Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do see some evidence that Shanghai may have up to 10k cars in transit to Europe and Australia at quarter end which won't count as sales.
I have a 373k estimate but won't be surprised to see 363k. I will likely be adding 10k to my Q4 delivery number.

It appears that Tesla may be focused on achieving the Year rather than the Qtr. By putting 10k cars on ships now it ensures all exports for Q4 get delivered early allowing Tesla to focus on local deliveries for the final 5-7 weeks of the year. The exports also provide a higher margin for Q4 in my estimate.
Is that 373k number accounting for the roughly 11k carried over from Aug though? Meaning if production was high enough, about 92-95k, then there’s enough inventory for them to export 10k and still deliver 90k+

• Helpful
Reactions: Dig deeper
Much of the AI Day hype has been coming from Elon. On the Q2 earnings call in July he said this:
I think people will be amazed at what we're able to show off in AI Day
William Stein -- Truist Securities -- Analyst

Great. Thank you very much for taking my question. Elon, in the past, you've given some assessment as to the likelihood that you can achieve success in some of the more interesting AI-oriented efforts, not only FSD but also Dojo and Optimus. Perhaps you can give an updated view on those.

Elon Musk -- Chief Executive Officer and Product Architect

Well, I don't want to steal thunder from AI Day. So I think we'll have some exciting news on AI Day that I think will be further ahead than probably most people think. But I don't want to -- I'd love to answer you but I think we'll leave that excitement for AI Day.
He has also said we’ll get “a lot” of updates about Dojo and that they pushed it back from Aug 19th to Sep 30th to enable an Optimus demo. We’ll get “lots of technical detail and cool hardware demos”. AI Day might go over most people’s heads because of how technical it will be, just like Autonomy Day and Battery Day and AI Day 2021, and it might not affect the stock, but we will definitely learn a lot of crucial information to inform our models and we’ll also get demos. I doubt it’s just going to be basic stuff like walking around, picking up boxes, and climbing stairs.

Last edited:
Is that 373k number accounting for the roughly 11k carried over from Aug though? Meaning if production was high enough, about 92-95k, then there’s enough inventory for them to export 10k and still deliver 90k+

In my latest 373k estimate, I was expecting Shanghai to delivery 98k in Sept with 90k Sept Production and 8k from inventory (production in prior months not yet delivered). If 10k of the 90k produced in Sept are now targeted for ships for October delivery, it will move sales from Q3 to Q4.
Maybe we see a stronger number out of Fremont to make up for this in-transit Shanghai inventory.
There's a bit of guess work here . . . I am by no means a Production & Delivery expert; I dabble in it to feed my financial model.

1664499067394.png

Ross Gerber just posted on Twitter that the consensus analyst delivery estimate is now 364K. I'm not sure where he gets that number, but it's higher than I would expect the consensus to be. I thought it was down to 360K

From what I understand, the 364k is the consensus compiled by Tesla's Investor Relations department (average of 26 analysts)
I believe the consensus compiled by Bloomberg is 358k.

For the price Monroe Associates charged for those cells, I'd be hella pissed if it came with pink and grey structural adhesive / epoxy all over it. Those cells aren't display worthy!
Jordan is going to have it torn apart, not display it. Plus the epoxy is a bonus, he can flame test it and analyze that as well.

Guys we’re so off topic here.

Where’s the discussion about TSLA trading like a dog again today and being spoofed nonstop while the macros rally??????

Gonna love reading Gary Black’s random excuse for TSLA trading terribly today 🙄

nah gary’s not even worried about TSLA anymore, hes so fixated with elon and twitter hes glitching like he’s burned too many synapses

Two reasons:
1. Stock price usually doesn't fair well after these events.
2. Watching Dave Lee and John Gibb yesterday, they said they were expecting "state of the art" (Optimus). Tesla is a year into the Optimus venture, if the world is expecting state of the art, they will be disappointed. Additionally, Tesla's strength in this area is AI. An amazing display of AI will get completely missed if accompanied by an ordinary display of robotics.

My opinions are not a negative on Tesla, they are a negative on the stock market.
I think there are some unreasonable expectations about Optimus but I keep seeing it echoed that tesla is only 1 year into it.

I could be wrong but I doubt when they announced their intentions to make Optimus that they hadn’t already committed quite a bit of time to it covertly.

