Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's a student of history. From Wikipee:

The Latin phrase Vox populi, vox Dei (/ˌvɒks ˈpɒpjuːli ˌvɒks ˈdeɪi/), 'The voice of the people [is] the voice of God', is an old proverb.​
An early reference to the expression is in a letter from Alcuin to Charlemagne in 798. The full quotation from Alcuin: [quoted here]:​
"And those people should not be listened to who keep saying the voice of the people is the voice of God, since the riotousness of the crowd is always very close to madness."​
This passage indicates that already by the end of the eighth century the phrase had become an aphorism of political common wisdom. Writing in the early 12th century, William of Malmesbury refers to the saying as a "proverb".​
Of those who promoted the phrase and the idea, Archbishop of Canterbury Walter Reynolds brought charges against King Edward II in 1327 in a sermon "Vox populi, vox Dei".​

So this tweet could mean something like 'don't listen to the crowd'? Now whether that means wrt Ukraine or something else remains to be seen.

Cheers!
"The voice of the people [is] the voice of God" means Elon will complete on TWTR this Friday and be inducted as Hermes.

I have recently learned that in United Arabic Emirates the wait time for a new Tesla (Model 3/Y) is approximately a year and that the cars are exported from China. They have a very large backlog in UAE and Tesla's are extremely popular there.

Jan 23 to March 23 for default Model Y.

Before posting, realize we can just check the website...

What utter rubbish. Phone as Key works off BT. Not Wi-Fi.

Not quite correct, my 2016 build Model X doesn't use the phone as a key, but can use the app to unlock and start the car. But then that being said, I don't need wifi network for that, cellular connectivity is fine

I suppose there might be some parts of rural America where there's no cell signal, so could be an issue, but sounds very dodgy, agreed

Have to say that I love using my phone as the key for my wife's M3P, and that it knows it's me and adjust the seat, looking forward to my MX Plaid with he same

As the story notes- he was trying to use the app, not phone as key. Those are different things.

It also notes the age and model of his car isn't known, so his story is 100% possible on older models with no internet connectivity available.

Here's a whole thread about how this is entirely possible on an older S for example which never had BT phone as key- so wifi with the app was the ONLY option other than the fob.

Based it on the picture of the car in the article. Possibly an invalid hypothesis on my part. But I think the M3 has had Phone key since day 1 (my father’s ‘18 or ‘19 has it). Plus there’s the keycard which he might not have had with him.

What utter rubbish. Phone as Key works off BT. Not Wi-Fi.

He'll hear horror stories about his friend in a competitor's electric car getting stranded using 3rd party chargers and will continue to buy a Tesla.

???

I haven’t looked this up so I have no idea to what he is referring. But I take it as a positive sign that he is Tweeting obscure tweets today.

EDIT: book published in 1709 about right of kings and rights of people. Like I said, obscure.
The voice of the people is the voice of God (or dawg in my case)

Not quite correct, my 2016 build Model X doesn't use the phone as a key, but can use the app to unlock and start the car. But then that being said, I don't need wifi network for that, cellular connectivity is fine

I suppose there might be some parts of rural America where there's no cell signal, so could be an issue, but sounds very dodgy, agreed

Have to say that I love using my phone as the key for my wife's M3P, and that it knows it's me and adjust the seat, looking forward to my MX Plaid with he same
In this case its in a garage that goes deep underground (The DGA building in Los Angeles) So no signal there.

EDIT: Couple of facts from the video; It was an older model X, He went home and got a key card to open the car but still couldn't get it into Drive. (Implies there was something else wrong with the car)

Last edited:
1666205629295.png

Elon just likes giving me heartburn.

My Conservative Expectations for Q3 Earnings:

1) 4680 bottlenecks all solved, production rate of 100 gWh/yr by end of Q4. Tesla discovers it can use beach sand instead lithium so mineral bottlenecks eliminated

2) FSD Beta to be released worldwide by end of quarter, expected to up margins to > 35%. Robotaxis begin deploying in Q1 in San Francisco with sole purpose of blocking Cruise and Waymo cars.

3) Elon announces purchase of Twitter but also Tesla share buyback plan and personal share buyback. But also announces Kayne and Trump have gone missing to never return.

4) Cybertruck and Semi will reach volume production in Q1.

5) Musk announces he has successfully overthrown the Bolivian government for real this time, partly to secure mineral deposits near Lake Titicaca, but also partly so he gets to say "Titicaca" all the time.

6) All non-sold China made Tesla are purchased by the U.S. government, and sent autonomously to Crimea and clog the Kherson bridge. Russian soldiers are confused how to unlock the cars without WiFi, and promptly surrender.

Anything less and I'll be a bit disappointed.

Jan 23 to March 23 for default Model Y.

Before posting, realize we can just check the website...
I think I failed to conveyed the amount of excitement that there is in UAE for Tesla by people living in the country at various level. I have not seen a discussion on it on this thread. It is hard to estimate it from the wait time on the official website.

Why is this topic even in the investing thread?

Not to speak for the OP, but folks often post what they perceive as FUD stories in here.

Turns out though the OP misunderstood the capabilities (or lack thereof) on older Teslas and the original story is an entirely possible failure mode for those older Teslas.

This is fixed on newer ones for the reasons others have mentioned but there's no retrofitting the BT and NFC stuff on older vehicles.

You do what you do with any other car on the planet, you have a spare at home. Do you think Porsche or Mercedes have service people who fix this stuff remotely?

Some actually do... onstar can remote unlock your car for you for example. But of course the card would need to be able to get a signal- at which point the app would work too.

What kind of an idiot only has a single key fob as their sole way of getting into a car?

Do you mean ON him? Because there simply isn't another way, other than carrying two fobs on your person at all times.

I agree he ought have a spare at home though.

I know you didn’t drag this inappropriately into the main thread, but you feel compelled to defend a moron in it.

No, I feel compelled to correct folks misunderstandings about how older Teslas actually work and how the entry methods are much more limited than newer ones.

Or should we only correct tesla misinformation when it doesn't support a specific narrative?

Based it on the picture of the car in the article. Possibly an invalid hypothesis on my part. But I think the M3 has had Phone key since day 1 (my father’s ‘18 or ‘19 has it). Plus there’s the keycard which he might not have had with him.

The article notes that's just a random Tesla picture, not the actual car he had, and they don't know what year/model he has-- but every detail in the story fits an older S.

Older Model S has no keycard and no phone as key. At all. it's fob, or wifi/app.

Keycards only work with S/X made 2021 and newer