Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After hours trading up 1.5%. Nasdaq futures up just 0.3%.

Anyone know of any news or what could be driving this? Seems like a big move after hours if no news.
It must be due to the hurricane headed toward my area, with tons of people queued up at gas stations and starting to realize they need cars that can be recharged at home. Or not.

What could possibly go wrong?

View attachment 857393
Generally EV charging is in an other area of the complex far away from the gas pumps.

We should ask the alternative question:-
"Given a relatively rapid transition to a high EV fleet, is there any advantage in gas stations installing EV charging?"

IMO the answer is "Yes", and that will keep the station open longer, benefiting all.

In fact these sites may be good candidates for redevelopment with a smaller above ground tank replacing the large underground tank, some form of multi-level EV charging/parking and a larger retail footprint.

People keep thinking that we're going to blast off when there's no catalyst.
Even if Tesla reports strong deliveries and earnings, rising interest rates and poor macros will weigh on the stock. It doesn't mean that Tesla will drop, but I can see a scenario where the overall market stays flat/down for a decade while Tesla only goes up 2X rather than the 10-20X that people are expecting.

It is foolish for anyone to fight the Fed. Bears fought the fed for the entirety of last decade and they got destroyed. Now the bulls are fighting the Fed. I don't expect them to win
Judging by your input here recently, respectfully, I don’t think you have any idea what’s actually going on with Tesla, TSLA, or the Fed.

If you don’t see catalysts, you are blind.
You also, respectfully, sound like a fool when you’re spewing such uneducated nonsense to a bunch of people who have spent the last decade+ invested in/researching this company. Apparently you don’t understand basic finance, earnings, valuations and apparently also do not understand forecasting, estimates, or models.

You also keep spewing info about the fed. The fed this, the fed that. But in reality, Tesla is probably the number one company in the US(and likely world wide) to be as close to a safehaven during this time. They are poised to receive massive benifits from the Inflation reduction act, making their already hyper growth multi pronged juggernaut of a company EVEN MORE SUCCESSFUL.

They also have massive Free cash flow and cash on hand. They don’t need to borrow money or pay of much debt, so these interest hikes are nearly meaningless.

Stick to penny stocks if your scared of playing with the big boys….. be greedy when others are fearful comes to mind.

Watch and learn

Musings on 2 EV show weekends.

I have spent the last 2 weekends pushing some EV goodness at two different events in southern Ontario. Here are some observations.

Background:
  • Each event was organized by a local group of enthusiasts who come from a sustainability/get off fossil fuels perspective
  • Both events has a strong representations of the available models in Canada, perhaps 15 different models including the full SEXY line.
  • Both events offered test drives by an organization in Toronto that works with dealers to have all the various electric cars in one location so the consumer can get educated and drive a few different models. Tesla has never offered cars to this non-profit which I think has been a mistake. The organization (Plug 'n Drive) is very fair and even-handed in my experience.
  • I had my brand new Taiga PWC there and it was a big hit.
Observations/opinions:
  • So many still so unknowledgeable, with very basic questions.
  • Most common questions remain (I have been answering these for 10 years):
    1. How far can you go on one charge?
    2. How long to charge?
    3. How much to replace the battery?
    4. I heard batteries will end up in landfills, true?
    5. How much can I tow?
    6. When will they be cheaper?
    7. Are there chargers, I have not seen them?
  • Most are still ignorant of the benefits ($ to drive, $ to maintain, technology, safety, resale).
  • Many do not see EVs as inevitable still.
  • Elon divides bigly. One guy had a 'Don't bet against Elon' T-shirt while another said 'I will buy anything other than a Tesla because Elon is one of the worst people in the world'. Astounding.
  • The Model X doors ALWAYS delight.
  • FSD terrifies the unexperienced.
  • While other interiors are all influenced by Tesla no one else is anywhere near to the same minimalist interior.
  • The F-150 lightening attracted the biggest crowd at the one show that was more rural.
  • Many who came are keen but still priced out of the EV space.
  • Kia and Hyundai are the only serious players in Canada beside Tesla.
  • Most folks knew someone who already had an EV - that is a tipping point. Up the S-curve we go.
For the first time I had feature envy in another EV. A number of cars offer a 120V outlet now standard or as a option. I would kill for that from Tesla in my own cars. Super useful. This is a rare feature where Tesla is a follower and will have to offer at some point. Obviously the Cybertruck will have it but it should be standard across the line. I think V2G is inevitable also - another rare place where I think Elon is wrong.

Anyway fun to be a both events. I let folks test drive my family's Teslas (S, X, 3) and that grin is 100% guaranteed.

Probably sold 5+ Teslas. So good for what, Q3 2023?

Judging by your input here recently, respectfully, I don’t think you have any idea what’s actually going on with Tesla, TSLA, or the Fed.

If you don’t see catalysts, you are blind.
You also, respectfully, sound like a fool when you’re spewing such uneducated nonsense to a bunch of people who have spent the last decade+ invested in/researching this company. Apparently you don’t understand basic finance, earnings, valuations and apparently also do not understand forecasting, estimates, or models.

