Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PG&E...the same guys that run Diablo Canyon nuke plant. This is like the 3rd fire at Moss Landing in a year. Last fire was due to failed bearings in an air handling unit. Either low bidder garbage was installed, or they really need to step up their preventative maintenance.
Two fires (including the fan one) were at the Vistra section, not PG&E. Vistra has said this event is not in their portion.
The world’s largest lithium ion battery is down, again

What makes you think that it is the Tesla portion of the Moss landing energy storage facility? As I recall the last two fires there were in the non-Tesla portion of the energy storage facility.

PG&E...the same guys that run Diablo Canyon nuke plant. This is like the 3rd fire at Moss Landing in a year. Last fire was due to failed bearings in an air handling unit. Either low bidder garbage was installed, or they really need to step up their preventative maintenance.
Yep, and as I recall the first two fires were not Tesla related.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: CLK350 and wtlloyd
1663689225190.png

1663689679072.png

What makes you think that it is the Tesla portion of the Moss landing energy storage facility? As I recall the last two fires there were in the non-Tesla portion of the energy storage facility.

Yep, and as I recall the first two fires were not Tesla related.
Because the article states : "A Vistra Corp. spokesperson said their equipment is safe and was not impacted by the fire. The spokesperson said they are aware of a fire at the PG&E Elkhorn Battery facility, which is adjacent to their property."

Possibly PG&E equipment vs Megapacks.

For over a year now, there's been a chorus proclaiming how inexact the safety score is for predicting driver behavior. Now it's improved?
Largely agree. Maybe a better way of putting it is 60,000 drivers who care a whole lot less about getting FSD is a better way of putting it.

Just 60,000 *new* drivers by itself is a big deal. Easily the biggest infusion of new blood in the pool yet.

Is this for sure that the can recognize more deferred revenue because of this?

My impression all along is they recognize no revenue until released and additional revenue as features are improved upon. So adding users ads revenue and profits.

• Informative
Reactions: Baumisch and Ogre
Oh my, share price showing some strength today. Could it be the FSD release is contributing?

Well its possible, but it'd be a first. ;)

More likely, Mr. Market understands that rising interest rates hurt Tesla's debt-laden competitors, but not Tesla which (thanks to Elon's foresight) has effectively zero debt (they actually have interest income).

Further, we here at TMC understand (while Mr. Market may not), that tightening interest rates will choke off $$$ for the low-end car loans popular with the competition, while Tesla's premium brand and strong order book means the good times just keep on rolling.

I'm thinking of a certain shrimp boat captain after the hurricane... GUMP! ;)

Gump-Fortune-Pic-Capture-1-2.png

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
My impression all along is they recognize no revenue until released and additional revenue as features are improved upon. So adding users ads revenue and profits.
But they haven't recognized any revenue from giving it to 100k testers so far. Why would giving it to ~60k more result in any recognition? And they said that they wouldn't until it is available to everyone in a given region that has the hardware and has paid for it. So all of those articles are likely wrong. I expect zero extra revenue recognition in Q3.

From the 2021 Q3 call:

Zach Kirkhorn -- Chief Financial Officer

On your second question about the criteria to release deferred revenue, the way that this works is we have made certain commitments as to what this product can offer at the time that a customer has purchased that. And so what we have to assess is, have we met those commitments? And is the software widely available to folks that we've made those commitments to within a certain geography? And, you know, given that FSD is still currently in the beta phase, it's invitation-only and it's limited, we have not deemed that to be appropriate for recognition of deferred revenue. And we'll continue to evolve this.

So let's check the conditions:
  • Still in beta? Yes.
  • Still invitation only? Sounds like not really.
  • Still limited? Yes. (Still restricted based on opting in to Safety Score and earning a score of 80+.)
So it seems to me like they still won't recognize it. But there is some wiggle room there.

Last edited:
Threat, risk, vulnerability, call it what you want.

Remind yourself what happened at 10 pm on Sat, Apr 17, 2021 in Spring, TX last year when a drunk driver decided to take his 'definately 100% self-driving' car for a hoon down the block (and ended up in a tree).

No, not what happened to the driver or his victim friend passenger, to the SP. Remember what the County Constable said within hours of the accident? Remember then how many months it took to get the bloodwork back from the lab proving the driver was impaired? (yeah, it was Sep 2021). Do you remember when the NHTSB announced that there was a driver behind the wheel before the crash, and the car was NOT on autopilot? Yeah, that came out on Oct 21, 2021 (6 months later). Damage done.

Do you remember ever hearing an apology, or an admission of error, from that Constable? Or any retraction in the Media? I'm still waiting (for something which will never come).

So yes, 'threat' is an apt descriptor when this is our history given NO INVOLVMENT of FSD, only the INUENDO of a politically elected officer and the gleeful way in which the Press picked up the false story.

Mark my words. Or ask the cat.
All i remember is that the fire dept said it took 36,000 gallons of water to put out the tesla fire.

But they haven't recognized any revenue from giving it to 100k testers so far. Why would giving it to ~60k result in any recognition? And they said that they wouldn't until it is available to everyone in a given region that has the hardware and has paid for it. So all of those articles are likely wrong. I expect zero extra revenue recognition in Q3.

From the 2021 Q3 call:

So let's check the conditions:
  • Still in beta? Yes.
  • Still invitation only? Sounds like not really.
  • Still limited? Yes. (Still restricted based on opting in to Safety Score and earning a score of 80+.)
So it seems to me like they still won't recognize it. But there is some wiggle room there.
Revenue won't be realized but increasing number of testers to the beta program bings exponentially more data. Data in of itself has value with regards to the development of the program. The secondary value is that FSD is designed to be 2x better (or more) than a human driver which translates to fewer accidents or decreased severity and consequent decreasing insurance claims. If analysts fail to realize the value of the data, then they will be missing out on the FSD software and hardware paradigm that is coming. This moment is like a pivot shift for tesla, such as with apple-- not a phone company but a monthly service, or amazon from books and doodads to AWS servers.

A fire at Elkhorn Battery was first reported to the North Monterey County Fire Protection District District around 2am Tuesday morning. Chief Joel Mendoza reports that firefighters first to the scene found a battery pack on fire. Fortunately, he adds, it burned quickly and relatively cleanly.

"The thing about these batteries is they burn for days, sometimes," Mendoza says. "In this particular case it burned rather quickly, in six hours or so."

As of about 9am, Mendoza adds, "We don't have any flame coming out of it. We're going to continue to see smoke; it's white smoke, not black dirty smoke."

A fire at Elkhorn Battery was first reported to the North Monterey County Fire Protection District District around 2am Tuesday morning. Chief Joel Mendoza reports that firefighters first to the scene found a battery pack on fire. Fortunately, he adds, it burned quickly and relatively cleanly.

"The thing about these batteries is they burn for days, sometimes," Mendoza says. "In this particular case it burned rather quickly, in six hours or so."

As of about 9am, Mendoza adds, "We don't have any flame coming out of it. We're going to continue to see smoke; it's white smoke, not black dirty smoke."
But how many gallons man....HOW MANY GALLONS!

And was it on AP??

Moving right along...

"In their statement, the fire did start in one of the Tesla megapacks at their Elkhorn Battery Storage facility. PG&E said they are working with firefighters to stop the spread of the fire. The safety system at the facility automatically disconnected the battery storage facility from the grid. There are no reported injuries and there have been no power outages as a result of this fire."