Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT: Lucid talking crap about the Plaid motors around the 43 minute mark. Start watching at around 39 minutes:

"Do you remember how I drove the whole team nuts getting them this short, do you remember?" Yes, says the other guy, I totally do.
Because, as you can see in this non-rehearsed video, Peter is just like Elon Musk, only better.

Man, I cant agree with Trevor Milton comparisons, thats a different story. But if I wanted to convince people that I had nothing at all to do with the engineering in the car, this is the video I'd record.

"Do you remember how I drove the whole team nuts getting them this short, do you remember?" Yes, says the other guy, I totally do.
Because, as you can see in this non-rehearsed video, Peter is just like Elon Musk, only better.

Man, I cant agree with Trevor Milton comparisons, thats a different story. But if I wanted to convince people that I had nothing at all to do with the engineering in the car, this is the video I'd record.
I don’t get why you punish yourselves watching this tripe. I made the mistake of listening to one Lucid earnings call and came away with a deep loathing for the CEO and the whole company. I get why some people are fooled by him, but I cannot stand listening to him just makes me want to shower again.

An old colleague described something he called the "Do-er/Schmoozer" scale. People exists somewhere in this graph where some don't really "do" anything, but are great at schmoozing others, and some are the opposite. Of course many people are somwhere in the middle.

Peter's words are all very well crafted and rehearsed, so much so that it comes across as fake. Guess who the other dot is intended to represent? ;)
View attachment 852104
You really think Elon would have hired a "schmoozer" in 2010 as the "Vice President and Chief Vehicle Engineer" for creating the Model S? And kept him around for a year and a half? That would have been a serious failure on Elon's part.

Arriving:
Leaving:

An old colleague described something he called the "Do-er/Schmoozer" scale. People exists somewhere in this graph where some don't really "do" anything, but are great at schmoozing others, and some are the opposite. Of course many people are somwhere in the middle.

Peter's words are all very well crafted and rehearsed, so much so that it comes across as fake. Guess who the other dot is intended to represent? ;)
View attachment 852104
It kind of fits considering the market they are pandering to.

I'm sure someone here can look it up quickly, but I don't recall a recent 1200 pt drop in the DOW. I remember several ~1000, but not 1200. And 600 on the NASDAQ. Brutal.
A pretty drastic overreaction. All the CPI data did was insure .75 point rake hike instead of the possibility of a .50 rate hike.

The market at this point has more than fully priced in the Fed rate hitting 4%. I guess if you're thinking the upcoming recession is a sure thing AND will be as bad as the financial crisis, then sure.....this a warranted drop.

One thing to note on some of the trading I'm seeing. The sell off seem to be hitting "safe" or value stocks just as much as growth stocks. Meanwhile, a lot of growth stocks are actually holding their own as the sell off has steepened in the past couple of hours. Growth stocks essentially hit their bottom within the first couple of hours and have either gained back some of that or at least haven't sold off any further.

But really, for us TSLA investors, it's just about TSLA keeping it's head above water until Q3 numbers are out which I think will set a hard floor for the stock.

You really think Elon would have hired a "schmoozer" in 2010 as the "Vice President and Chief Vehicle Engineer" for creating the Model S? And kept him around for a year and a half? That would have been a serious failure on Elon's part.
I think Elon can be fooled just like everyone else.

Dude was only there a year and half not exactly a long timer even on Tesla's fairly short employee burn through cycle.

Arriving:
Leaving:
I can't see Elon hiring anyone who focuses on flowery language in such a slow cadence. Maybe he is capable but decided it would be easier to sit back and collect stock options? He seems fake.

Side note, Elon disputes Peter's actual impact to the project.

Nasdaq ended up having the 11,600 test. Tomorrow will likely try to test the support here and lower into the 11.5s. Support and a push up would be a nice sign going into next week. Doesn't feel like it, but Tesla had a relatively strong day.
Even I don't deny that TSLA showed a ton of strength today.

The question is, is it because of options/MM influence or genuine buying as we're nearing Q3 P/D numbers.

Even I don't deny that TSLA showed a ton of strength today.

The question is, is it because of options/MM influence or genuine buying as we're nearing Q3 P/D numbers.
Likely a mixture of both... in the end, cash flow is going to be king over the next 6-9 months of earnings. TSLA clearly has strong cash flow and is likely to maintain growth in a tough market. For the growth investors, TSLA offers some safety.

OT: Lucid talking crap about the Plaid motors around the 43 minute mark. Start watching at around 39 minutes:

Both Musk and Rawlinson aren’t wrong. Rawlinson appreciates great design engineering and frankly, he‘s a bit insufferable about it. But he is right that Tesla frequently doesn’t have the best engineering designs. For instance, their battery pack cooling was never great and is what limited initial Model S cars from being able to race on the track.

On the other hand, what Elon rightly values is efficient manufacturing design. Lucid is in a pickle because they can’t ramp manufacturing. That’s the painful lesson Tesla learned first with the Model S ramp, and then even more so with the Model 3 ramp. Beautiful engineering designs that are oh so efficient aren’t worth crap if you can’t cheaply make them at high volume.

In that video (thanks), Rawlinson scoffs at the string that is used to tie the motor wire bundles. But that string bundled wire is manufactured at very high speed using a machine that Tesla developed back in 2012 or so. It obviously works, so no need to change it.

Until Lucid can prove it can manufacture at scale cheaply, they really don’t have much of a leg to stand on.

Both Musk and Rawlinson aren’t wrong. Rawlinson appreciates great design engineering and frankly, he‘s a bit insufferable about it. But he is right that Tesla frequently doesn’t have the best engineering designs. For instance, their battery pack cooling was never great and is what limited initial Model S cars from being able to race on the track.

On the other hand, what Elon rightly values is efficient manufacturing design. Lucid is in a pickle because they can’t ramp manufacturing. That’s the painful lesson Tesla learned first with the Model S ramp, and then even more so with the Model 3 ramp. Beautiful engineering designs that are oh so efficient aren’t worth crap if you can’t cheaply make them at high volume.

In that video (thanks), Rawlinson scoffs at the string that is used to tie the motor wire bundles. But that string bundled wire is manufactured at very high speed using a machine that Tesla developed back in 2012 or so. It obviously works, so no need to change it.

Until Lucid can prove it can manufacture at scale cheaply, they really don’t have much of a leg to stand on.
That's a bogus point imo regarding the cooling. Race cars are race cars. Street/production cars are production cars. They require two very different requirements. And on the point of cooling for the track, look at the Porsche Taycan which was specifically designed to be able to handle track use, specifically a lap of the Ring (or 13mins roughly). In reality a lower end M3P will out run a Taycan because it's cooling system is gobs better than the Taycan. You can see the results of the All Japan EV Grand Prix, once the Taycan overheated it throttled to hell and even the stock Model 3's passed the Taycan. Anyways my point is Tesla's cooling is pretty good and more than capable for its intended use.

Tesla has also switched to hairpin windings in motors made in China. Maybe Berlin and Texas as well. That will eventually come to GigaNevada.