Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe there is still a lot of Private Equity funding to support innovative companies. Goldman Sachs just launched a $9.7B Venture Capital fund (West Street Capital Partners VIII) to invest in healthcare, technology and climate change transition.
Thank Zeus for the sake of innovation, but that might be a far cry from an unknown robotics startup with no revenues or profits being valued at $10b right out of the gate.

Free money fed the start-up era and 2020-2021 was like a last wild hurrah for IPOs and the crazier stuff like SPACs, lots of that was likely pulled forward with the QE. Now we need to see which can actually make money and survive, but activity in that realm overall will probably be quite subdued until financing costs come down again.

It's really sad how social media has ruined social and political discourse in a decade.
How do we backtrack from this without 'totalitarian' controls and controlled speech?
Most people are very opinionated because the think they are smart, when in fact they aren't. Before social media we weren't constantly reminded of this fact. Now I'm so disgusted by my fellow humans that I want to unplug and go live by myself on my own mountain more than ever before. Hopefully TSLA will allow me to do that soon. I might even get a cat....

Sorry, but unless you believe that “Tesla Robotics” will be worth more than, say, $100 billion in the next two years, then it’s immaterial to our TSLA investment now. The chance that it may be worth $7T in 2030 is immaterial today if it won’t be worth more than $100 billion two years from now.

As an investor (in contrast to a future tech enthusiast) it’s important to keep your eye on the ball of what is going to materially impact valuation over the next two years.

I guess if you're planning to sell TSLA in 2 years, this makes sense. What about people who have 5 or 10-year horizons?

What I didn’t hear asked was what are they looking for? More of the same? People to fill specific weaknesses? Seems that would have been an important question to ask.
I think they're still solely looking for evidence of exceptional ability and they mostly figure out the rest later in the hiring and onboarding process.

Job application portal looks pretty much the same as last year:

1664634484229.png

OK, now we got a poll:

Who here would pay 25K USD right now for an Optimus that does nothing but house clean.

Sweep floors, dust, wash laundry, load and run the dishwasher.

Agree or disagree.

Seems a bit high to me, BUT, if the hardware is capable of more than that, and OTA updates will enable more functionality as it ages, then $25k is a great deal IMO.

Sorry, but unless you believe that “Tesla Robotics” will be worth more than, say, $100 billion in the next two years, then it’s immaterial to our TSLA investment now. The chance that it may be worth $7T in 2030 is immaterial today if it won’t be worth more than $100 billion two years from now.

As an investor (in contrast to a future tech enthusiast) it’s important to keep your eye on the ball of what is going to materially impact valuation over the next two years.
I have a lot of options that expire in the next two years and shares which have no expiration. Why would I only look at the next two years? I'm pretty sure by then we won't yet have solved sustainable energy and reversed the net flux of carbon from the crust.

OK, now we got a poll:

Who here would pay 25K USD right now for an Optimus that does nothing but house clean.

Agree or disagree.
A related question who would be interested in buying a bot that can put packages into cardboard boxes, tape them up and then load them into the van. And whose margins are in part linked to labor cost

Reactions: Mike Ambler

A considerable part of TSLA's valuation hinges on its growth rate. The FUD is most insistent and relentless that TSLA will hit a wall and that 50% YOY will suddenly be flat. Now your 100 PE needs to be an 8.

I don't see how anything that may contribute billions in revenue while simultaneously decreasing COGs within five years should be considered immaterial.

Especially the COGs aspect. If margins can expand even more due to functioning Optimus robots that impact would be huge on the SP.

Seems a bit high to me, BUT, if the hardware is capable of more than that, and OTA updates will enable more functionality as it ages, then $25k is a great deal IMO.
pays for itself in 7 years in my household.

But FSD by itself at $15k in its state today is way overpriced IMHO. I would argue that most people that bought it recently do so to accelerate taking delivery of their vehicle and not because they think it has a $15k value. Most of those $15k are really their perceived value of the car itself beyond MSRP, even without FSD.

Last edited:
pays for itself in 7 years in my household.

