Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dont forget the batteries in that car will get more than the $1K or $2K cut in price via the Inflation Reduction Act battery credits. Could also do things like cut the range via software to and allow for you to purchase back via an upgrade purchased thru the app.

Gotta be careful with that. IIRC Tesla sold a version to the Canadian market like this, and to this day they still haven't allowed people to buy to open up the "reserved" capacity.

IIRC there were concerns of "fraud" if they opened it back up.

Almost 2M shares at the closing cross.

Yep, someone was covering shorts.

Just my conspiracy hat on here, but it might be that the adjustments the MMs/hedgies have made in order to short mercilessly and cover without a huge positive effect on SP may have to do with the closing cross. Is there a well-defined list of exactly who can participate in the closing cross?

Lora Kolodny reports: (click for full list)
“Here are the [27 Elon Musk] direct reports we know about as of September 2022. The data was gathered from interviews with current and recent Tesla employees, LinkedIn profiles, internal and public records from Tesla, and may not include all of the people who report to him”

Good to know what is truly important.

78D85712-A25E-45B2-94C9-4D1996DD4EB8.jpeg

good time for Tesla to set up a GF in Britain by converting some US $ ? ;)
As a Brit, I wouldn't consider setting up manufacturing plants here. Many reasons, all practical but several stemming from recent changes which are yet to settle. Infrastructure and trade are sub-optimal at present. Planning / availability of land has always been awful.

Brit with sandwich: "Oh my god"
Netherlands Customs: "Welcome to the Brexit Sir"

Edit: Brexit risks was one of the reasons I looked into foreign (US) stocks and Tesla popped out as the going all-in answer. It may have influenced others too.

Last edited:
Gotta be careful with that. IIRC Tesla sold a version to the Canadian market like this, and to this day they still haven't allowed people to buy to open up the "reserved" capacity.

IIRC there were concerns of "fraud" if they opened it back up.
Yeah I don't know why this would be allowed by the powers that be

The bill is not a profit center for EV makers, it's entirely designed to wrestle control of the battery supply chain from the hands of foreign entities of concern and ensure we're not jeopardizing our future national energy security by switching from OPEC+ control to China+.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chicagoguy
I couldn't find a single competitor to the Y -- in terms of size, # of seats, etc -- that even approaches the $80k limit. It begs asking why these vehicles would be held to such a high limit when the limit would effectively do nothing to constrain the price of these vehicles.
That's weird because I seem to have found several examples easily. Maybe your search engine is broken?
  • Audi e-tron
  • BMW iX
  • Jaguar I-PACE
  • Rivian R1S
  • Ford Mach-E
  • Genesis GV60
  • Volvo C40 Recharge
Also let's bear in mind the legislation does not include any inflation adjustment for the $7500 Clean Vehicle Credit or the vehicle MSRP limits. Plenty more BEV models could catch up to that $80k limit as prices across the board creep up over time.

Even after adding $17k to the 2020-2021 low price for the Model Y LR, going from $48,990 to $65,990, it's not even close to the limit.

Doesn't make sense to me, the Y has the same battery pack as the 3 but is going to be held to a limit $25k higher in legislation built around the battery supply chain?

The law says that the Secretary (of the Treasury) is responsible for regulating vehicle classification "using criteria similar to that employed by the EPA and the DoE".

The EPA currently classifies the Y as an SUV, and likewise also assigns SUV status to hundreds of other similar vehicles (source), so that's a strong indication that the Y will be considered an SUV for the purposes of clean vehicle credit eligibility. I'm not a legal or tax expert but I do know how to read English and this seems pretty straightforward to me.

1663962422210.png

Source

The EPA definitions are in:
US Code Title 40 (Protection of Environment)
—> Chapter I (Environmental Protection Agency)
—> Subpart Q (Energy Policy)
—> Part 600 (Fuel Economy and Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Motor Vehicles)
—>Subpart A (General Provisions)
(link)

1663966105215.png

1663966140220.png

1663966182413.png

1663966544560.png

So what's the problem here? Maybe it's related to this?

There's no doubt that I'm here to be a contrarian voice and that's more pronounced in this thread specifically, less so in other parts of this forum, but the thumbs up below my username suggest some usefulness to the posts.

If you start with motivated reasoning with a goal of dumping cold water on optimism rather than a goal of accurate understanding, it's unsurprising if you end up without an accurate understanding.

Last edited:
There's no doubt that I'm here to be a contrarian voice and that's more pronounced in this thread specifically, less so in other parts of this forum, but the thumbs up below my username suggest some usefulness to the posts.
I'm pretty sure that unlike Reddit the thumbs up "Count" just counts reactions... including the thumbs down icon. So that count doesn't really mean what you think it means.

I haven't seen anyone with a negative score and I'm pretty sure a few people around here would definitely be negative or at least permanently zero.

(Everyone should Thumbs down this post to see if it reduces me below my current total of 17,013...)

Edit: Brexit risks was one of the reasons I looked into foreign (US) stocks and Tesla popped out as the going all-in answer. It may have influenced others too.

Same with me. This is part of a post of mine from 3 years ago (almost to the day).

One reason for buying TSLA is as a hedge against Brexit, if things go really badly (which is a possibility, but not a high one IMO), then the pound might fall a lot in the next few months. More likely is I think a gradual slide, which could be a considerable boost over the decade long expected term of my investment when denominated in pounds.

My argument is not that it won’t happen… it certainly will. My argument is that Europe will still have the highest energy costs when it does because it will take more solar panels, windmills, and batteries to produce the same amount of power than just about every other major economic zone. More than the US, more than China, more than India, Brazil, Africa, the ME, Japan & Korea, Australia…. On and on.

Europe unfortunately has worse wind and solar resources than just about everywhere else in the world.
And in general Europe is much more efficient in the use of energy. Isolation and double/triple glazed windows are normal. Much smaller homes. Induction cooking and heat pumps are normal, not novelties (In Belgium, heat pumps are practically becoming mandatory, with gas heating deprecated, resistive electric heating banned, oil based heating deprecated/banned (let’s not even talk about coal)). Much smaller cars (and thus with lower energy consumption) are the norm. Lots of public transport.
It’s true that much of Europe is much more north than the USA (and thus lower solar efficient), but the gulf stream has a very moderating effect on the climate of much of Europe. This reduces both the energy needed both for heating as for cooling. There’s not a lot of airco either, it’s just not needed in most of Europe (although that is changing due to climate change). And cooling requires much more energy than heating (per degree temperature change).
So you shouldn’t just look at how much kWh/dollar investment in the USA versus EU, but also about how much energy is needed. Europe is much more frugal in that respect, probably much more than the kWh/dollar investment advantage that the USA has. And Putin forces us to be even more frugal/efficient.
As an example, my energy usage is about 15k kWh/year. For a family of 3.5 persons, heating, cooking, 2 cars included (zero fossil fuels used, because Tesla). Belgium is more north than basically all of the USA excluding Alaska. So how much kWh/year would a typical family consume in the north of the USA?

I'm pretty sure that unlike Reddit the thumbs up "Count" just counts reactions... including the thumbs down icon. So that count doesn't really mean what you think it means.

I haven't seen anyone with a negative score and I'm pretty sure a few people around here would definitely be negative or at least permanently zero.

(Everyone should Thumbs down this post to see if it reduces me below my current total of 17,013...)

You are correct, sir. Didn't enjoy the gratuitous thumbs down, but in the interest of science.... :D

1663966462693.png

I'd bet that like 95% of those disagrees are from this thread where people act like pessimism is the enemy rather than a vital tool for the prudent investor.

View attachment 856204

I'd bet that like 95% of those disagrees are from this thread where people act like pessimism is the enemy rather than a vital tool for the prudent investor.
It's hard to say when you make comments like the above one GP replied to which are riddled with lazy assumptions which are easily proved wrong by a simple Google search.

It's quite reasonable to be skeptical about some things... but if you are making a bear case it helps to do a tiny bit of research first. Like for example your assumption that the thumbs up counter was an indication of how good your content is.

last time I checked a few months ago, the reaction score is likes + loves + funny + 2 x informative + 2 x helpful - disagrees

Last edited:

Earlier this year the powers that be made a change in the rating system on TMC. A thumbs down no longer lowers your score.

last time I checked a few months ago, the reaction score is likes + loves + 2 x informative + 2 x helpful - disagrees
Earlier this year the powers that be made a change in the rating system on TMC. A thumbs down no longer lowers your score.

BUT WHAT ABOUT FUNNY!!!

Now I must know how much does funny account for?