Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
re @MSMike‘s post: I do not dislike the concept of covering canals but, as demonstrated elsewhere and as I wrote earlier this morning, their topology makes for an inefficient solar farm. Wiring for any source (as well as for batteries as repository) needs to performed in a combination of series and parallel, and the linear shape of a canal plays harry with that necessity.
I remember someone here in the past mentioned using the land below and around high powered lines as a good place to start. The land around the powerlines are usually cleared of buildings/trees and easily connect to the grid.

I have been waiting a long time for the spring to unwind. I think it might be happening now and here's the technical reason!...

The fudster Kowalski (sp) just did a pretty good size article on Tesla and didn't say anything bad. To me this means her puppet Master's told her to change the tune because they've decided that Tesla can now move much higher and they want to be on the winning team.

You should probably go take a peek at options expiring this week. Very unlikely TSLA closes above 300 today. Would need a lot more volume to cover the spoofing that being had from MM's.

The macros seem to really be supporting the stock today but I would expect there to be somewhat of a pull back across the board in the macro's in the last hour of trading today.
Look at next week. Expect a pull-back.

The updates on the Megapack and Powerwall were by far the best bits of information. The Megapack volume increase is oustanding and they're still heavily hiring so I expect that ramp to be continues for the next few quarters. I believe the Megapack max planned capacity at least for Lathrop would bring in roughly 20-25 billion in revenue annually.

Also an important thing to call out in that info dump/leak was that they specifically called out how they're hitting higher production levels all around with slightly fewer employees (from the layoffs) and that they want even more production per employee going forward.......You can practically smell the operating margin increase from here 😁
And more good news... Fremont going from ~10,400/week to 12K then 14K...

Hmmmm.....Lets see how this works out :)

1662745587505.png

Hmmmm.....Lets see how this works out :)

View attachment 850711

I'm sure all the automakers have been watching the direct to consumer sales model with interest, and whatever car they make, presumably they want to maximize profits. Also, the world, and transactional world, has changed significantly since the inception of the dealer model was established.

Reactions: Doit and navguy12
OK, I'll bit.... No disrespect to natives if I'm missing some hot button, but how about Az Tribal land? Could be a win/win. Give them a % revenue, train solar skills, engage the communities. Maybe even trade their power center for some water and infrastructure. I've seen that they can grow corn in the desert without any water other than natural rainfall. It's not much, but they know a little something about the desert and living off the land in general without destroying it.
They're already doing it. Until the last 15 years or so, fossil fuel energy was the biggest export industry for the Navajo, who used to have a lot of their highest-paying employment from coal mining and from the dirty old coal-powered Navajo Generating Station which was retired in 2019, decades early. They've also historically relied on oil & gas mining. Since around 2008, they have been begun pivoting into solar and wind development.

Navajo Nation is the biggest in the American Southwest. Their land (plus the Hopi Reservation encircled by it) is 30k square miles, as big as Ireland and South Carolina. The land gets ~400 TWh of average daily insolation, which at 10% overall efficiency would mean a theoretical maximum of ~40 TWh of average daily electricity production if they hypothetically covered the entire area with panels. For comparison, in 2021 the entire US consumed a daily average of 11 TWh of electricity per day according to the Energy Information Administration.

1662745231119.png
1662746407746.png

Last edited:
Go to jail.
Go directly to jail.
Do not pass Sparta.
Do not collect $300.
IF you enter a limit sell order for $300, I predict it will execute today before the close; That does not mean the TSLA will close above or at $300. When the price is this close, the MM's have some incentive to shake loose Put holders by threatening them to be worthless, while giving hope to call holders to not take the remaining time premium. So if you want to collect $300, you probably can. But why would you want to?

Chicken dinner!

That once, for a few decades, paradisaical lake now is a benighted toxic soup of ever more saline brine, has a dimension of 35 by 15 miles (525 sqmi); its lake surface now is diminished to about 350 but the horrific shoreline is, at best, covered with invasive, exotic tamarisk. The few communities remaining along its earlier shoreline are populated by ones who cannot find buyers; I’ve not performed a headcount but very, very few would not love to be bought out - or remain to watch the rate of progress of the covering of its surface with a set of floating panels.
It is well-located near to one of the great megalopolises of the nation and world, within an easy hop of high-voltage lines and also tying into a robust extant grid of same.
Such a covering would decrease the evaporation rate of the lake. PERHAPS its level might even rise, diminishing current salinity, but I make no such unverified claim.
Ownership? Guess who owns it?😁

(a bit more to come).

The Salton Sea is so toxic, I would not be surprised if it would literally eat away at anything installed on top of it. You can smell this place sometimes as much as 50 miles away, it's rancid. Air quality around the sea is typically "red".

There is great power connectivity by SDG&E in the area, as they have both a wind and solar farm about 30 miles west of the sea, would be a pretty easy tie-in to HVDC lines.

On a semi-related note, several companies previously expressed interest in mining Lithium from the Salton Sea. But a California tax law recently passed is going to give a lot of mining companies pause on extracting lithium in this state. The industry even pretty much told the CA legislature "don't do it, or we'll look elsewhere":

It's a stupid flat tax per ton, not a tax based upon value. So the tax is not that much if Lithium remains valuable, but as Lithium mining scales up across the world, eventually we will see prices drop, and margins in CA will get eaten alive by this tax.

re @MSMike‘s post: I do not dislike the concept of covering canals but, as demonstrated elsewhere and as I wrote earlier this morning, their topology makes for an inefficient solar farm. Wiring for any source (as well as for batteries as repository) needs to performed in a combination of series and parallel, and the linear shape of a canal plays harry with that necessity.

Perhaps, on a project of enough scale there could be a unique design that includes the series/parallel wiring aspect in each panel, using edge connectors to make the circuits from panel to panel. This would likely make assembly easier than current standards as well. Then, just tap an output periodically, based upon designed conductor current capacity across a set of panels, and bring it out to a Megapack.

If covering canals is to become a thing, there should be enough of a potential market for some manufacturer to take this design on. (hint, hint)

Last edited: