Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With respect to bad journalism and Robert Reich, I'll leave some wisdom from James Clear:

"...Before you can criticize an idea, you have to reference that idea. You end up repeating the ideas you’re hoping people will forget..."

I don't hope people will forget it. I hope everyone will remember that Robert Reich spews lies, and never trust him again.

"...In a 2015 study, researchers discovered that familiarity can overpower rationality and that repetitively refuting that a certain statement is wrong can paradoxically affect the hearer's beliefs.[4]..."

I doubt this is true for most people. As a Psychology co-major in college, I discovered that most Psychology research is trash, which draws overreaching conclusions based on highly artificial experiments (usually questionnaires).

Unscientific anecdotal counterexample to the claim: You can tell me the Earth is flat all day long, and it won't affect my beliefs, except about you.

(However, I might be more rational than average. My other major was Physics.)

What part of what he posted isn’t factual?
Are you a living meme? I’ve never met a real live meme before.
Errol is eccentric, as is Elon. The truth is likely somewhere inbetween. However Elon recounting a private plane flight doesn't exactly scream poverty. I'm sure Elon would admit he had an upper middle class childhood for the most part.
You can look up the NYT article from earlier this year that was clearly intended to be a hit piece on Elon. They sent journalists to his home town. What did they find? Well, that Elon is who the (smarter people here) already believed him to be.

Stood up for blacks (in apartheid South Africa!!!), attended a black classmate’s funeral (paraphrasing but “it was highly unusual for a white person to attend a black person’s funeral. Elon attended”).

What PRIVILEGE he had. Surely all of apartheid South Africa was behind him for going against their racism!

Sometimes, on rare occasion, great people come along that are so unlikely to be real that even smart people can’t believe it’s true, despite the evidence.

I am still trying to convince my wife of this.

CCS1 adapter available in Tesla Store

D8C30BBD-F496-46CA-9F64-EFDC8F305C9E.jpeg

At least for my M3, looks like a mod is required.

72FF90C5-CF17-427A-8D54-190A03C35239.jpeg

You think all of South Africa had any idea that a teenager went to a funeral? What are you smoking? And what does any of that have to do with the financial situation of his family when living there?

Brother, what does your nitpicking about "the financial situation of his family when living there" have to do with anything? Elon's parents didn't finance his start in business as Reich suggested.

You think all of South Africa had any idea that a teenager went to a funeral? What are you smoking? And what does any of that have to do with the financial situation of his family when living there?
It’s about the totality of his circumstances that he was born into and how he chose to react to it all.

All of his classmates knew about it and how he stood up to his peers who everyone with a functioning moral compass alive today would agree were in the wrong. Not to judge children for the errors of their parents…

His family’s wealth has been exaggerated. Standing up to racist bullies in a racist government as a BIG NERD does not convey the benefits you seem to imply.

He had it better than others. Compared to the others in his similar socioeconomic position, it seems likely he was way worse off, due to his morals.

This discussion gets more and more boring every year I’ve been alive. Did he have it better than others? Surely. He also had it waaay worse than many.

Brother, what does your nitpicking about "the financial situation of his family when living there" have to do with anything? Elon's parents didn't finance his start in business as Reich suggested.
You were the one who incorrectly stated that Elon didn't come from wealth when he clearly did. I never said his parents financed his start in business.

You were the one who incorrectly stated that Elon didn't come from wealth when he clearly did. I never said his parents financed his start in business.
If I were a mod I would write in green, "This ends now" or "Take it to another thread" or something else like that.

But I'm not, so I'll just continue scrolling...