Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone say, 'S-curve'?

WSJ: (subscription required):
Electric Vehicles Took Off. Car Makers Weren’t Ready

• Long backlogs for EVs
  • "A few years ago, auto executives weren't sure there would be enough buyers for plug-in electric models. Now, they worry they can't build them fast enough, while they intensify a multibillion-dollar rush to accelerate timelines and bring factories online"
  • EVs account for only about 6% of overall US vehicle sales. That percentage has tripled in the last two years, while sales of other types of vehicles has declined"
  • In July, 5 of the six fastest selling vehicles in the US were electrics of PHEVs.
  • Inflation reduction act has stoked consumer demand.
  • Executives from GM, Ford and VH have all said that they believe they can pass Tesla.
  • Auto makers have found themselves hampered by insufficient supplies of critical parts, such as computer chips.
  • Batteries are another bottleneck. Locking in contracts for battery cells on short notice from among a handful of global cell manufacturers presents a big challenge.
  • GM Hummer and Lyriq are being produced at rates of less than a dozen a day, despite waiting lists of tens of thousands. Output is being constrained by battery supplies.
  • Some executives from traditional car companies acknowledge they were too cautious on their early plans for electrics.
  • Parts shortages at Rivian
  • Lucid having problems securing parts that are normally in ample supply, such as carpet and glass.
  • "Battery arms race". Chasing Tesla which has spent more than a decade developing a battery supply chain.
  • Ford's Farley: Only half of the battery raw materials the auto industry needs to achieve its long-range EV sales targets are available today.
  • Richard Sowden, principal at Frontier Investment Management Co, which owns about 2.8 million GM shares" "We believe that the manufacturing expertise of existing large auto companies like GM gives them a huge advantage"
Thank you Alphacrux for posting this. I found it very interesting and telling that the Toyota dealer in Florida drives an S Plaid! I wonder how many at non-Tesla manufacturers also drive Teslas?

Tesla absolutely should fire anyone for doing things like these women have claimed. Tesla HR, management, and yes Elon have also clearly dropped the ball and will have to work very hard to overcompensate the other direction to fix this perception.
Well, we're certainly agreed on what should be done. But the chance of it being done without Elon taking charge and insisting is just about zero. And do you think there's any chance of that?

And my experience with HR is that their primary job is to protect management and avoid lawsuits, not protect employees from mistreatment. I have never seen a complaining employee treated as anything but a problem to be eliminated as quickly and quietly as possible. I have met only one HR person with any authority in my career who had any integrity at all.

The real question is who in their right mind would rent a bolt?
Are they doing the Uber rental thing like they did with the Teslas?

I expect a lot of Uber drivers would be fine driving a Bolt and saving $300/ month on car payments if they get paid the same as driving a Tesla. If you are 20 years old and this is your jobby job, that is likely a decent pay raise. (Invest the difference in TSLA FTW!)

Likewise I can see a lot of companies forcing employees into a Bolt versus a Model 3 if the rental is a lot less expensive. Corporate bean counters can be downright nasty when it comes to rental cars. Heck, if I got paid per diem on a road trip I might be tempted to go the Bolt route to spend the difference on better meals if I wasn't doing a ton of driving!

The real question is who in their right mind would rent a bolt?
Rental of EVs is still a bit of time to become mainstream. People on vacation renting a car are likely going to drive more than usual (greater than 300 miles), so there really needs to be hotel/destination charging to make this a regular rental option.

Come on StarFox, we need your mojo! The mood here was a bit too jubilant around noon time.
Legitimately I don't know how anyone can be upset with the performance over the last month plus. Market has decided to test lows of May and July (sans a day or two) with threats of June... and Tesla is pretty much at its high for the last few months. Basically at the level of the full breakdown point of May 5th.

If the macro shows really any sign of getting going... Tesla will take off.

Come on StarFox, we need your mojo! The mood here was a bit too jubilant around noon time.
Eh the stock is doing fine in the face of some nasty macro action. However, I do think at some point over the next 2 weeks, we'll have a period of significant underperformance. You know Wall St isn't going to let TSLA outperform like this all the way to P/D numbers and especially not Q3 earnings.

Eh the stock is doing fine in the face of some nasty macro action. However, I do think at some point over the next 2 weeks, we'll have a period of significant underperformance. You know Wall St isn't going to let TSLA outperform like this all the way to P/D numbers and especially not Q3 earnings.
If you are a believer in trends and history repeating... this same thing happened last September.

