Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Starship could have an orbital test soon but Elon is back in Bay Area.

How do you read this?
  • Final FSD bash to make sure it ships before end of year?
  • Optimus?
  • Dojo?
  • Kato road?
  • Some other things we don’t know?
Or, is it simply stating whenever he is in Bay Area he would be couch surfing?
Interesting question.

My initial read on it was Elon was not suggesting he was currently in SV, but that when he comes here, he crashes at friends' places rather than in his own home, since he doesn't own a home here.

It sounded ridiculous anyway. As if the US government is THAT incompetent. "Hey, who is this Elon Musk character we keep hearing about? Let's do some research on this mysterious nobody."
Makes it sound like they had not already done a national security review on the guy they keep giving classified satellite launch contracts to

Me - A single node Neural Net, unable to buy.
People were in a hurry to get their money in. That's fine, but this was the 3rd retest of the 52-wk low, and an important rejection of the $200 level (strong spike of volume at 10:20 to push it below, only lasted 10 min). Hugh volume today, whale feeding time. Overall, stop-loss orders (mostly Retail) were eagerly hoovered up by large funds (and likely MMs looking to recharge their inventory of TSLA).

TSLA.2022-10-24.10-25.Lo.png

OT, I saw something about a Neuralink demo coming on Halloween (Oct 31). Scary? Will the pigs talk to Optimus? :oops:
Neuralink's 'show & tell' delayed by one month, Elon Musk says | REUTERS (Oct 23, 2022)

Cheers!

It sounded ridiculous anyway. As if the US government is THAT incompetent. "Hey, who is this Elon Musk character we keep hearing about? Let's do some research on this mysterious nobody."

It’s doubly dumb because I’m pretty sure he already goes through constant security reviews for ITAR reasons wrt SpaceX.

… Elon is back in Bay Area.

How do you read this?
  • Optimus?
  • Dojo?
  • Kato road?

Sometimes the answer is right in front of you ;)

76ED134E-7FE6-46CF-B3FF-06BAF86158FC.jpeg

Close but not fully accurate. I think a better way to put it is Tesla wants to get the most number of cars on the road to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy.

I'm reaching a bit with the following statement but seeing Tesla's margins I actually believe they want to sell their cars at the highest price possible while simultaneously selling as many cars as they can possibly make.
Disagree. They need to make a certain amount of money for several reasons. It doesn’t do Tesla any good to sell their cars at lighter margins while they need to expand and R&D the crap out of stuff and, and, and. Additionally, Tesla has to be financially stable to withstand recessions and WS attacks and, and, and.

Agree, they want to get the most number of EVs on the road, but not at the expense of the company. Therefore, prices remain (relatively) high with gobs of margin until the next model down is ready for the people.

Starship could have an orbital test soon but Elon is back in Bay Area.

How do you read this?
  • Optimus?
  • Dojo?
  • Kato road?
My read: Almost bankwupt, he’s shaking friends couches now for loose change. He’s one of us now.

Disagree. They need to make a certain amount of money for several reasons. It doesn’t do Tesla any good to sell their cars at lighter margins while they need to expand and R&D the crap out of stuff and, and, and. Additionally, Tesla has to be financially stable to withstand recessions and WS attacks and, and, and.

Agree, they want to get the most number of EVs on the road, but not at the expense of the company. Therefore, prices remain (relatively) high with gobs of margin until the next model down is ready for the people.
Very good points, Tesla is a profitable business and they need to keep it that way (and most on here, including me, are betting they do with skin in the game).

I think we are saying very similar things with some nuance.

I've been of the opinion that Elon is truly done selling and won't need more cash to close the deal. So IMO, he didn't sell today.
Early pre-market price movement w. heavy volume supports this notion. This was a combination of hedgies jumping on the China price cuts, trying to force their narrative "when in jeopardy, attack" and China macros:

TSLA.2022-10-24.04-26.Lo.png

The SP dropped $2 in the 5 minutes before the Open. That wasn't Elon selling, either. The plunge to $200 took 4 attempts before that level finally broke at 10:25 a.m. It was then followed by strong support and heavy buying as the stop losses were quickly hoovered up. This has the fingerprints of hedgies all over it.

But I will also point out that every time I've seen someone here say it feels like Elon might be selling, it is indeed Elon selling.
It can be both, as hedgies love to front run the events they expect. That's how Elon selling $7B in shares can knock $100B off the Mkt Cap.

It’s doubly dumb because I’m pretty sure he already goes through constant security reviews for ITAR reasons wrt SpaceX.
And triply so because the US government back in June invoked the Defense Production Act as authorization for executive orders accelerating domestic production of renewable energy products on the basis that these are now considered critical for national security.

“President Biden has invoked the Defense Production Act so that the U.S. can take ownership of its clean energy independence,” said U.S. Secretary of Energy Jennifer M. Granholm. “For too long the nation’s clean energy supply chain has been over-reliant on foreign sources and adversarial nations. With the new DPA authority, DOE can help strengthen domestic solar, heat pump and grid manufacturing industries while fortifying America’s economic security and creating good-paying jobs, and lowering utility costs along the way.”

“Reducing America’s dependence on gas and oil is critical to U.S. national security,” said Deputy Secretary of Defense Dr. Kathleen Hicks. “In conflict, fossil fuel supply lines are especially vulnerable. The actions President Biden announced today will help strengthen our supply chains and ensure that the United States is a leader in producing the energy technologies that are essential to our future success. They will also help accelerate DoD’s transition toward clean energy technologies that can help strengthen military capability while creating good jobs for American workers.”