Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLA bottom? Still guessing a dip maybe into the high 250's before this is over - with a mid-week head-fake dipping below the 3-year support just before earnings are released..........at which point we blow through the 1-year resistance line. All those who helped manipulate the stock above the 1-year resistance line and then back into the wedge with the help of Mr. Powell earlier this week will be rewarded with an extra 20% on the way back up. Note that we will comfortably close the week back in the wedge, and the 1 year chart will reflect that end-of-week close going forward. Seeing the care bears show up this week along with a ramped up FUD effort that includes major 'news' distributions like The Guardian and Forbes really starts to stink of the half dozen times this has played out similarly in the past with TSLA. This is not an advice.

View attachment 856093
If macros fall through their June lows, this is definitely happening.

• Helpful
Reactions: Paracelsus
Lol....just flipped on Bloomberg to a live shot from London outside Parliament. Some random guy in the background clear as day yells out, "F*** the Tories!"

Hilarious. Total trainwreck in the UK.

GBP down to $1.0925

Londoners making over £1M/yr get a £40k tax cut under this new proposed budget. Those making £150k or more cuts a modest tax cut. Everyone else......safety net cuts & get back to work.
The £/$ is so bad today I am almost at a gain for the day!

The challenge is the macro environment and potential damping of demand across consumers, globally (with higher prices, higher rates, lower growth).
Nope.... I don't think Tesla will have a "demand" problem for the foreseeable future. There is just too much pent-up demand.

The global demand has just barely been touched.

Honestly I'm surprised we haven't seen it already. He's taking his time with it, so I really have no idea if we'll even see it this year anymore.
The IRA was passed quickly and unexpectedly. Even more, the contents of the bill were unexpected as well.

I wonder if that caused some reevaluation of master plan 3. I think it might have caused Elon to think more seriously about getting into raw materials processing in a big way.

You should have waited. Usually when TSLA gets targeted like this, it last for many more days, especially on days when the macros rally. Combined with Tesla now completely losing the uptrend line, I expect to see a lot of continued weakness that will negate a lot of the strength the stock has shown. I’d venture to say that unless P/D numbers come in much better than expected, the impending rally has been pushed back to Q3 earnings

I've never been good at timing the market. I'm very happy with the price at which I purchased these and the time-horizon for them. If I missed a little change, so be it.

There is also a mini-budget in the UK today. Mini in name, but with larger spending increases and tax reduction changes than most full budgets.

Actually not a mini-budget, it is called a fiscal statement, as they don't want the Office of Budget Responsibility giving their opinion (which is likely to be damming).

It is supposed to be all about growth, but the measures leaked will only have a marginal effect on growth IMHO.

Tesla were right to rule out Britain for a gigafactory, long term prospects for the economy look bleak.

So, the mini-budget was worse than I feared. The fall in the pound and increase in guilt yields shows that the market agrees with me.

Only the top 20% are better off, with most of the increase going to the top 5%. The bottom half will be worse off, as limited tax reductions are more than offset by increased cost of imported goods (including food), higher mortgage/rent costs and wages falling further behind inflation. This is a bet on trickle down economics to increase growth - that hasn't worked in the past when tried, so is unlikely to work now.

Inflation is likely to be higher for longer, so the Bank of England is expected to raise interest rates more agressively. This is more than likely to deepen and lengthen the recession the UK is already in. High interest rates are forecast to cause a slump in the housing market, some say be 30%. A gradual reduction in housing costs is probably good, but a fast reduction is likely to be very bad for the economy.

The UK is behaving a bit like an emerging market turning itself into a submerging market

For Tesla in the UK, the fall in the pound will inevitably cause price rises (in pounds), however the top 5% who have benefitted from this budget are those who are most likely to buy a Tesla, and they have benefitted more than the likely price rise. This should cause a small increase in demand for Teslas, especially S and X which are bought by the 1% who have benefitted even more.

How could you know you missed the bottom?? It's only 10:54.

I've been idioticaly lowering my bids for jan 2025 300's since opening today... Haven't got any yet, but if SP drops a bit... Not that I'm rooting for that.