Rental of EVs is still a bit of time to become mainstream. People on vacation renting a car are likely going to drive more than usual (greater than 300 miles), so there really needs to be hotel/destination charging to make this a regular rental option.
I just had an Uber ride in a Model 3 a few weeks back. $500/week, and he said he could cover that after just 2 days driving. However, his collegues at the Airport hangout don't see how he can make the numbers work, so they flock to the lower cost vehicles including Hybrids.

Besides being a lower cost solution, this GM deal may indicate that EV fleet deals are in demand just as vehicles are on the street. If Hertz can't fill demand at the lower price point, they'll secure what they can and hope for the best?

But... that seems to be betting against FSD several years out? So we're right back to "Who would rent a Bolt?" eventually.

If you are a believer in trends and history repeating... this same thing happened last September.
Yup, I believe I had a back n forth with someone here about TSLA being stuck in neutral for an extended period (as in a year +), to which I replied that the stock is actually being set up very similar to last year and that I could see the same exact breakout that we saw last year after Q3 earnings.
Well it certainly isn't going well right now! What the heck caused that drop? Hopefully not the RS hit piece (and it certainly was a hit piece, even if there are some grains of truth in it)
Macro's took the stock down. The drop for TSLA pretty accurately matches the Nasdaq drop.

Well it certainly isn't going well right now! What the heck caused that drop? Hopefully not the RS hit piece (and it certainly was a hit piece, even if there are some grains of truth in it)
Considering the Nasdaq is down 1.5% and SP500 is 1.7%... Tesla is holding up well. Not holding up well would be a 3% drop today.

Tesla absolutely should fire anyone for doing things like these women have claimed. Tesla HR, management, and yes Elon have also clearly dropped the ball and will have to work very hard to overcompensate the other direction to fix this perception.

And my experience with HR is that their primary job is to protect management and avoid lawsuits, not protect employees from mistreatment. I have never seen a complaining employee treated as anything but a problem to be eliminated as quickly and quietly as possible. I have met only one HR person with any authority in my career who had any integrity at all.

FWIW one of the really interesting items in the CA lawsuit against Tesla regarding employee harassment was the revelation that Tesla HR is hilariously understaffed

Like the HR worker to employee ratio is 10x worse than comparable large companies...and what few HR people they have are massively overworked such that they were perpetually missing state and federal deadlines for required response and reporting.

Much like service it's an area where Tesla has gotten away for years massively underinvested in hiring anywhere near enough people.

Which was probably still financially pretty smart in 2018. Today this would be couch cushion money to the cash flow so really ought to have been fixed by now.

Yup, I believe I had a back n forth with someone here about TSLA being stuck in neutral for an extended period (as in a year +), to which I replied that the stock is actually being set up very similar to last year and that I could see the same exact breakout that we saw last year after Q3 earnings.

Macro's took the stock down. The drop for TSLA pretty accurately matches the Nasdaq drop.

It was running up into earnings last year and then earning blew the lid completely off. This really looks like the market pushing to another blowout quarter by Tesla. Writing is on the wall that record deliveries and profits are coming, just a matter of how much is the record broken by... into the headwinds of recession where everyone is compressing. Pretty solid area to place bets.

Disagree. It adds a ton of irrelevant details to make Tesla and Musk look bad. The title alone is insane.

Agree, it obviously stiches things together with tenuous, if any, real connection in order to paint a picture that is probably not representative of the message conveyed by management to employees about what is expected of them.

OK, then, it sounds like you are saying the hit piece worked on you.

It would be correct to fire anyone with a history of harassment that was supported by multiple observations. However, I would hesitate to fire even a minor employee because someone claimed they said something that was denied by the accused and without other witnesses or any recording or other evidence.

Lucid and Rivian down 4% in the wake of Ford now down an astonishing 12.5%.

With a PE below 4.5 and dividend around 4.5%.....I guess the market is really spelling out doom here for F.

TSLA meanwhile is fighting of an MMD and about to tip back to green at $309.

If this is how the market is gonna treat F, don't be surprised when TSLA crosses $500 in the near term.

Lucid and Rivian down 4% in the wake of Ford now down an astonishing 12.5%.

With a PE below 4.5 and dividend around 4.5%.....I guess the market is really spelling out doom here for F.

TSLA meanwhile is fighting of an MMD and about to tip back to green at $309.

If this is how the market is gonna treat F, don't be surprised when TSLA crosses $500 in the near term.
What Ford guided really isn't in line with a 12.5% drop.. market going a bit bonkers there. Not a company I'd invest in, but events like that get my trading account's ears.