Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropping like a stone in pre market. Any news?

Edit. Oh, CPI
5C84D696-97A0-4668-982C-42BAB8F7FEBE.png

Buying opportunity ;)

recalibrate? was not aware this was required ... admittedly i don't have time to carefully read all the release notes for FSD Beta
I’ve been under the impression each release goes out with people having various settings under the hood being different and tesla remotely adjusts those as time goes on based on fleet performance.

At least I thought that’s the conclusion everyone came to when one release seemed to perform different not just across cars but some people noticed improvements in their car over time in one release.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zero CO2

So the majority of the cost reduction was from economy of scale, we all know that...
That oversimplifies the reality. The facts argue for manufacturing excellence and. closely related, highly developed factory operating systems. That is not exactly 'economy of scale'. In fact it is that very flexible production technology that allows Tesla to produce many variants of vehicles while reducing unit cost.

Proof of that is most obviously seen with the multiple battery systems and assembly techniques presently produced all as 'Model Y'. 4680, 2170, prismatic, structural packs, non-structural packs, one giga casting, two gigacasting, AWD, RWD and so on. Those are different vehicles.

In short it is not simple scale. It is manufacturing excellence in highly differentiated products.

Certainly from a naive view, like Moody's, Tesla has four models, only four models, the 2012 Model S and a 2022 Model S are identical aging models. Still, with modest volumes the new Model S is not only superior in all respects but also is much cheaper to build. Modest volume, very high margins. Partly that is because all the variants Tesla makes have the same vehicle operating system. That does give them major scale economies, as does using the same motors (even for SpaceX F9) and many parts in all or most products.

Obviously Tesla has some scale economies that are 'Big Deals' but those are the product of the manufacturing systems, not an independent factor. Typical industrial scale economies are found by using suppliers which sell almost identical parts for many OEMs.

Tesla achieves those scale economies by deploying the same operating system and viewing manufacturing as a product, not simply as a means to an end. Doing that makes them more highly integrated than has been any auto manufacturer since the Ford River Rouge Model T. Ford, though, dealt with pure scale economy. Tesla, by contrast, does it by having the capacity to make dozens of change order a day.

True continuous improvement generates significant differences from day to day. That flexibility is vastly different and more complex than conventional scale economy.

I’ve been under the impression each release goes out with people having various settings under the hood being different and tesla remotely adjusts those as time goes on based on fleet performance.

At least I thought that’s the conclusion everyone came to when one release seemed to perform different not just across cars but some people noticed improvements in their car over time in one release.

Firmware can't be "adjusted" without a full update (Green goes into some detail why a few places, but short version is for security reasons nothing survives a reboot other than the hash-checked full firmware blob).

MAPS can be adjusted outside of firmware updates though, which is usually the reason for folks thinking the same version of SW got better.

(plus of course the system is better in some places than others due to the overfitting of data collection in some areas which also makes peoples experiences differ even on identical versions of both SW and maps)

"don't fight the fed" ... use it as a buying opportunity for TSLA chairs.
Ya, seems like TSLA is getting dragged down same as F and GM but other staple stocks are only down <2%. Seems biased and an opportunity considering, in reality it's still just fine for Tesla, all systems go! Tempting.... maybe just a little bite ;)

It is known that there are a whole bunch of configuration vales, that may be used to turn features on and off, GreenTheOnly published them on twitter six months ago. How, and even if they are used in customer builds is not known.

Several people reported dramatic improvement after a couple of weeks usage, particularly about six months ago. The reason is not known, but variously suspected to be just getting used to FSD quirks, cleaning of lenses, calibration of the vision system after some miles of usage, or map updates.

At one time it was suspected that some local learning was taking place, but that does not seem to be the case.

10.69.2 is known to be overly sensitive to pedestrians, Elon's comments could be taken as implying that the sensitivity could be dialled back in future without a version update.

It is known that there are a whole bunch of configuration vales, that may be used to turn features on and off, GreenTheOnly published them on twitter six months ago. How, and even if they are used in customer builds is not known.

Several people reported dramatic improvement after a couple of weeks usage, particularly about six months ago. The reason is not known, but variously suspected to be just getting used to FSD quirks, cleaning of lenses, calibration of the vision system after some miles of usage, or map updates.

At one time it was suspected that some local learning was taking place, but that does not seem to be the case.

10.69.2 is known to be overly sensitive to pedestrians, Elon's comments could be taken as implying that the sensitivity could be dialled back in future without a version update.
so as a user the only thing i can proactively do is clean camera glass and use FSD beta more often ... nothing for me to calibrate as a user .... sorry for OT but i get quicker answers on Investment thread

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed