Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find my disengagement drives to be more eap/hwy related now than fsd on city streets. Its very impressive.

I'm getting 10 plus disengagements on my 2 mile commute to "work." Stops too early and waits too long at stop signs. Jerky turn after stop. Jerky turns without a stop. Slows way down for shadows. Too close to the centerline on unmarked roads when passing opposite direction traffic. Stops for a road name change. Defaults to a too slow speed limit after a turn onto another road. Misses speed limit signs. Takes 100 yards past the sign to slow to a lower speed limit. Takes sharp right hand turns too wide. Some of these are scary.

I expected Beta to be much better than I'm seeing. I'm driving on quiet, poorly marked country roads.

It did great on a well marked two lane highway but I don't trust it at 70 mph after seeing so many mistakes at much lower speeds.

Am I the only one with a bad experience or are people just not saying anything? I had much higher expectations after seeing things like Chuck's turn making such progress. Are they focusing on city streets first and ignoring us poor country boys? Will there be retaliation for being publicly critical of Beta? ... I don't want to beat up Tesla but I want investors to know where the program is really at.

I am seeing some of this myself. Some might be related to driving style or level of aggressiveness, but it's not ready for full release IMHO.

The extra-wide turns are new (to me), and I believe I saw Kim (?) on YouTube abort a right turn as it looked as though the wide swing was taking her in the wrong direction initially. (My Dad always taught me not to swing wide because of traffic in the other lanes, so I'm biased here with style as most people swing too wide. Instead, on a right turn I prefer to hug the left lane and turn directly, no swing, no surprises, but a bit more skill is needed to clear curbs.)

Add in creeping forward after a stop on a red left turn arrow (I also saw this on Youtube and it self corrected there, but I did not wait due to the complexity of the intersection with double left turn lanes under a freeway.

But the one that scared me last night was during a Chuck style left turn - It was exiting a parking lot, no stop (not required), but also no deceleration (scary - did it look?). The left was clear but I was also on an intercept with 2 other cars on the other side (island divided) so I aborted that one right away. All I can assume is that the vehicle was OK going to the center since it had full curb islands to divide us, as if to ignore traffic on the other side. This could be driving style again, but had it waited 5 more seconds, the coast was clear both direction.

These examples would likely have had a successful outcome, but the balance of risk vs convenience or speed needs some tuning and might need to be a user option (broken down further). However, I'd imaging that a timid setting might get stuck in heavier traffic. And how would this work as a robotaxi if it didn't know the passenger's driving style (although same is true with any taxi)? Which is why I think they haven't provided this level of detail on driving preference. It has to work for anyone who just hops in. Maybe the robotaxi occupant could verbally request commands, or respond to "Slow Down" or "Stop."

Reactions: navguy12 and Andy O
I was thinking more like a rolled sheet of solar cells, more like a roll of film, and it will be unrolled when the power output decreases by a certain percentage.

But how do you compress the air?. That needs an air compressor on the rover, and power which should come from the same solar cells.
Optimus with a broom seems like the only solution potentially relevant to this forum

Optimus with a broom seems like the only solution potentially relevant to this forum

I've got just the guy for the job. He's local (to Mars) and has a broom (on his hat)

marvin_the_martian_by_mercenarybuster-d98hb21.png

... as for relevant to this forum, well, it is the weekend after all

Last edited:
Ryan just picked up his 2022, and he’s saying the ride quality is very much improved (compared to 2020).

I wonder if anyone can confirm?
My partner has a 2020 MYLR and just over six months ago I received my 2022 MYLR and I can confirm that the 2022 ride is much improved. My partner even changed out his wheels in order to create a more forgiving ride (which it did), but still my 2022 with stock wheels is smoother and quieter.

Arizona has been awarded money from the infrastructure bill to build EV chargers on highways. They are doing town hall meetings this fall and getting bids for construction spring of ‘23. I expect Tesla will be very competitive in the bidding with its prefabricated supercharger concept. The program also includes money for upgrading existing stations. V4 soon?
I'm all over this, thanks. Gave lots of input online, lots to consider. Hoping they don't try to make the 8kWh Hybrids go the full trip as folks will only be tempted to use both EV and gas. Also, security would be something to think in advance, and recommend stiffening the penalty for any Interruption of Energy Delivery Services. The team should do a road trip on each existing EV system. They need to understand that reliability and user experience must be prioritized over cost. I don't trust Az with money.

Every few months we see Tesla sign another contract with a mine for a critical cell mineral. These long term contracts should be regarded as Tesla building a new moat that other OEMs will find, in a few years, increasingly difficult to traverse at similar volume and cost to Tesla.

Excellent article:
August issue of Battery Materials Review
Capital capacity vs Capital requirement: the misunderstanding that threatens the viability of the EV event

By: Matt Fernley. Posted on - 23 Sep 2022

Link

My takeaway:
While institutions invest heavily in EV producing OEMs. they are much less willing to invest in mining of minerals essential for EVs due to ESG stigma. Hence it will be up to EV OEMs to guarantee the funding for mining exploration, development and extraction. And those who takes this path, ie Tesla, shall reap the rewards In future years.

This quote from the article supports what Tesla said:
“on average, it takes 1-3 years to build a cell or EV manufacturing plant. But it can take between five and ten years to build a new mine”

For me it’s rage lifting cause I’m already all in Tsla. On the bright side I’m 10-20% stronger this month. I highly recommend taking frustrations out at the gym!

I think Tesla should put gyms at superchargers. Think of the moat! There related the post to Tsla.
And barber shops. I'd love a quick haircut while charging. Or awaiting service @ service center.

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12
Had been seeing TSLAQ sharing articles from these random websites, almost as if they had to create a completely new website just to run a hit piece, must’ve been hard at work recently.
066A8658-C527-40C2-84B7-7EF40D7C2DAD.jpeg

Not linking to the article, only one quote:
That's why Reputation analyzed 20,000 dealers in the US and Canada, and 35,000 around the globe, while also scouring through five million auto dealer ratings and reviews.
You can stop reading right there.

My partner has a 2020 MYLR and just over six months ago I received my 2022 MYLR and I can confirm that the 2022 ride is much improved. My partner even changed out his wheels in order to create a more forgiving ride (which it did), but still my 2022 with stock wheels is smoother and quieter.
For reference how would you compare this to say, Mercedes or Lexus?

Reactions: Skryll

I wonder how the 2022 would compare to a 2021 MYLR? Mine was built in the last week of October 2021 and I love the ride quality.

This same guy wrote this a week ago.

3 out of 6 he complains, IMHO is actually quite positive. All Digital interface, No Gauge cluster and no Apple Car Play.

I absolutely give it to him on the "Bumpy Ride". Yes the ride is horrible. Huge negative for a few who are coming off of Lexus or Mercedes.
I totally agree. I don’t like the ride of the Model Y. If I owned one I would seriously consider an aftermarket suspension alteration.

When I see Tesla owners I always assume they are also TSLA owners because it seems to go so well together. Obviously this is not true, but it makes me wonder what is the actual %. Any body have any stat? any guess?

It would be interesting to know:

- how many TSLA owners own Tesla
- how many Tesla owners own TSLA