But FSD at $15k in its state today is way overpriced IMHO. I would argue that most people that bought it recently do so to accelerate taking delivery of their vehicle and not because they think it has a $15k value. Most of those $15k are really their perceived value of the car itself beyond MSRP, even without FSD.
It is way overpriced. I bought it at $6K with the $ I made on Tesla stock and because I'm an engineer amused by this stuff. Rationalized it as contributing to advancement to the state of the art. As a Beta person, not impressed with result so far. Lots of storage braking events.

View attachment 858726

This. More of this in the future please.
I've never seen a corporate leadership team with so many people at a healthy body fat percentage and looking healthy in general. That's partially because this team skews so young, but still this is remarkable. Even a random sample of 22 people from the United States in their age demographic would be extremely unlikely to yield a result like this. Even Elon has now lost nearly all of his stress-eating weight from 2018-2019 and looks a lot better rested.

I don't mean to add to the social stigmatization of being fat and out of shape, and anyway shaming demonstrably doesn't tend to work well for convincing people to sustainably change the underlying behavior. I will also add that I am aware that some health conditions and disabilities are not readily apparent visually. However, as a retail investor I have some advantages over institutional investors and one of them is that I'm allowed to include information in my thesis that would normally get someone in trouble for saying it out loud in a corporate environment, and in general these things can be inferred pretty reliably on average with visual information.

The scientific studies are clear: Physical fitness, nutrition and body composition, all else being equal, profoundly influence energy, mood, drive and intellectual performance, all of which I think directly affect engineering innovation performance and team cohesion. Even animal studies on e.g. rats have shown this, so it's not just a human phenomenon. I don't know why Tesla's team has such an unusual lack of excess body fat and appears pretty well slept too, but this condition is surely helping their ability to sustain the intense, long workdays necessary to achieve the progress we witnessed yesterday.

I'd be amazed if all the big tech firms didn't watch that presentation and decide to try and make their own bot. Far easier to manufacture than a car and easier to source cells at that pack size. There's an almost infinite market to fill, an presumably we'll see quite a few zunes before the market consolidates.
But who?

There are companies that can compete in software, and those who can compete in manufacturing (I'm being generous here but bear with me), but what company can compete in both areas? Legacy auto can't, they can barely program a system that lets you use Carplay. Apple, Google etc. can do the software/AI bits but don't know the first thing about manufacturing.

Most people are very opinionated because the think they are smart, when in fact they aren't. Before social media we weren't constantly reminded of this fact. Now I'm so disgusted by my fellow humans that I want to unplug and go live by myself on my own mountain more than ever before. Hopefully TSLA will allow me to do that soon. I might even get a cat....
This. I've always joked that it's not that I think I'm so smart, it's just that most other people just seem so friggin dumb.

Did you guys watch the same thing I did? Optimus not only walked on stage, but turned to it's left, and then danced just like Elon! Granted, it was subtle, but the more I watch it the more impressed I am. That robot will be running the 660 next year, throwing strikes along the way... very impressive!
I was impressed also. I learned a lot about hands since I am doing PT after getting a titanium distal radial plate on my wrist. That demo was able to lift a heavy object with BOTH HANDS and do movements at the same time.
These engineers are on task integrating Tesla vision,NN, DOJO speed, language tokens and more. I have more understanding on how our Teslas think making nanosecond decisions.
Having FSD beta on our Teslas which already has prevented several mishaps is phenomenal.
I was glad to see Elon so relaxed and realizing he likes to stop and smell the roses
Tesla is big worldwide and the FUD is like water hitting a duck. Our brother-in-law bought a Lexus instead of Tesla and wished he didn't. His transmission went down after 100k miles and he wants to get a Tesla now.
Driving with two eyes on a gimbal isn't as safe as 8 eyes with 360 vision.
This is so much fun 😊

OK, now we got a poll:

Agree or disagree.

I have to admit, I likely wouldn't buy a bot if it just did those things, not for $25K. I honestly enjoy doing little chores like those. I can see how many people would though.