Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla making huge profits directly contributes to the speed of transition to sustainable energy and broader environmental sustainability. Suppose that in a few years Tesla reaches the $5T market cap Elon was mentioning on the call last week, thereby becoming by far the #1 company by market cap of all time.

Wouldn't that radically change the conversation globally around sustainable energy?​
Wouldn't it prove, once and for all, to policymakers and to the general populace that continued investments in oil & gas are a waste of money and time and that transitioning to renewables is actually going to boost economic productivity instead of crashing us back into the dark ages to satisfy naive idealistic hippies, communists and treehuggers who don't know how to read a balance sheet and cash flow statement?​
Wouldn't it give people hope not to give up on the future of the planet?​
Wouldn't it send a clear signal with bright flashing lights to mining companies and governments that it's time to majorly accelerate extraction of key minerals and that at least one customer is going to be able and willing to pay for any raw material they can possibly supply?​
Wouldn't it send a signal to all other companies and entrepreneurs that this is actually a better way of running a business and send ripple effects throughout all of global commerce as people start to attempt to copy Tesla's practices in the hope of achieving a similar degree of success?​
Wouldn't it give Tesla staggering amounts of capital to work on solving other giant environmental crises like pollution, topsoil erosion, invasive species, collapsing biodiversity, trash and microplastics in the oceans? Tesla Motors started with a plan to make a simple retrofit of a Lotus Elise to show the car companies that cool, high-performance EVs could be made with Li-ion batteries. Then the plan expanded into making the Model S. Then it expanded again into making a whole lineup of cars. Then they acquired Solar City to get into solar. Then they added a stationary storage business and trucking and autonomous driving. Then cell manufacturing, mining and refining to accelerate battery supply growth. Then another side quest into artificial general intelligence.​
Given this track record and company ethos, do we really believe Tesla is just going to solve the energy portion of the environmental problem, cut prices, return all capital to shareholders and stop there? I mean, are they just going to pat themselves on the back like "Welp, mission accomplished! Good job, team! Our work here is done." while the biosphere is falling apart? I don't think so, and the reality is that we will need a gigantic treasure chest filled with trillions upon trillions of dollars to pay for accomplishing all this in the required timeframe instead of waiting for our governments to get the job done while the planet burns.​

Money makes the world go around, for better or for worse. In the case of Tesla, for the better. Tesla's profitability and market cap being as high as possible is extremely important to everyone's future, whether they're invested in TSLA or not.

Last edited:
Makes it sound like they had not already done a national security review on the guy they keep giving classified satellite launch contracts to
Lol. In my NASA career we launched some DoD payloads on the Shuttle. No one involved with the mission planning did NOT have a security clearance.

Elon is fine.

Tesla making huge profits directly contributes to the speed of transition to sustainable energy and broader environmental sustainability. Suppose that in a few years Tesla reaches the $5T market cap Elon was mentioning on the call last week, thereby becoming by far the #1 company by market cap of all time.

Wouldn't that radically change the conversation globally around sustainable energy?​
Wouldn't it prove, once and for all, to policymakers and to the general populace that continued investments in oil & gas are a waste of money and time and that transitioning to renewables is actually going to boost economic productivity instead of crashing us back into the dark ages to satisfy naive idealistic hippies, communists and treehuggers who don't know how to read a 10-Q?​
Wouldn't it give people hope not to give up on the future of the planet?​
Wouldn't it send a clear signal with bright flashing lights to mining companies and governments that it's time to majorly accelerate extraction of key minerals and that at least one customer is going to be able and willing to pay for any raw material they can possibly supply?​
Wouldn't that give Tesla staggering amounts of capital to work on solving other giant environmental crises like invasive species, collapsing biodiversity, trash and microplastics in the oceans, and a bunch of other problems I'm sure Elon and crew are thinking about for the long-term? Do we really believe Tesla is just going to solve the energy portion of the problem and stop there? The reality is that we need a huge multi-trillion-dollar treasure chest to pay for accomplishing all this in the required timeframe.​
Wouldn't it send a signal to all other companies and entrepreneurs that this is actually a better way of running a business and send ripple effects throughout all of global commerce as people start to attempt to copy Tesla's practices?​

Money makes the world go around, for better or for worse. In the case of Tesla, for the better. Tesla's profitability and market cap being as high as possible is extremely important to everyone's future, whether they're invested in TSLA or not.
You are thinking way too logically!

Wouldn't a compressing P/E that is below 100 on a company that is growing at about 50% per year make the stock price go up?

Apparently Tesla was only a good bet when it was losing money, now that it is making money hand over fist everyone wants to sell the stock.

