Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious - we're folks here impressed with the physical demo at the beginning of the presentation?

I'm personally surprised the demo was about the Bot walking. There is nothing really novel shown so far.
The most impressive thing was the perception view of the robot completing tasks imo.

Having it walk on stage was just proof the thing exists and can move.

Thinking of it as a labor replacement... we value people (including all costs of employing someone) at $250k/year. Imagine Optimus can only work at half the speed of a human... but its working 24 hours. Give it a 5 year life, and you're talking about 1.5 times the labor at only $4k/year. That's 93x the value of employing a human.

That's crazy.
Most factory workers are $50,000 a year. HR and tax overhead are a lot for a small company but not for a big one. 20-40% more for that.

but at $20k… even $80k an Optimus is going to be a good deal.

I'm curious - are folks here impressed with the physical demo at the beginning of the presentation?

I'm personally surprised the demo was about the Bot walking. There is nothing really novel shown so far.
What's impressive is:
- how fast they went from nothing to something usable
- their vision on the foundation of how to get there
- The vision of where they're going

I'm curious - we're folks here impressed with the physical demo at the beginning of the presentation?

I think going from very first actual physical prototype at all to an unaided bipedal humaniform robot walking in just 6 months is somewhat impressive.

THAT said- AP has been impressive for a lot of years now and the car still doesn't actually self-drive. Remains to be seen what the real time is from where they are now to actual mass production.

What problem are we solving tho? People and machinery can already run factories. If anything, this just creates the problem of another idle citizen needing support.

The primary goals of all Elon's efforts are obviously Mars-based. This thing will make great semi autonomous explorer landing on Mars to setup Boring rigs, building human shelter and other infrastructure.

I don't see the Earth based purposes.

What problem are we solving tho? People and machinery can already run factories. If anything, this just creates the problem of another idle citizen needing support.

The primary goals of all Elon's efforts are obviously Mars-based. This thing will make great semi autonomous explorer landing on Mars to setup Boring rigs, building human shelter and other infrastructure.

We literally just went through an global pandemic where the Optimus robot could have continued to run factories and would have avoided this entire supply shortage driven inflation rise

I don’t get how you can make the statement with a straight face 🙄

Reducing the cost of labor reduces the cost of living.

It used to be that a candle was so costly to produce that having light at night was something just for wealthy.

Now a lightbulb is is a nothingburger to purchase.

The displacement of labor does cause a temporary problem where the way which someone was making money to sustain themselves is no longer available. And it is a serious problem that needs addressing. But in the long term super cheap automated labor leads to cheaper goods and services for everyone.

Organic farming, which is better for sustainability reasons, could not economically feed the world today. But organic farming with Optimus labor could provide scalable cheap labor that would make everyone eating organic food viable.