Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, because as soon as (many) people buy a single share, they suddenly think they have a right to be judge, jury and executioner without actually having lifted a finger to do the hard work that was involved in bringing the company into a profitable existence and the SP to rise and reward them. Basically, people are ungrateful, walking cesspools of destruction and I’d rather they sell, move along, and go pick on a worthier (needs the criticism) cause. This man and company is not it.
Please identify those with a single share. :)

wbmstvt1jdx91.jpg

Not sure we have to massage numbers to make them look better tho, if wishes were fishes etc.

?
When shorts cover the stock goes up
I'm afraid it is not that simple. It used to be when the market was a zero-sum game. Due to the manipulators ability to short shares that don't exist (Madoff exemption) and do it on down-ticks (removal of uptick rule), many shorts can now be covered with the stock price down. One of the main reasons why HODLing is the only way to beat these shenanigans.

Not sure we have to massage numbers to make them look better tho, if wishes were fishes etc.
doesn't matter if it is helping or hurting, you exclude it because it's not recurring.

You can't tell if it will be better, worse, or the same in the future so you exclude it because it's not controllable by the company you are analyzing.

So why call it "massaging to make them look better", why not call it "excluding Foreign eXchange"?

The power of Tesla. Listening to Lex interview Karpathy, Karpathy says “If you were to propose building a million Tesla Bots and you weren’t Tesla, it would be a lot to ask, but for Tesla, it’s not that crazy“. Basically he is saying that a LOT of AI technology and manufacturing at scale expertise transfers over.

Edit: Karpathy also said it was fascinating to watch that the day after Elon said it was time to build a Teslabot, all of a sudden you had all these Tesla engineers showing up talking about supply chains, making hardware prototypes, wrenches in hand.

Last edited:
My day job involves interacting with a fair number of truck drivers. Many of them are long-haul and over the road, some are delivery drivers with 300-500 mile days being typical. Nearly universally, after a brief summation of the advantages of the EV platforms they have one strong belief; skepticism. None of them believe that Tesla will achieve the range, recharge times, payload, or reliability stated. The same few questions keep arising, which to be fair, are legitimate.

"Where will I charge?"
"Who will do maintenance/repairs?"
"Ok, so what is the REAL world range?"
etc.

It is broad pessimism and skepticism of the ability of Tesla to execute that pervades the OTR community. The location of (and powering of) the Semi-charger, the actual loaded ranges, the price for charging, the maintenance costs, and all of the little real-world issues that will crop up outside of warm-weather climates need to be uncovered and solved before massive scaling can begin.

The scaling to 100,000+ per year needs a test phase to be de-risked. Tesla did this with low production S for several years before the mass produced 3 and Y platforms were revealed. I suspect that the 50,000 2024 production number that was mentioned in the last earnings call will turn out to be extremely optimistic.

Lastly, while the drivers are not believers, they all had widened eyes when describing the savings in fuel costs (probably more than half) the maintenance savings (no engine, transmission, DEF/exhaust system, minimal brake wear, etc). Many of these drivers are hit routinely with multi-thousand and up to $60,000 bills for repairs. If Tesla manages the ramp-up and these things hit the road and keep the promises, drivers will flock to them. Demand will soar.

As SMR says, the more Teslas Tesla sells, the more Teslas Tesla sells.
Semi’s market is initially going to be fleet operators, not owner operators. Fleets will build their own mega chargers, so that won’t be a problem. They’ll be used in specific use cases, like for transporting manufactured goods from a factory to a distribution warehouse, both end points possibly having mega chargers. General freeway mega chargers will be built, but it’ll be a longer process.

The IRA is a breathtaking piece of government industrial policy. It impacts domestic mining and manufacturing, free trade agreements, and international trade in general because it is seen by non-free trade partners (like the EU!) as hugely protectionist, and thus maybe even illegal under international trade rules.

Its implementation may very well launch a trade war.

Even if modified, I suspect it will have a big impact on domestic manufacturing - mining is unknown because the other branches of the federal government, like the EPA, might continue to bog that sector down.

Also of interest is the government's $2.8 billion Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. If you look at the 19 or so companies it showered $50M++ grants onto, most of them are moonshot battery technology stuff. These are mostly lab scale battery materials companies where 1 in 10 will graduate to economic industrial scale manufacturing. Many are private that are being funded by VCs. I mean, god bless the government for taking such risks, but wow, these are very early stage companies to shower with such large grants.

