Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's behavior has also eclipsed the once stellar Tesla brand. Instead of conjuring the image of high tech electric vehicles, Tesla is now about Elon and his antics. Many friends (including my wife) will not buy a Tesla any longer.

My wife's eTron GT is also making me rethink the value proposition of Tesla for the high end market.

Own those right wingers by purchasing a car produced by a company that was literally founded by Adolph Hitler.

The extremely online woke left is a tiny portion of the populace. My wife is no where near that and this morning after I got back from a trip to Texas she said no more investing in Tesla. After the tweeting of a conspiracy theory website and no apology she thinks Elon is unstable and isnt comfortable with putting more $ in until she sees stability and sanity.
She could wait a long time to see stability!

I made the mistake once of pulling my money out of TSLA after a Musk mis-tweet. That cost me dearly.

Musk is deeply flawed. And incredibly talented. The flaws are a risk factor, but a remote one. The incredible talent is responsible for one of the greatest investment opportunities of our lifetime.

That didn't age well. How can you live like that?

Screenshot 2022-11-01 at 9.51.58 AM.png

I made the mistake once of pulling my money out of TSLA after a Musk mis-tweet. That cost me dearly.

Musk is deeply flawed. And incredibly talented. The flaws are a risk factor, but a remote one. The incredible talent is responsible for one of the greatest investment opportunities of our lifetime.
And he is putting that in harms way. When Tesla going after a small addressable market opportunity (based on prices of vehicles) it doesn't matter as much. When Tesla is going for 20M cars per year it will have a bigger impact. Being thought of as a crazy right wing troll who posts anything from nutjob conspiracy sites hurts that growth as the addressable market grows. Supporters that support Elon no matter what he does/says hurts not helps the stock and the company. Elon should learn to apologize for things, not just delete them. Deleting a post isn't an apology it is hiding guilt.

Whilst I find the whole colony on Mars thing immensely interesting as an engineering challenge, I just don't really get it. The place is dead and can only sustain life lived in a sealed bubble. You can't terraform it either as its in the wrong place, and it has no active core so any atmosphere you did create will just drift off and it'll end up back as a dead planet! Happy to be told why I'm really wrong on that one, maybe via pm as this is off topic!

Pretend for a moment that you are a dinosaur. Next, pretend that a large asteroid (volcano, plague, or, similar event that wipes out life, globally) hits the Earth and kills you and all your cousins.

Now, imagine, what if you had established a fully-functional, self-sustaining presence on another planet that wasn't hit by the asteroid?

Dinosaurs would still be alive.

Now, extrapolate that to you pretending that you are a human and repeat the exercise. The only way to assure that the delicate existence of the Human race continues is to establish a permanent presence in space. Mars is the best neighborhood for us to begin that expansion.

Last edited:
However (I never meant to write that word after the above sentence, but)....
I sat down this Sunday with an older couple I happen to know. They have been driving a Model S for years and love the car.
He is one of Switzerland's most respected foreign relations diplomats. He teaches policy students as a professor emeritus at two universities in Switzerland.
He said if Elon doesn't get his act together, he's going to have to look for another electric car brand the next time he buys a car - and his point was the piece about Ukraine.

It would really, really help if Elon would stop spreading misleading or ambiguous posts.

I still love him, but sometimes I have a hard time defending him.
I hope you pointed out that all those Starlink systems gifted to Ukraine didn't just appear out of thin air?? And I'd love to know what your diplomat friend's reply might have been?

Whilst I find the whole colony on Mars thing immensely interesting as an engineering challenge, I just don't really get it. The place is dead and can only sustain life lived in a sealed bubble. You can't terraform it either as its in the wrong place, and it has no active core so any atmosphere you did create will just drift off and it'll end up back as a dead planet! Happy to be told why I'm really wrong on that one, maybe via pm as this is off topic!
paging @KarenRei

is it a big deal if employees/resources are shared across companies for special projects.
elon has mentioned a bit of this in the past and nobody seemed surprised, in fact they lauded the ability to do so.

but now since it’s twitter it’s a surprise? or even a problem? i don’t get it.

The poster I was replying to claimed this was a standard practice in general- not just a thing Elon is known for doing.

I don't believe that's correct so asked them to cite any OTHER CEOs in similar positions who do this, which they haven't thus far- and that instead it's something pretty specific to Elon-- hence why it might be reported as an unusual thing in general- because it is.

I think there's fair arguments to be made about it being a good thing or a bad thing-- but not that it's a standard or common one.

ANYONE that thinks FSD won't happen needs to watch a Falcon Heavy launch AND landing.

Would have taken NASA 20 more years to hit that level.

But SpaceX uses LIDAR :p

I know this might be crazy, but back in the before times you could like, respect, or be friends with a person without having to agree or endorse everything they’ve ever done. People hired dentists and plumbers who did the best job and not the closest voting record... It was madness

Elon's behavior has also eclipsed the once stellar Tesla brand. Instead of conjuring the image of high tech electric vehicles, Tesla is now about Elon and his antics. Many friends (including my wife) will not buy a Tesla any longer.

My wife's eTron GT is also making me rethink the value proposition of Tesla for the high end market.
And all of my friends and spouse will. Yeah, that’s nothing more than a tit for tat comment but it reveals that there’s a lot more to see than a spouse and circle of friends - all of which btw are exchangeable. 😉

Just yesterday a couple I’ve recently gotten to know were working near my car. I asked them if the car was in the way and then whipped out my phone and summoned the car. Blew their minds. They’ve asked one question about Elon and I don’t even remember what it was - that’s how mundane it was. Nobody within a hundred miles of The Mountain partakes in social media to any degree, not even the kids. Everyone is too busy living life. I suggest that others who find themselves so absorbed in it (media, social or otherwise), take a step back, and also concentrate a bit more on living their lives.

Last edited: