Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That prediction didn’t age well. TSLA ended the day down -0.43%, better than Nasdaq (-1.03%) and S&P 500 (-0.75%). So Elon’s tweets, which caused a complete meltdown on TMC this weekend, seem to have had no effect on the stock price at all.
We don't know that. Stock could have gone higher if not for Elon's antics. There is going to be an overhang on the stock if enough people are concerned that the CEO is acting like a loon.

We don't know that. Stock could have gone higher if not for Elon's antics. There is going to be an overhang on the stock if enough people are concerned that the CEO is acting like a loon.
Agreed. Without A/B testing or far more data than we’ll ever actually have, we only know the outcome of what *did* happen, not the outcome of what might have been. Perhaps without controversial tweets TSLA would be higher right now, or perhaps TSLA might be lower, or perhaps virtually the same. Here’s hoping for no controversial tweets before tomorrow and a +$10 share jump, which again won’t prove anything but would be both refreshingly relaxing and highly profitable. :)

I believe it is $10/mth or $100 for a year.

At a minimum, you get music, entertainment, traffic data for navigation. It's a must have.

FWIW you get traffic data either way--- premium is needed for it to show the traffic colors on the screen, but the nav uses that data for routing even without it.

Overall details are here:

Also note you can get nearly everything premium gives you for "free" if you tether the car to your phone (and don't have data overages to deal with on your cell plan)- the exceptions are: traffic visualization, satellite view of maps, and live sentry cam viewing.

Based on what other car makers charge for connectivity, and a rough idea of what AT&T charges for wholesale cell service, this is likely not going to have a huge profit margin for Tesla at $10/mo (or less yearly), but since the HW is already there it's still "free" money even if it's not super substantial compared to say an FSD subscription.

Elon Musk has pulled more than 50 Tesla employees into his Twitter takeover

(Warning: above is a CNBC / Lora Kolodny link)

“Among the dozens who Elon Musk enlisted specifically from Tesla are: Director of Software Development Ashok Elluswamy, Director of Autopilot and TeslaBot Engineering Milan Kovac, Senior Director of Software Engineering Maha Virduhagiri, a Senior Staff Technical Program Manager Pete Scheutzow, and Jake Nocon, who is part of Tesla’s surveillance unit, as a senior manager of security intelligence.

It is not immediately clear how Tesla employees are expected to split their schedules between the automaker and Twitter.
Typically, when Tesla employees work for other Elon Musk ventures, usually SpaceX or the Boring Company, they can get paid by the other venture as a consultant. Some of Musk’s employees have full-time roles at more than one of his businesses. For example, Tesla Vice President of Materials Charlie Kuehmann, is also concurrently a Vice President at SpaceX.

Other times, two Tesla employees told CNBC, Tesla workers are pressured to help with projects at his other companies for no additional pay because it’s good for their careers, or because the work is seen as helping with a related party transaction or project”
I think there’s no way in hell that Elon is pulling top AI folks from the FSD team for Twitter. No way.

Has anyone heard/ followed a start up out of Mesa Arizona called Atlas Motors (AVM)? Seems that this start up has an order for 19000 trucks for delivery to Australia to a company called AUSEV, a division of BOSSCAP.
Our Dr was talking about this today….
Delivery is still out a few years? Also they are talking about the battery pack voltage at 1600…..
Seems that they are going for 3/4 ton and up truck/chassis for industry.

That prediction didn’t age well. TSLA ended the day down -0.43%, better than Nasdaq (-1.03%) and S&P 500 (-0.75%). So Elon’s tweets, which caused a complete meltdown on TMC this weekend, seem to have had no effect on the stock price at all.

An online poll today with well over a million participants is showing an 80% favorability rating.

Maybe being buried 24/7 in news about Elon, his companies and his every tweet is clouding our judgment about how he is perceived by the outside world. Our media bubbles and social bubbles, which for most of us probably lean to the left, may not provide a realistic and balanced view of the general public opinion.

Having financial exposure to the fate of Tesla probably does not help.
I would agree with you that discussion here does not at all capture the sentiment of general public opinion (in both directions), and would also add that it doesn’t capture Wall Street opinion either. Wall Street also does not grasp general public sentiment on Tesla well, which is why the FUD stories no longer seem to have much, if any, impact on the stock price past the initial instant algo driven selling.

When it comes to Elon shenanigans, I don’t expect them to have any day to day influence over the stock price.