If the US doesn't end up with a quantum leap in battery technology from all this, you can't say the feds didn't try.
As I predicted, the EU is having heartburn over the IRA. They are now negotiating with the US. Hopefully something good will come out of this. Dare I hope for a free trade agreement with the US? Or am I being delusional?

Could always be better, but this trend of beating the nasdaq is something to be happy about.
Let the money migration to Tesla begin. In addition to the obvious oil and gas entities, overpriced MAANG is losing market favour (favor for my US friends). I expect this downward trend to continue for MAANG.

Today alone, market capital lost by MAANG was $151.1B. That capital needs to find a new home in a innovative, environmentally friendly, high growth company that shows no signs of slowing.

Today's Market Cap $
META +$5.6B (dead cat bounce as expected after a 41% decline for the past week, trending lower in AH)
AAPL -$43.0B
AMZN -$57.6B
NF -$2.3B
GOOG -$53.8B

Edit: Keep forgetting Facebook changed its name to Meta and is doing some metaverse thingamajig. Corrected above.

Last edited:
For those of you small or larger business owners, I was successfully able to add:
BPTIX BARON PARTNERS INST to my 401k lineup at my office.
I wish I would have done the research before, since I have wanted to buy and give my employees the opportunity to buy a large chunk of Tesla in our 401k.
The bonus of this fund is that you also get SpaceX in the same fund.
It's usually tough to get SpaceX for most non institutional investors.
Check with your 401k provider to see if they offer it.
In case they don't, the A share is BPTRX could be an option. It's a little higher expense ratio, but still a great opportunity for yourself and your team.
Needless to say, I have sold all my other funds and bought it, so it's 💯% of my 401k.

I have also put all future funds into DCA'ing every dollar into it.

Of course if you don't have a 401k, IRA, etc. You can always buy the A share in any brokerage account 😉

Cheers to the longs!

As I predicted, the EU is having heartburn over the IRA. They are now negotiating with the US. Hopefully something good will come out of this. Dare I hope for a free trade agreement with the US? Or am I being delusional?

Give them ability to use the credit on 1 EV import for every EV they export from the US.

It is not going to be economical to produce every model in the US to get the tax credit, but as long as they make enough EV's here to cover their US sales they should be good.

As well I know BMW exports quite a few SUV's from Spartanburg as this is the primary production site for most of their SUV's. Not sure about the other European makes.

Last edited:
Why is there a headline that CT pushed back ANOTHER year? Jeez, folks really got a bent or are just ignorant
View attachment 869980

Reuters put out an article last night and the headline was Cybertruck was delayed to the end of 2023. There was no new information, except in the article they literally quotes Tesla that initial production was set to start in mid 2023.

Now Reuters changed the headline to "EXCLUSIVE Tesla's Cybertruck to start mass production at end of 2023", except the smart Yahoo reporters probably glimpsed the old headline and didn't read the content and of course they didn't read the new Reuters headline.

Journalism at its finest.

Exactly we are years away from individuals having to worry about charging their own Semi
Megacharger is a big opportunity. We may be the low cost producer in electricity, insurance, FSD, communications, coffee and creamed chipped beef on toast (my favorite) for long-haul truckers around the world. This vertical has very strong barriers to entry and I think will be very profitable for decades to come. Once demonstrated, this is the kind of business Buffett invests in.

Megacharger is a big opportunity. We may be the low cost producer in electricity, insurance, FSD, communications, coffee and creamed chipped beef on toast (my favorite) for long-haul truckers around the world. This vertical has very strong barriers to entry and I think will be very profitable for decades to come. Once demonstrated, this is the kind of business Buffett invests in.
Yeah about that, how are they going to provide $0.07/kWh to semi truck charging. Looking forward to that actually panning out.

Let the money migration to Tesla begin. In addition to the obvious oil and gas entities, overpriced MAANG is losing market favour (favor for my US friends). I expect this downward trend to continue for MAANG.

Today alone, market capital lost by MAANG was $151.1B. That capital needs to find a new home in a innovative, environmentally friendly, high growth company that shows no signs of slowing.

Today's Market Cap $
META +$5.6B (dead cat bounce as expected after a 41% decline for the past week, trending lower in AH)
AAPL -$43.0B
AMZN -$57.6B
NF -$2.3B
GOOG -$53.8B

Edit: Keep forgetting Facebook changed its name to Meta and is doing some metaverse thingamajig. Corrected above.
Oh, you mean that 'M' in MAANG. I initially thought you had replaced Facebook with Microsoft (as it should be).

Reactions: SmokyPeat