Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What utter rubbish. Phone as Key works off BT. Not Wi-Fi.

"Man Tries to Open Wrong White Model 3 in a Parking Garage."

Took him a day to locate the correct vehicle. Oh... I've totally been there! This happens.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ogre
Watching the tape has its moments - some day some time it'll rip - maybe not today - meanwhile makes for interesting watch while perusing possible actors' moves. MM's will do the best for themselves, if allowed to

TSLA.chart.221019.1514.jpg

Update: 4:08 pm did somebody leak some info or is it the usual gaming going on - no, t'was the release of Tesla 3Q IR .. didn't provide enough of a surprise up ... let's watch the ups and down now ..till next week

TSLA.chart.221019.1609.jpg

Last edited:
Does Tesla have a demand problem?

Overall, no, but it is slowing from "crazy, get it at any cost" demand to more "slight nudge and promotion needed" demand. Couple of examples overall and Tesla specific:
  • Overall used car prices drop 10%!!!
  • Telsa started offereing 2019 Tesla Model 3's with FSD fo $36,000.
  • Tesla has started to incentivize their leases (Model 3 for $499/month, Model Y for $789/month). In the past, loan and lease monthly payments were very similar. Now leases are significantly cheaper.
  • Tesla is bring back their referral program (Teslascope and others have found it in the App code).
Does this mean Tesla is doomed? Of course not. Does it mean they need to do some small things to spur demand with the impending recession looming? Definitely!
The thing is, Tesla CAN do this, margins are so good and continual cost-reductions mean they can drop prices, offer incentives, end up with bigger market share and ultimately more FCF and profits

This is what the goons don't understand

As the story notes- he was trying to use the app, not phone as key. Those are different things.

It also notes the age and model of his car isn't known, so his story is 100% possible on older models with no internet connectivity available.

Here's a whole thread about how this is entirely possible on an older S for example which never had BT phone as key- so wifi with the app was the ONLY option other than the fob.

App and car work with cellular just fine, not that many places left in the Western world where you drive a normal car and get no phone signal

"Man Tries to Open Wrong White Model 3 in a Parking Garage."

Took him a day to locate the correct vehicle. Oh... I've totally been there! This happens.
Apparently Tesla is now responsible for this sort of thing. Next: "I pulled into the wrong driveway and entered someone else's house and fell asleep in someone else's bed. When the police arrived I informed them I'd used Autopilot on the way home and I was still arrested. Called Tesla service from jail and they wouldn't bail me out. Never buying another Tesla."

The thing is, Tesla CAN do this, margins are so good and continual cost-reductions mean they can drop prices, offer incentives, end up with bigger market share and ultimately more FCF and profits

Had this convo today with a buddy who dabbles in TSLA. CNBC had him worried about demand. I just pointed out that they have massive margins and could drop prices if that was an issue, but they haven't dropped prices.

App and car work with cellular just fine, not that many places left in the Western world where you drive a normal car and get no phone signal

Come visit the western USA. I can find large swaths of hundreds of square miles for you with zero cell phone signal. All accessible by car on reasonable roads (not interstates).

The goons do understand this. The investment media works by gambling that casual investors don't do enough research... and take headlines and first few bullet points as the truth. Investors who really understand Tesla don't believe this nonsense, or fall for these games over and over and over. Example: articles about "demand problem" every three months? Come on.

Come visit the western USA. I can find large swaths of hundreds of square miles for you with zero cell phone signal. All accessible by car on reasonable roads (not interstates).

Yeah, until Starlink mini v1.5 is deployed. Then both your Tesla a your cell phone will get a signal in the middle of nowhere. It's handled, just gotta let the plan work. ;)

My Conservative Expectations for Q3 Earnings:

1) 4680 bottlenecks all solved, production rate of 100 gWh/yr by end of Q4. Tesla discovers it can use beach sand instead lithium so mineral bottlenecks eliminated

2) FSD Beta to be released worldwide by end of quarter, expected to up margins to > 35%. Robotaxis begin deploying in Q1 in San Francisco with sole purpose of blocking Cruise and Waymo cars.

3) Elon announces purchase of Twitter but also Tesla share buyback plan and personal share buyback. But also announces Kayne and Trump have gone missing to never return.

4) Cybertruck and Semi will reach volume production in Q1.

5) Musk announces he has successfully overthrown the Bolivian government for real this time, partly to secure mineral deposits near Lake Titicaca, but also partly so he gets to say "Titicaca" all the time.

6) All non-sold China made Tesla are purchased by the U.S. government, and sent autonomously to Crimea and clog the Kherson bridge. Russian soldiers are confused how to unlock the cars without WiFi, and promptly surrender.

Anything less and I'll be a bit disappointed.
7) Musk announces location for GF6 to be fully staffed by the fruit of his loins