Sell low, buy high… 🤔

Good luck to you
I think he means he moved it earlier? If not then damn that's bad portfolio management. You need to sell stocks that are down to buy stocks that are down more like Sell TSLA to buy BABA if you wanted to get out of TSLA into another stock you like (This is just a RANDOM example ok guys). Not sell TSLA down 37 and buy SGML up 300% lol. That's a good way to ride the elevator down twice.

Has anyone seen definitive answers regarding Teslas smoking/burning because of floods?

Had a discussion in a bar….
Very few cases, not even sure if there are any definitive cases vs just speculation. And it's only salt water meaning from storm surges where most Americans don't have to worry about. Salt water is very corrosive and destroys any car it floods including ICE.

This line sums it all up quite nicely...y'know what they say about assumptions?

"Toyota's planning had assumed demand for EVs would not take off for several decades, the four people said."
OT OT OT OT

@Discoducky
decades!!!???

Does no one anymore remember CalCars, Felix Kramer and Ron Gremben, who started converting Prius to plugins back in ==>>2004, almost ==>20<== years ago!

They were making a lot of noise, and converting (and hacking) Prii, and small companies were doing same
(a Prii, btw, is an excellent 50Kw generator you can tap 2-3Kw from and its designed to run a very long time in a pinch)

Toyota was _well_ aware of this also

-----------snip-----------------

1666653761619.png

Has anyone seen definitive answers regarding Teslas smoking/burning because of floods?

I have an electrical engineering degree so maybe I can answer this. Electricity and water are a dangerous combination, because it can lead to short circuits and thermal runaway.

Have you ever wondered why Tesla only sells cars in California? It's because it's nice and dry there, so it's not too inconvenient to leave your car safely stored in the garage a couple times per year when it rains.

Here in Seattle, there are many California transplants who brought their Teslas with them, not realizing how much it rains. I frequently see Teslas bursting into flames in the winter rainy season and the homeless folks huddle around the bonfires for warmth.

Last edited:

FUD as far as I can tell.

Saltwater flooding can cause electrical shorts. In the case of EVs or Teslas, assuming no specific damage to the pack it's likely the 12v battery was the cause of any fires...just like what can happen to ICE vehicles.

Not to mention "might burn if totaled after a hurricane" is probably the dumbest reason possible to not buy an EV.

FUD as far as I can tell.

Saltwater flooding can cause electrical shorts. In the case of EVs or Teslas, assuming no specific damage to the pack it's likely the 12v battery was the cause of any fires...just like what can happen to ICE vehicles.

Not to mention "might burn if totaled after a hurricane" is probably the dumbest reason possible to not buy an EV.
IIRC, this is where this started, back in the day...

In all seriousness I'm pretty sure Tesla has the battery pack hermetically sealed to prevent any moisture ingress. I don't know to what extent it can resist full-blown submersion in a flood, but the interior of the car is probably going to be disgusting anyway if the car is swimming in hurricane storm surge.
Rich Rebuilds has opened up at least 2 flooded packs and found moisture/water inside. These were older cars so newer designs may be different.

10/24/2022​
DirectionTickerCompany Name
Shares Traded | % of Total ETF​
BuyTSLATESLA INC
10,821 | 0.2502​
BuyRKLBROCKET LAB USA INC
63,831 | 0.0298​
SellESLTELBIT SYSTEMS LTD
1,145 | 0.0259​
SellIRDMIRIDIUM COMMUNICATIONS INC
20,461 | 0.1087​
SellAVAVAEROVIRONMENT INC
23,419 | 0.2157​
SellLMTLOCKHEED MARTIN CORP
4,812 | 0.2447​

I don't know about the rest of you but i am really tired of hearing about Musk and Twitter .... this week can not end soon enough ... but wait that likely wont be the end of the Twitter overhang :
Option 1) Musk completes Twitter purchase ,endless stream of BS about how he is destroying Twitter as an evil owner.... bad for TSLA, 70% chance
Option2) Musk lets it go trial ... endless stream of BS about the trial ....then he has to buy Twitter... see option 1... bad for TSLA, 25% chance
Option 3) Musk pays a breakup fee by some miracle and walks away ... good for TSLA, 5% chance

please someone walk me off the ledge .... the only negative that goes away by Friday if Musk buys Twitter is him selling TSLA stock in the short term ...we are looking at many more months of FUD and media distractions for the 2 likely scenarios ,I am not saying Elon will be distracted but by association TSLA may remain in a funk

usually the FUD against Tesla and Elon is just that FUD ... but with Twitter purchase it is not FUD it was a unforced error that is possibly harming Tesla the business over a sustained period

when Elon takes on big auto and big oil the media can in theory go either way ... when he takes on another media company it only goes one way Musk is the pariah.

i know there is a thread for this .. but for reason this is hitting me as a real potentially significant risk for TSLA ... tell why i am wrong please !!!!

Edit : silver lining is prolonged buying opportunity o_O