When they announced teslas would be fully self driving someday circa 2016 they didn’t have it solved, but they had engineered the cars to all have cameras and laid out a great deal of their groundwork.

Elon didn’t wake up, say “let’s build a robot” and then immediately hold a public event to find people interested in working on the robot team.

I think most people realize this but it bears repeating, software and hardware don’t start the minute your rank and file engineer opens a CAD file or writes the first line of code. A lot of important work is done before then. The same way a skyscraper doesn’t get started when you put in the foundation.

A ton of geological surveying and other high level planning goes into stuff to make sure there’s a point to starting the project.

With AI related stuff that is cutting edge there is a little more “figure it out as we go” than normal but I’m pretty confident that A LOT more planning went into the slide on that specs sheet than “ya that sounds good”

Last edited:
From what I understand, the 364k is the consensus compiled by Tesla's Investor Relations department (average of 26 analysts)
I believe the consensus compiled by Bloomberg is 358k.
364k deliveries sounds about right to me. I've arrived at my 365k estimate through my own in depth mathematical analysis. Jk, but I'm sticking with it anyhow.

Reactions: The Accountant
Unless we pop 30 points tomorrow, really not to worried about a post Optimus let down in SP.

A miss on the P and D OTOH, could result in a bit of a down draft, despite the record quarter it already is.

I can't remember what quarter or year it was, but Tesla being a miss from analyst expectations WHILE being a record quarter was spun the other way...to the positive the one time I remember it happening post 2019...

...anyone remember what quarter/year it was?

Last edited by a moderator:
'Twas the night before AI day, and all through the house, not an option was trading, not even by mouse
Deep learning was hung by the demos with care, while we hoped for marvels Elon soon would lay bare.

Spoiler alert: A contrarian take on Optimus. For economic, rather than technical reasons.

Joe Gebbia (Airbnb co-founder) appointed to Tesla's board.

Gebbia could be considered (and probably will be by the Wall St types) as Tesla’s first outward-facing move towards launching Tesla Network.

Bullish for Tesla Network, they need someone who knows the sharing economy. Who would be better than the one who started it?

The initial phase of RoboTaxi would be about convincing car owners to join the network and acquiring/retaining guests in an efficient way.

Lots of synergy there with AirBnb user base too.
As a reminder, Elon said RT would be a cross between Uber and Airbnb. Perfect recruit.
Tesla Robotaxi to shake up rideshare and hospitality industry: Opinion

What I want to see at AI day

Optimus hardware: individual elements, hands, skin, haptics, motors, face (eyes+hearing) and how they are going to improve them over time.
Optimus software: the neural nets, general training for walking, etc.
Optimus training: how it is trained for specific tasks
Optimus networking & feedback: how they learn
Optimus manufacturing: development bots, large scale manufacturing

DOJO update, v2?, scaling, performance, selling systems or time on systems.

FSD update, training, HW4
AI for robotaxi service

AI use in Factory OS.

AI usage elsewhere in Tesla (+SpaceX?)

If we get an update on all these, with progress and development path I will be more than happy.

Any progress towards AGI would be a bonus.

Another thing I would like to see from AI day 2 is how they are going to build an ecosystem around AI.

Agree with the worries about hype, I am more looking for the AI use foundations, not flashy demos, have they got a firm base on which to build over the next few years. That will necessarily be technical, but I hope with my software background I will understand enough to make an assessment, but very few will probably fully understand the information presented. A bit like battery day where nuances of what was presented are still coming out.

Forget about TSLA for a bit - today will be a moment in history that only a few will witness in real time.

Won't we all experience today in real time? Unless our lives truly are a simulation? Kidding, I get your meaning, but I'm not really expecting anything ecstatic. Now, the first orbital launch of Starship on the other hand...

I can't remember what quarter or year it was, but Tesla being a miss from analyst expectations WHILE being a record quarter was spun the other way...to the positive the one time I remember it happening post 2019...

...anyone remember what quarter/year it was?

Production and deliveries are both likely to be 50% up YoY and also massively up QoQ.

Compared to other OEMs and major tech companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google, Meta, etc. that is a really impressive. It also shows that Tesla can grow unit sales (and likely revenue) at 50% even in difficult times, which is what they said they would do. So it would be quite easy to spin P&D as possitive.