Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Median forecast (Dot Plot) of the US Fed Officials has us at 4.4% by the end of the year, that's 0.75 and 0.50 in the next two meetings. Right now they have it going to 4.75-5% in 2023 but there is currently little consensus about moves next year.

0.75 is all but locked in for the next meeting unless something really dramatic happens

I don't see why people pay much attention to Troy and his estimates/analysis. For example look at this tweet:

The Model 3 LR would have to have the price dropped by at least $1k, from when it was last offered, so the purchaser can get the $7.5k rebate and that is somehow going to massively improve Tesla's margins? o_O

I don't see why people pay much attention to Troy and his estimates/analysis. For example look at this tweet:

The Model 3 LR would have to have the price dropped by $1k, from when it was last offered, so the purchaser can get the $7.5k rebate and that is somehow going to massively increase Tesla's margins? o_O
Perhaps he means that way more people will order the higher margin cars like the LR 3 and the Y because it comes to price parity of the low margin SR 3. Honestly SR3 may go away if the tax credit is available as people predicted and those batteries may just goes into storage.

The Model 3 LR would have to have the price dropped by at least $1k, from when it was last offered, so the purchaser can get the $7.5k rebate and that is somehow going to massively improve Tesla's margins? o_O

Was saying China demand issue not enough?
Wanna sabotage US Q4 as well?

Perhaps he means that way more people will order the higher margin cars like the LR 3 and the Y because it comes to price parity of the low margin SR 3. Honestly SR3 may go away if the tax credit is available as people predicted and those batteries may just goes into storage.
Is the RWD Model 3 really that low of margin?

And for all Model 3s to qualify that would mean that they need to lower the price of the Model 3 Performance by $11k. ($3k of that to account for color/interior option prices.) Do you really think they are going to drop the price for the Model 3 Performance to $51,990? And then to keep parity between variants they would have to lower the Model 3 LR price to $44,990. And that is going to give Tesla better margins than the Model 3 RWD, that they are currently charging $46,990 for?

Yeah, I don't think so.

But I'm sure people, that would qualify for it, would love to be able to get a Model 3 LR for $39,490.

And for all Model 3s to qualify that would mean that they need to lower the price of the Model 3 Performance by $11k. ($3k of that to account for color/interior option prices.) Do you really think they are going to drop the price for the Model 3 Performance to $51,990? And then to keep parity between variants they would have to lower the Model 3 LR price to $44,990. And that is going to give Tesla better margins than the Model 3 RWD, that they are currently charging $46,990 for?

Yeah, I don't think so.

Only way this would really work for Tesla is if they took down the lines and moved the 3 over to a cast setup like the Y.

MASSIVE undertaking, but long-term would be very profitable by lowering cost of each car 3-7k.

Don't see it happening, simply b/c Tesla can't afford the downtime.

Yeah, I don't think so.
I think what they may try to do is raise Y prices to compensate for the 3 price drops since the Y has way more buffer because of the classification of SUV.

Tesla might do away with the Performance trim model of the 3 altogether. The Y is the highest margin between the 3/Y, it’s actually in Tesla’s interest to drive as much demand to the Y as possible

I am neither buying nor selling...
I am not even amused.
problem gif.gif

I think what they may try to do is raise Y prices to compensate for the 3 price drops since the Y has way more buffer because of the classification of SUV.

Tesla might do away with the Performance trim model of the 3 altogether. The Y is the highest margin between the 3/Y, it’s actually in Tesla’s interest to drive as much demand to the Y as possible
Gee I wonder why EAP cost $7500

Coming standard to all Ys near you(for 7500 dollars more)....lol

Also I see them getting rid of performance and it's purchasable via software update.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Completely macro related, but the "roundtable" discussion going on here is absolutely fascinating:

Companies from all sectors sitting across from J. Powell and other fed members giving reports on their various industries.

FANTASTIC insight into the different forces affecting different sectors.

EDIT - after listening to this, I am 100% convinced that the Fed's goal is really to get the labor market "back in line". That's under the guise of inflation, but I don't think the Fed is going to slow down until the labor market is more relaxed and people are actually looking for work.

We don't even know whether the Y will be classified as a SUV/Truck, an $80k limit on a vehicle the size of a Y seems grossly gratuitous.

The Model Y was below $50k in 2020-2021 before all the price hikes, I think it's possible that small SUVs and crossovers like this will be held to the $55k "Other" category limit and the $80k limit will be for trucks and full-size SUVs with much larger battery packs.

The X and Cybertruck would fit into this category. The Y might, but I'd be a bit surprised when the Y battery pack is the same as the Model 3 and the two vehicles share most of their parts.

EDIT - after listening to this, I am 100% convinced that the Fed's goal is really to get the labor market "back in line". That's under the guise of inflation, but I don't think the Fed is going to slow down until the labor market is more relaxed and people are actually looking for work.
I've thought that for a while. They know that politically they can't come out and say "we want higher unemployment" though so they dance around the issue. They want to see 4% (natural rate).
We don't even know whether the Y will be classified as a SUV/Truck, an $80k limit on a vehicle the size of a Y seems grossly gratuitous.
It is classified as an SUV currently.

The Model Y was below $50k in 2020-2021 before all the price hikes, I think it's possible that small SUVs and crossovers like this will be held to the $55k "Other" category limit and the $80k limit will be for trucks and full-size SUVs with much larger battery packs.

The X and Cybertruck would fit into this category. The Y might, but I'd be a bit surprised when the Y battery pack is the same as the Model 3 and the two vehicles share most of their parts.
Yes we do. Stop repeating this FUD.

The Y is officially classified as a SUV. It always have been. Jesus that FUD won’t stay away, even from a forum as knowledgeable as this

Playing loose with the facts again huh?

View attachment 856163

(They didn't raise the price of EAP when they raised the price of FSD.)
Ah, that's why I thought it was 7500.

Any who, Tesla had a precedent of raising base but giving you software as standard. So I fully expect them to do it again to absorb some of that tax credit margins.

From 2019

“All Tesla vehicles now come with Autopilot bundled as a standard feature for less than the prior cost of the option. For example, Model 3 Standard Plus used to cost $37,500, plus $3,000 for the Autopilot option. It now costs $39,500, with Autopilot included.”

I've thought that for a while. They know that politically they can't come out and say "we want higher unemployment" though so they dance around the issue. They want to see 4% (natural rate).

It is classified as an SUV currently.

You know . . . we have an immigration "problem". We have a labor shortage "problem".

You would think someone in politics would come up with a creative solution. Possibly a "work visa" or something?