I like Jan 2025's. Lots of time for things to recover if something did go wrong.

Because the orders filled, and the price still kept going lower?

Nice to see MM's walking TSLA up for a change! Or at least allowing and supporting modest dip buying pressure.

Max pain was like $297 at open, but is likely around $291 by now. I assume they'll settle for $281 to keep the $280p spike out of the money.

Minimal effort. Moderate profit. Zero risk. Must be nice!

MM's have a zero problem with a close below max pain today. They are probably still covering to provide shares from rebalancing last week (I think this is what @Papafox said). So if the SP drops, they get to buy and cover this week for a profit.

Because the orders filled, and the price still kept going lower?
You guys can argue about missing the bottom when they've 5x'd by November. I guess theoretically 6x would be nicer.

This year Wall Street has taught me a lesson I'll never forget. Every last drop of cash I have is sitting as margin on my blown up put spreads(BPS). I'll get them expired this year, but have officially missed this golden opportunity.

ALWAYS have cash ready for when there's blood in the streets.

Edit: On rereading this it's not very clear that I'm celebrating TMCer victories here, not hating. Just to clarify. Cheers!

Last edited:
What is your timeframe for ‘the highest energy prices in the world for the foreseeable future’?

Putin succeeded in realising what no European politician has been able to do: instigate a huge carbon-tax.
The European economy in that ‘foreseeable future’ will be driven by the desire to eliminate that carbon tax. Compared to the USA, Europe is already very frugal with energy consumption, and this lead will increase heavily and fast driven by this carbon tax incentive. E.g. some anecdotal evidence in the news of roofers having a 2 year backlog for renovating and isolating roofs.
There’s a huge amount of new wind energy capacity in the pipelines, and there’s a very long backlog for new solar installations.
When this episode of energy shortages is behind us, Europe will be much more competitive (and green!) energy-wise than the USA, just like what happened during the oil crisis in the seventies.

Europe’s renewable resources are greatly inferior to the US. Average US capacity factor for solar is 23% compared with 10-12% for Europe outside of Spain, where it’s ~20%. It also doesn’t help that energy demand is inversely correlated to solar production. In wind, US achieves capacity factors onshore that Europe does offshore, and onshore is about 2x cheaper. Wind is largely inferior overall to solar because of medium-term variability, basing your grid on wind would require a lot more overbuilding and storage than solar.

All in all, you can expect a renewable investment in the US to produce ~double the electricity while requiring less backup and storage than in Europe.

So, the mini-budget was worse than I feared. The fall in the pound and increase in guilt yields shows that the market agrees with me.

Only the top 20% are better off, with most of the increase going to the top 5%. The bottom half will be worse off, as limited tax reductions are more than offset by increased cost of imported goods (including food), higher mortgage/rent costs and wages falling further behind inflation. This is a bet on trickle down economics to increase growth - that hasn't worked in the past when tried, so is unlikely to work now.

Inflation is likely to be higher for longer, so the Bank of England is expected to raise interest rates more agressively. This is more than likely to deepen and lengthen the recession the UK is already in. High interest rates are forecast to cause a slump in the housing market, some say be 30%. A gradual reduction in housing costs is probably good, but a fast reduction is likely to be very bad for the economy.

For Tesla in the UK, the fall in the pound will inevitably cause price rises (in pounds), however the top 5% who have benefitted from this budget are those who are most likely to buy a Tesla, and they have benefitted more than the likely price rise. This should cause a small increase in demand for Teslas, especially S and X which are bought by the 1% who have benefitted even more.

So… Winter of Discontent II: Brexit Boogaloo?
🥸

Are there any mechatronics technicians here looking for a new gig?

Reuters recently reported the company is ramping up ambitious plans to develop the Tesla Bot, also known as Optimus, with internal meetings and hiring for about 20 positions including software and firmware engineers, deep learning scientists, actuator technicians, and internships.

"Tesla is on a path to build humanoid bi-pedal robots at scale to automate repetitive and boring tasks," one job posting for a mechatronics technician stated. "Most importantly, you will see your work repeatedly shipped to and utilized by thousands of Humanoid Robots within our factories."