Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been a lot of comments about the increasing price of FSD mostly they refer to reducing take rate or FSD’s increasing value. My doofus view is that Tesla is piling up cash to refit all cars sold with FSD with the hardware that will actually be needed for it to work. My car was sold to me with the commitment to upgrade any equipment if necessary for true FSD. We have seen hardware 2 1/2 cars getting upgraded computers. We also know hardware 4 computers are under development, and I wouldn’t be surprised if hardware 5 is being blue skyed. Cameras with higher resolution and contrast are needed to see further down the road. Also, there is at least one problem unsolvable with the current camera suite, passing on a two lane road. Too much car has to be exposed when peeking, with centerline cameras. A camera in the drivers side mirror would probably be best. I think Tesla will have to replace all cameras and computers and probably add at least one camera on all FSD cars that are sold under this commitment. Either that or I will be a party to a record class action suit. Your opinion may differ.

FYI, I feel the same in regards to the reason to raise FSD prices. I think it's just compute though, since if you've done any AI image processing, the first thing that typically gets done is to lower the resolution, so I think the cameras are good enough (unless you're talking about updating the front fender camera for a wider angle).

I’ve been actively using supercharger.info for 4 years and MarcoRPTesla is the gold standard for information and accuracy. I’d rate this as being correct at 95%+. He recently dropped his TMC account but his Twitter account has posted this follow up information. I’m not on Twitter but if someone who is would repost what ever follow up he has this week, that would be great. View attachment 851683
Hmm... Ok. As has been posted, if the claim these are v4 Superchargers was based on the drawing notes, then there's not any reason to give that much credence.

If there's some other unreleased data, I'll be interested in seeing what that may be....

I'm genuinely surprised inflation numbers came in higher than expectations and core (sticky) CPI is going ham, we're going to see an even more hawkish central bank looking to get inflation expectations back under control.

How new vehicle prices are shooting up so intensely after all this, I don't even know. Interest rates are surely going significantly higher.

Houseing a 1/3 of the CPI, and the way they calculate it makes it very slow to change.

Reactions: UltradoomY
U.S. SEC charges Oppenheimer, BNY, Jefferies and TD over municipal bond disclosures | REUTERS (25 min ago)

Ha, TD sent me a letter recently saying they would close my Bond account due to non activity (for about 5 yrs, lol). Some cleanup perhaps, seems TD was among those who settled.

U.S. SEC charges Oppenheimer, BNY, Jefferies and TD over municipal bond disclosures | REUTERS (25 min ago)

The price of doing business thievery. Incoming slap on the wrist and baby fine.

If this is an issue (and I have no opinion if that is so) then cameras will be needed in both side mirrors (or some other place, but on both sides). Quite a lot of cars drive across borders between LHD/RHD in Europe. However this likely won't be much of a retrofit liability (as FSD not sold here AFAIK) .
I think the easiest retrofit/improvement would be an additional side/forward facing camera on the repeater mount. This high res dual camera could plug into existing body hole and loom with signal multiplexing through the one cable. The fact that they are fusing to single views probably makes the analysis adaptation easier. A cleaning mechanism would not go amiss either.

How new vehicle prices are shooting up so intensely after all this, I don't even know. Interest rates are surely going significantly higher.

Well... manufacturers moving to EVs which are at this point still generally more expensive (I've heard +$10K comparing like models, not to mention Tesla sells a lot of EVs that are above the average cost)... also manufacturers quitting cheap compacts and sedans with poor profit margins in favor of pickups and large SUVs to pad their bottom line... May be pricing a certain segment of the population out of the new car market but nobody (in the US market anyway) is looking to cater to them right now. "Let them eat cake buy used!"

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Market overreacting to CPI numbers. The real news is Ukraine blitzkrieging the Ruskies out of their country. Shouldn't take the market too long to digest that.

Ukraine pushing Russia out might actually be bad for the markets... Don't take that the wrong way, it is VERY good for humanity and the world that Ukraine has turned the tide. Russia just has more of a reason to act out very aggressively against the west. More drama around energy is likely to happen very soon.

An article and a 22-tweet thread summarizing Tesla’s plans for the next 5 years as presented by Martin Viecha during the Goldman Sachs tech conference.

In summary: every point has already been discussed here at length as far as I can tell.

I am very surprised he said, none of the cost reductions came from cell costs. Which I thought was odd. Cell costs have decreased significantly in the last 8 years and that should have had a good positive impact on car cost, I would think.