The main area for concern in his behavior (for me at least, won’t speak for others) is how the constantly repeated incidents are likely reinforcing a negative brand perception for Elon, and by association harming the brand for the companies he runs/owns. Most people ignore/forgive one off incidents, but repeated incidents, and the reporting of them, is propaganda 101 in how to create permanent impressions. One only has to look at Kanye to see how repeated incidents add up to a breaking point. Only idiotic zealot fans defend Kanye now.

To be clear, I don’t think it is at all a near term or even a medium term risk for Tesla as the massive structural shift from ICE to EVs is only of course accelerating this decade, and Tesla is undoubtedly going to be the biggest winner from that alone, and has multiple other massive opportunities that we all know about (energy, FSD, Optimus, etc).

What is perhaps the more interesting question is can an “Elon Premium“ on a company valuation turn into an “Elon Discount”?

Last edited:
You know what else we don't know?

That the stock is down because of Elon's behavior.

What we do know is that Tesla wouldn't be the company it is if Musk weren't at the helm.

I think there’s no way in hell that Elon is pulling top AI folks from the FSD team for Twitter. No way.
Why not? Would make sense that Elon would want the smartest Software engineers he has working at twitter this week. It would be detrimental for Tesla if it was permanent move, but I don’t think that is being alleged here - it is temporary.

Would be rather inappropriate and a conflict of interest if Elon raided the top Tesla talent to permanently work solely at Twitter, but if it is only temporary or people adding a new dual role at two companies, that could be beneficial for Tesla long term.

Tesla already receives benefits of cross-employment from Space-X software & metallurgy teams, Twitter may provide the same benefit as well for a little upfront disruption.

Two years and no progress??!?!?

We have two new Giga factories up and ramping. Production rate at both Fremont and Shanghai are at all time highs. EPS is up 18X. Revenues are up 165%. Car production is up 180%. 4680 production is active and ramping. Cybertruck is about to go into production. Semi goes into production next month. Optimus is now in development. FSD Beta is better than ever and improving rapidly, AND about to go into wide release.

Two years and no progress? If you believe that then you are not paying attention to the important things about Tesla. This company is stronger than ever, it's future is brighter than ever, it's financials are better than I could have hoped for at this stage.

The positive progress over two years has been astounding, in my opinion.
Sorry I think you misunderstood my post. Taken out of context with the blurb you took it might look like one way but I was actually talking about the way the stock has traded over the 2 years and why fund managers are not eager to get into the stock. I was talking about Elon's behaviour, antics and it's correlation to the stock price. Nothing to do with the company at all.

Obviously, he’s referencing the SP progress. As an *investor* he’s disappointed that the SP hasn’t increased another 1000%.

We could explain to him about the many years before, long base, heavy shorting, blatant attempts at destruction, big rise, blah, blah, blah. And you’ve done a wonderful job explaining what’s happened with the company the last two years. But honestly, are we even convinced he’s here to know any of it given his membership join date? Like wouldn’t he have started by reading through the forum archives if he was a serious *investor*?
Yes I Was referencing the SP.

The rest is wrong. You seem to be a little unsettled there. Too defensive. Makes you sound a bit off.

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
Not so fast....

1667261761104.png

Guess he'll be right one way or another:

1667261868584.png

There is no question that the stock would be higher now if he had never started with the Twitter takeover bid and all the ensuing drama including his latest ill advised Tweet. Compounding errors add up.
No, we do not.

Its been a really bad year for the market in general and there have been a dozen other things pulling at the stock. We don’t “know” one way or the other what effect a series of things which don’t relate directly to Teslas business had on the stock.

You have a theory. There is no way to test it or even quantify it. It’s just a hypothetical.

There is no question that the stock would be higher now if he had never started with the Twitter takeover bid and all the ensuing drama including his latest ill advised Tweet. Compounding errors add up.
Yes, that is what I Was trying to say with some of my previous posts. I am talking about share price only. I am not speaking about the companies fundamentals.

The SP500 is back to where it was when TSLA was trading at 300+ And well TSLA isn't $300 right now is it? There is a 25% Difference in the stock price compared to the index performance. That is a big difference to try to brush off as "it has nothing to do with Elon".

No, we do not.

Its been a really bad year for the market in general and there have been a dozen other things pulling at the stock. We don’t “know” one way or the other what effect a series of things which don’t relate directly to Teslas business had on the stock.

You have a theory. There is no way to test it or even quantify it. It’s just a hypothetical.
Well you can just compare it with the index right? You say it's a bad year for the market but the market is up in October while TSLA is down.

It's a pretty sound theory that the CEO selling large amounts of shares to buy an unrelated company and Tweeting what many would consider rather questionable things could cause investors to lose confidence. That could lead to selling and/or reluctance to buy. I'm an example of both where in the past I would have been buying a dip aggressively. I know I'm not alone in this.

Elon Musk has pulled more than 50 Tesla employees into his Twitter takeover

(Warning: above is a CNBC / Lora Kolodny link)

“Among the dozens who Elon Musk enlisted specifically from Tesla are: Director of Software Development Ashok Elluswamy, Director of Autopilot and TeslaBot Engineering Milan Kovac, Senior Director of Software Engineering Maha Virduhagiri, a Senior Staff Technical Program Manager Pete Scheutzow, and Jake Nocon, who is part of Tesla’s surveillance unit, as a senior manager of security intelligence.

It is not immediately clear how Tesla employees are expected to split their schedules between the automaker and Twitter.
Typically, when Tesla employees work for other Elon Musk ventures, usually SpaceX or the Boring Company, they can get paid by the other venture as a consultant. Some of Musk’s employees have full-time roles at more than one of his businesses. For example, Tesla Vice President of Materials Charlie Kuehmann, is also concurrently a Vice President at SpaceX.

Other times, two Tesla employees told CNBC, Tesla workers are pressured to help with projects at his other companies for no additional pay because it’s good for their careers, or because the work is seen as helping with a related party transaction or project”
Even if this is true, it is not big deal, in fact it is a standard operating practise that many use.

What Elon is doing is finding out what exactly is happening at Twitter, the state of the code, who is doing useful work, who knows what they are doing, who makes a useful contribution. In other words get the facts from people Elon can trust.

Any senior staff that work on important projects at Tesla will have a brief stay, and may visit for brief further reviews on a regular basis.

They will not be working extra hours (but they probably already work long hours), it is just a brief interesting diversion from their normal work.

The journalist thinks the split of staff time between Tesla and Twitter is news, but it isn't important. Technically if the Tesla staff are consulting at Twitter, Tesla should be paid a suitable amount by Twitter. If the time at Twitter impacted on their ability to do their normal work at Tesla it would be relevant, but the type if review I expect that they are doing at Twitter is not that time consuming.

This story is surfacing for 2 reasons:-
  1. Journalists are desperate to find something negative to write about Elon and twitter.
  2. Twitter staff don't like experts looking over their shoulder.
Once they identify where additional competencies are needed I expect Twitter will hire additional staff, and any current staff would are not making a meaningful contribution will not last long.

Some Twitter staff probably know that they don't contribute much, and hope that bleating to the media may ensure that they can keep their job.

The flip side is it will not be hard to find motivated quality people in the existing pool of staff at Twitter, and empower them to contribute a lot more.

It is important to establish very early on that technical staff can't afford to relay incomplete, inaccurate or misleading information to management, and if they try that, they will be found out.

Why not? Would make sense that Elon would want the smartest Software engineers he has working at twitter this week. It would be detrimental for Tesla if it was permanent move, but I don’t think that is being alleged here - it is temporary.

Would be rather inappropriate and a conflict of interest if Elon raided the top Tesla talent to permanently work solely at Twitter, but if it is only temporary or people adding a new dual role at two companies, that could be beneficial for Tesla long term.

Tesla already receives benefits of cross-employment from Space-X software & metallurgy teams, Twitter may provide the same benefit as well for a little upfront disruption.
Not saying it’s impossible, but as a shareholder I’d be pretty pissed if he’s doing that. I hope he’s not. We all own part of the company as shareholders, and I expect Tesla’s talent to be doing work that brings value to Tesla and TSLA.

IMO it would be wrong and immoral to appoint key employees of a public company to a private enterprise that profits only Elon unless Tesla were to get significant benefit from the deal—and sorry, but I don’t see Tesla benefitting from Twitter at all.

The people named are leads on a very difficult project with demanding timelines. Ashok et al need to be on the hard, important problems.

Also, I don’t trust a damn thing out of Kolodny or CNBC’s mouths.

... Not 100% sure whether my post belongs here or in the Twitter thread. It’s a response to a post in the main thread which I left there this morning and it’s partly about the stock price, but an argument could be made that it’s too much about Elon’s tweets. Maybe I should ask a mod. :oops:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quinam? Welllllllllll....

EGO sum vox clamantis in deserto.🤣

It's a pretty sound theory that the CEO selling large amounts of shares to buy an unrelated company and Tweeting what many would consider rather questionable things could cause investors to lose confidence. That could lead to selling and/or reluctance to buy. I'm an example of both where in the past I would have been buying a dip aggressively. I know I'm not alone in this.
That was months ago.

How much impact does that have on **today's** share price?

5%? 10%? 20%? 50%?

Please show your math.

Reactions: WarpedOne