Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if this is the reason why Tesla stop orders on the LR 3 as to only focus on imported LFPs while the dollar is strong.
Depending how the IRA works out, I would not be surprised if Tesla moves to only offer the Performance 3. The Y is cheaper to make and probably will be receiving a $7500 credit. That assumes a few things like Y demand still being unmet, and Tesla still being somewhat constrained by cells etc. but I think it's fairly likely.

Fleet delivery involves transport of goods to destination, or just signing of documents?
Depends entirely on the contract. In large fleets the buyers sometimes prefer their own transportation. IIRC, in California, even fleets destined to go elsewhere require all the California registration to be complete. Tesla was trying to get that changed.

Some of the California residents might know the status of that effort.

Lest we forget, many of the same entities going after TSLA on a regular basis play no favorites when it comes to manipulating stocks.

The source is 'someone familiar with the matter'. The article also continues to say, that AAPL will now only produce as 'per guidance' 90 million units instead of the additional six million units that it never officially announced it was doing anyway. This production pop was reported previously by 'sources familiar with the matter' who stated that Apple expected an additional six million unit demand from the new product launch and was pushing suppliers to meet the new demand.... which it is allegedly not pushing for anymore.

Does all of this nonsense sound familiar? It should. We see it all the time.

BTW, it also mentioned that AAPL is seeing the highest demand for its highest priced product, the Pro. All in all, I would guess that come earnings time AAPL will beat expectations.

The timing of this is impeccable. A strike against the market leader and the entire market as it was struggling to regain support levels from previous lows. Our FUDster friends are pros for a reason.

Really curious to see how TSLA does tomorrow. Which stock is going to lead the next bull market anyway?
Just to add, I'm still getting 3-4 week delivery for a MaxPro, and I'm in the Upgrade program.

Tesla really needs some more models released...living somewhere where it seems like every 4th vehicle is a Tesla, the lack of variety is becoming apparent. The CT will certainly break things up a bit. This is a good "problem" to have.
I'm seeing the same thing. Even the Semi looks like a Model Y!

Reminds me of the Toyotas and Hondas which were so pervasive back in the early 90s. I think it's going to get much "worse" before it gets better.

Tesla really needs some more models released...living somewhere where it seems like every 4th vehicle is a Tesla, the lack of variety is becoming apparent. The CT will certainly break things up a bit. This is a good "problem" to have.

Model 3's and Y's are becoming very commonplace now, but I love it honestly. As an investor I also do not think Tesla needs a ton of different looking "models", I love the Apple approach to products available (fewer models, more focus on improvement of existing models).

Some more color variety would be great though, like every year have two or three new colors and swap them out yearly to create some diversity on the roads. I see custom wraps now and then but it's not enough to offset the vast amounts of white and black Tesla's on the road.

This is one of the things you’ll see Tesla’s competitors and detractors try to draw attention to. Since legacy automakers are quite adept at “refreshing” their vehicles every 2 years and offering a large variety of colors, they will seek to encourage consumers to “stand out from the crowd,” “be your own person.”

I’m not sure it’s a problem for Tesla so long as the product remains superior from an efficiency, tech, safety standpoint. And then I’m sure Tesla can pull the “refresh” lever if they feel so compelled. I think we’re still a few years out from that.

One of the reasons the margin is where it is, is the simplified product mix. Having 3-4 different models that fill the same basic market just adds to the cost without really adding to demand.

Reminds me of the Toyotas and Hondas which were so pervasive back in the early 90s. I think it's going to get much "worse" before it gets better.
Damn you, physical laws of aerodynamics! Making us all look bad for the sake of efficiency ;)

Somebody please post a meme of the old Simpson's guy shaking his fist at an angelic Isaac Newton.

All this meant in good humor and fun! Just filling time til AI day 2 and MUCH awaited P/D numbers.

(Yes, I know there is indeed wiggle room on design but also, low coefficient of drag is paramount on the EV front for now. Heck, even some more paint colors would help with the sameness issue... which I start to notice too in Austin BTW.)

I’m not sure it’s a problem for Tesla so long as the product remains superior from an efficiency, tech, safety standpoint.

It's worth remembering that while the outward appearance of Tesla's line-up remains relatively static over time, there have been dozens and dozens of meaningful improvements to the vehicles over the years.

I don't think this is even a comprehensive list, but this site documents 44 changes made to the Model 3 alone, for example: Tesla history of model changes by year

It's worth remembering that while the outward appearance of Tesla's line-up remains relatively static over time, there have been dozens and dozens of meaningful improvements to the vehicles over the years.

I don't think this is even a comprehensive list, but this site documents 44 changes made to the Model 3 alone, for example: Tesla history of model changes by year

Definitely. And if you add self-driving to the mix, the cars essentially become ageless for an even longer period. It’s not like there are design breakthroughs other car manufacturers are making that make Tesla’s first design language outdated. They just trade angles for curves and curves for angles in an alternating cycle…or in the case of BMW, a perpetually enlarging kidney grille.

The problem, if there is one, is of perceived uniformity. I don’t think consumers mind it if the product is superior in most aspects (eg iPhone).

Nice to see someone tracking these changes, Ryan Shaw said according to his sources (internal to Tesla) there have been 30 revisions to the ModelY suspension alone. Wish we could get that granularity in these reports!

Legacy auto does major model changes to force buyers to upgrade (nobody wants a dated car) and to allow them to batch all of their changes all at once, minimal as they are. Always funny to see people claim that say the Model S is "dated" and needs a refresh as it tells me they know jack about Tesla. There isn't much that a 2022 S shares with a 2015. Software, sheet metal, frame, motors etc. etc.

I'd love to upgrade my Model 3 but then I'd lose FSD Beta. If they offered some sort of FSD transfer or even a discount I'd do it tomorrow.

Yes I just recently moved from Chicago area to Phoenix area. I thought Chicago had a lot of Tesla. It really feels like every 3-4th car out here!

I am sure it's even worse (better?) here in Silicon Valley. On our street and an adjoining street (call it 15 houses total), there are 10 Teslas. Two of us have two Teslas in our driveways/garages.

I have wondered if at some point, this would be turn-off for some potential buyers. I'm a function-over-form kind of guy, so I would not hesitate, but I know there are some who need to feel different or unique.

More choices, both in terms of models but also colors, would be good. But given the demand/supply inequality right now, I support Tesla not introducing new models at this time. I trust they will know when they need to introduce another model.

Damn you, physical laws of aerodynamics! Making us all look bad for the sake of efficiency ;)

Somebody please post a meme of the old Simpson's guy shaking his fist at an angelic Isaac Newton.

All this meant in good humor and fun! Just filling time til AI day 2 and MUCH awaited P/D numbers.

(Yes, I know there is indeed wiggle room on design but also, low coefficient of drag is paramount on the EV front for now. Heck, even some more paint colors would help with the sameness issue... which I start to notice too in Austin BTW.)

Tesla has a lot of space for significant changes to the existing cars or new models. They just don’t see the need right now. Demand is fine, car performs fine, they have more important things to do than rearrange the furniture or make 7 different cars that do the same thing slightly differently.

A lot of auto companies update their designs specifically to stimulate demand. If the designs aren’t different enough, people are more likely to just hang onto their 5 year old car for another year or two unless there is some really compelling change in the car. Tesla doesn’t have problems with demand. Nor do they have problems with adding compelling updates to their cars.

In other words… whatever new Tesla comes out will be functionally different. Either smaller and more efficient or bigger and much more capable.