Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to be clear the US gov only pays interest on its debt. So its not like they were able to do something logical like utilize once in a lifetime interest rates to pay down debt.
This is only possible if you run budget surpluses which has not occurred since the late 90s under Clinton and was immediately responded to with existential hysteria and anger by the bond market. The next President was obviously instructed to blow up the budget deficit which he did in grand fashion.

What’s your reasoning? I feel like we’re gonna be stuck under 300 for years. I think 2020s will be a bad decade for stocks.

What’s your reasoning? I feel like we’re gonna be stuck under 300 for years. I think 2020s will be a bad decade for stocks.
I think you and @betstarship are each too extreme. Especially you. I think we should all be braced for another year of market headwinds where TSLA struggles between 250 and 325. No way it's held back for the remainder of the decade.

Inflation directly benefits holders of debt with fixed interest rates. Inflation has macroeconomic costs that negatively affect everyone, but it's hard to generalize the net effect on the individual level who benefits and who is harmed.

Inflation does directly hurt whoever is holding cash or who has bet on the future purchasing power of cash (i.e. lenders).
Except for the (i.e. lenders) part I agree with this. Well run lenders tend to do well with inflation primarily because they're well hedged and 'net interest margin' viewed at total level tends to rise fast with inflation. Their cost of funds rises less quickly than their yields. The key is 'well run'. Some gigantic institutions have gone broke primarily because they speculated at a mammoth extent.

In cases such as 2008 and late 1920's early 1930's it was speculation again.

Now we have a different set of issues with much more conservative balance sheets in lenders. Nearly all today will net benefit with rising rates.

To be clear: IMHO Tesla is the best prepared large corporation today because of the huge liquidity cushion, aggressive cost controls and the best industrial cash conversion cycle that exists anywhere. Those advantages are largely invisible to the 'analysts and rating agencies' because their practices ignore basic credit evaluation principles. I'd love to put an /s there but I think the statement is factual.

Tesla is a lender too, but they're hedged quite adeptly, mostly with securitizations.

Unfortunately Elon Musk does seem to have a popularity problem with the ladies, there's a ~20 percentage point gap between his popularity in men vs women (55% vs 34%), a problem he shares with a few other public figures such as Neil deGrasse Tyson, Buffett and some Republicans. But his overall popularity is still on the rise quarter by quarter (44% in Q2 vs 41% in Q1) so I don't think this is a big issue for TSLA.

Source: Elon Musk popularity & fame | YouGov
Awesome to see some actual data. I'm not shocked of that gap, much of it is probably directly related to who has historically owned Teslas (guys). I still believe the Model Y will change this is it takes over the role of a family car for many. Also fingers crossed that Elon keeps up the chill attitude as of late and doesn't get into more political fights.

I don't think anyone wants to date a person so vapid that they believe everything they read in the news or on social media anyway.

Even Elon Musk makes mistakes. The difference is that our mistakes are things like forgetting to shave in the morning.

His mistakes are more along the lines of fat-fingering the wrong year into his time travel machine. 🖖

View attachment 857280
elonright.gif

Last edited:
Unfortunately Elon Musk does seem to have a popularity problem with the ladies, there's a ~20 percentage point gap between his popularity in men vs women (55% vs 34%), a problem he shares with a few other public figures such as Neil deGrasse Tyson, Buffett and some Republicans. But his overall popularity is still on the rise quarter by quarter (44% in Q2 vs 41% in Q1) so I don't think this is a big issue for TSLA.

Source: Elon Musk popularity & fame | YouGov

Yikes. Only redeeming quality of this list is Tobias Menzies. And wtf onions?

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 6.27.30 AM.png

Awesome to see some actual data. I'm not shocked of that gap, much of it is probably directly related to who has historically owned Teslas (guys). I still believe the Model Y will change this is it takes over the role of a family car for many.

I don't think anyone wants to date a person so vapid that they believe everything they read in the news or on social media anyway.

Yes, I think there's that.

If you're not interested in his companies, or don't own his products, you'll probably just know a bunch of negative things about Musk.

Data point: my wife doesn't like him. Filed under arrogant rich person who thinks they can get away with anything.

EDIT. Data point: I don't like him either. Very glad his companies exist though. I separate the two things.

You talk about Musk on dates?
Hey: I _wear_ musk on dates ;)

OK, sorry, could not resist.

Back on topic, I have watched the current dip with envy but sadly had cleaned out the couch cushions as part of my recent move into a nice new house with a significant solar power system. When charged at home, Saphira is now running on sunshine (formerly on remote West Texas utility-scale wind, but local solar feels better).
I haven't said this in a while, but despite many months of digressions, Tesla is still on target for this year. This was not supposed to be the year of FSD, or new vehicle offerings, or even fully-baked 4680 cells of various process and chemical improvements. This was meant to be the year of flooding the markets, increasing efficiency, and (again) flooding the markets. These are what moves the needle of the Mission the most this year. At these, here at the close of Q3, Tesla appears likely to succeed with flying colors.
In terminology of the current zeitgeist, Tesla has taken the main plateau with a phalanx of Model 3/Y's. Outriders have already been sent to the unliberated hinterlands as far as Australia and New Zealand and have met little resistance and in fact much rejoicing. The main battlefront in China is still looking good, and on the US front, the enemies' really not-that-impressive emplacements only seem to be one village charge station deep, and Tesla is swiftly moving beyond them. Europe is hard to discern right now due to the fog of war and potential economic fallout but with local forces being generated in Germany, all possible opportunistic targets will be acted on rapidly.
Bring on Q3 and Q4 numbers, and as always, ramp like the wind, Austin and Berlin!