this 30k model for real guys! Just wait 5 years and we will totally make a bunch of them to sell. Oh and our dealers will add 10k in market adjustment to collect your tax credit."

Yeah they have that. It's called 'Powerpack':

800px-TeslaSuperchargerPowerpack.jpg

You might find the Powerpack waiting list to be even longer than the one for Powerwall. Backorders for TE products now go out to 2024.

Cheers!
Is the Powerpack now available for 240V residential services @Artful Dodger ? When I had inquired about buying one for our farm in Idaho I was told by the Tesla rep that it was only available for 480V services, and that of course caused some headaches for residential applications. IIRC, @skitown ran into the same issues when designing his pretty awesome Tesla solar system

I assume it will be the typical bait and switch. "We will offer this 30k model for real guys! Just wait 5 years and we will totally make a bunch of them to sell. Oh and our dealers will add 10k in market adjustment to collect your tax credit."
So, you mean like the $35k Model 3? Hide it and sell a few before they just plain stop offering anything even close?

(Sorry, but it had to be said.)

You might find the Powerpack waiting list to be even longer than the one for Powerwall. Backorders for TE products now go out to 2024.

Cheers!

I went looking for Powerpack after Axlexandra posted her product matrix for Tesla the other day. I can't find Powerpack anywhere on the Tesla website now. Just Powerwall and Megapack.

It is Globalstar. Their trades on stock exchange have been halted. I think this feature is less sophisticate than T-Mobile in combination with Starlink as with you don’t have to look for satellites and you can send texts too.

Regarding sharing SpaceX wrote: Globalstar, has enjoyed exclusive access to portions of the 1.6/2.4 GHz bands, even though the Commission did not provide Globalstar with perpetual exclusive use of the bands. After evaluating the current use of the 1.6/2.4 GHz bands, SpaceX has determined that it can leverage its state-of-the-art space technology and its rapid launch cadence to deploy and operate an NGSO system to serve consumers in the band without causing harmful interference to other licensed systems.

I went looking for Powerpack after Axlexandra posted her product matrix for Tesla the other day. I can't find Powerpack anywhere on the Tesla website now. Just Powerwall and Megapack.
I think they discontinued Powerpack
In response to my questions about the cost of a Tesla Powerpack, Elon Musk provided some interesting new information:

“Powerpack is an older product. Megapack is what we now ship to utility or heavy industrial users.

When I was exploring that option about a year ago I was told by the Tesla Energy rep that Tesla was actively working on a new 240 V version of the Powerpack at that time, but I too have not seen anything about this more residential-friendly version yet either. I think it will be a Home Run. Our solar project could have 6 to 8 Powerwalls on it, and I would gladly just get a single Powerpack to put outside and then play the VPP roulette machine every day instead. The Powerpack can be very heavy since it won't hang on a wall, so it can use the least expensive ingredients as a result. And since it will likely have an order of magnitude more energy storage than a Powerwall, deploying it in residential locations will begin to create the Distributed Grid no matter how hard the PUD's resist it. Yes, we would like to have one (or more). But I do wonder how easy it will be to obtain as a residential customer with all the Dark Forces resisting the larger benefits of a Distributed Grid.

Cheers!
I know that pic is from the Wiki article you cited... but I don't think those are Powerpack cabinets. I think those are the Supercharger cabinets.

The little square black puck on the doors are the cell antennas that Supercharger cabinets are known to have... don't recall seeing those on Powerpacks, which instead have ventilated doors...