You also keep spewing info about the fed. The fed this, the fed that. But in reality, Tesla is probably the number one company in the US(and likely world wide) to be as close to a safehaven during this time. They are poised to receive massive benifits from the Inflation reduction act, making their already hyper growth multi pronged juggernaut of a company EVEN MORE SUCCESSFUL.

They also have massive Free cash flow and cash on hand. They don’t need to borrow money or pay of much debt, so these interest hikes are nearly meaningless.

Stick to penny stocks if your scared of playing with the big boys….. be greedy when others are fearful comes to mind.

Watch and learn
If pessimism had a head, it would be on a spike right now

Musings on 2 EV show weekends.

I have spent the last 2 weekends pushing some EV goodness at two different events in southern Ontario. Here are some observations.

Background:
  • Each event was organized by a local group of enthusiasts who come from a sustainability/get off fossil fuels perspective
  • Both events has a strong representations of the available models in Canada, perhaps 15 different models including the full SEXY line.
  • Both events offered test drives by an organization in Toronto that works with dealers to have all the various electric cars in one location so the consumer can get educated and drive a few different models. Tesla has never offered cars to this non-profit which I think has been a mistake. The organization (Plug 'n Drive) is very fair and even-handed in my experience.
  • I had my brand new Taiga PWC there and it was a big hit.
Observations/opinions:
  • So many still so unknowledgeable, with very basic questions.
  • Most common questions remain (I have been answering these for 10 years):
    1. How far can you go on one charge?
    2. How long to charge?
    3. How much to replace the battery?
    4. I heard batteries will end up in landfills, true?
    5. How much can I tow?
    6. When will they be cheaper?
    7. Are there chargers, I have not seen them?
  • Most are still ignorant of the benefits ($ to drive, $ to maintain, technology, safety, resale).
  • Many do not see EVs as inevitable still.
  • Elon divides bigly. One guy had a 'Don't bet against Elon' T-shirt while another said 'I will buy anything other than a Tesla because Elon is one of the worst people in the world'. Astounding.
  • The Model X doors ALWAYS delight.
  • FSD terrifies the unexperienced.
  • While other interiors are all influenced by Tesla no one else is anywhere near to the same minimalist interior.
  • The F-150 lightening attracted the biggest crowd at the one show that was more rural.
  • Many who came are keen but still priced out of the EV space.
  • Kia and Hyundai are the only serious players in Canada beside Tesla.
  • Most folks knew someone who already had an EV - that is a tipping point. Up the S-curve we go.
For the first time I had feature envy in another EV. A number of cars offer a 120V outlet now standard or as a option. I would kill for that from Tesla in my own cars. Super useful. This is a rare feature where Tesla is a follower and will have to offer at some point. Obviously the Cybertruck will have it but it should be standard across the line. I think V2G is inevitable also - another rare place where I think Elon is wrong.

Anyway fun to be a both events. I let folks test drive my family's Teslas (S, X, 3) and that grin is 100% guaranteed.

Probably sold 5+ Teslas. So good for what, Q3 2023?
Btw, EVs other than Tesla has pretty bad resale value. The Model 3/Y usually depreciates little or you may even make a profit. However other car branded EVs under 60k depreciates like a rock, even worst than than luxury tesla models like the S/X! This is one aspect that reminds me about Apple phones which has the least depreciation while android phones are worth less than paperweight after a year or two.

People keep thinking that we're going to blast off when there's no catalyst.
Even if Tesla reports strong deliveries and earnings, rising interest rates and poor macros will weigh on the stock. It doesn't mean that Tesla will drop, but I can see a scenario where the overall market stays flat/down for a decade while Tesla only goes up 2X rather than the 10-20X that people are expecting.

It is foolish for anyone to fight the Fed. Bears fought the fed for the entirety of last decade and they got destroyed. Now the bulls are fighting the Fed. I don't expect them to win.
Very shallow take. I would expect that from Wall St analysts, but not from TMC members

Anyone know of any news or what could be driving this? Seems like a big move after hours if no news.

There used to be a time where this would contribute to an AH move....but sadly, not anymore:
1664327400182.png

Nearly all stocks I follow are showing up ~1%. Hoping it is due to SPY and other macro's bouncing hard off 'the bottom'. Housing starts tomorrow hopefully supports this move, but a gaggle of Fed heads talk tomorrow so...

This is entirely due to Apple saying it won’t increase iPhone production because there demand isn’t there for more than they sell right now. Will be interesting to see if TSLA holds up tomorrow. I personally think that simply no one cares about buying a new iPhone that’s practically identical to the last one 🤷

This is entirely due to Apple saying it won’t increase iPhone production because there demand isn’t there for more than they sell right now. Will be interesting to see if TSLA holds up tomorrow. I personally think that simply no one cares about buying a new iPhone that’s practically identical to the last one 🤷
Whew! For a second there, i thought this headline had something to do with the drop:

1664331666977.png

/s

I think Elon had something to do with iPhone 14 flop.
Any T-Mobile phone would be able to send text or make phone call with satellite coverage next year, this single handedly destroyed the biggest selling point of iPhone 14. I for one would be waiting for iPhone 15.
This has everything to do with an underwhelming product, and nothing about consumer confidence.