Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. If you compare the detail on the two maps you find areas that used to be covered(*) that are not any more, and if I'm remembering the layout of San Francisco correctly some of them are near Market St and Golden Gate Park, definitely high traffic areas.
"High traffic" during their hours of operation? I lived south of SF some years ago and used to visit. The city seems to sleep early.

Not sure why this needs to be Tesla’s burden by themselves. Pretty sure GM / Ford’s patents are not very valuable to Tesla.
They labor under the illusion that their piles of patents offer them some competitive advantage.

Keeping their tailgate steps and entry keypad patents safe is vital to their enterprise value!

/s

While many people are complaining about Elon (Twitter, selling TSLA, political, etc.), I keep seeing more things he does that I'm grateful for....

Like after watching the Lex/Karpathy marathon interview. Andrew was giving Elon credit for something that many take for granted around here - his ability to run an extremely efficient organization (aka "tight ship"). But somehow he does this at scale. If you've ever worked at a large company, you know how much bloat and soul robbing processes/red tape exists. Elon has found a recipe to massively scale the "skunk works" spirit. I don't know of any ~Trillion dollar companies that have scaled as well as Tesla has. They still trim fat on occasion, but that's exactly the point. If it can be bottled, this recipe is priceless IMO.

… the Lex/Karpathy marathon interview. Andrej was giving Elon credit for something that many take for granted around here - his ability to run an extremely efficient organization (aka "tight ship"). But somehow he does this at scale. If you've ever worked at a large company, you know how much bloat and soul robbing processes/red tape exists. Elon has found a recipe to massively scale the "skunk works" spirit.
Here is the 2 minutes clip on that from the 3 hour interview.

Last edited:
While many people are complaining about Elon (Twitter, selling TSLA, political, etc.), I keep seeing more things he does that I'm grateful for....

Like after watching the Lex/Karpathy marathon interview. Andrew was giving Elon credit for something that many take for granted around here - his ability to run an extremely efficient organization (aka "tight ship"). But somehow he does this at scale. If you've ever worked at a large company, you know how much bloat and soul robbing processes/red tape exists. Elon has found a recipe to massively scale the "skunk works" spirit. I don't know of any ~Trillion dollar companies that have scaled as well as Tesla has. They still trim fat on occasion, but that's exactly the point. If it can be bottled, this recipe is priceless IMO.
IMO part of the formula is focus on the end product, people enjoy doing quality work, people like being results oriented.

Starting from the product the next question is, what is a particular staff member contributing?

The other factor is understanding a lot of the product detail, understanding why a particular decision is good or bad.

And giving staff the resources they need to get results, but all resources need to have a purpose and be justified.

Part of it probably is no second chances for those that screw up.
Judging a team by their results and attracting quality staff.

It isn't a formula everyone can use, they need to understand everything, and work very hard, in fact very few people would have what it takes.

Elon makes a lot of decisions, but that only works when they are mostly good decisions and bad decisions are quickly abandoned.

Last edited:

PMC bloat is real.

Reactions: MitchMitch
Don't know if this is true, but I've read the entire trunk is full of hardware for compute. That's not a great sign for efficiency.

This 109mi max range isn't great, either.

That's showing a battery that's only 3/4 full. The 93 miles is a calculated number based on the recent past. This is showing the current expected range of 93 miles or 109 if you drive really slow. So we are talking about 124 miles of total range for a full battery in recent conditions (93/0.75).

A normal Bolt gets 259 miles of range. Driving in hilly San Francisco will get significantly less. Then you consider the weight and power usage of the on-board equipment.

I still fail to see how you get to only 93 miles of range on a 75% charge. That's truly awful and I have a hard time believing that it's what a Cruise vehicle normally gets. But if their self-driving computer really uses that much power, Cruise is in trouble.

Also note that max charging speed for the Bolt is 55kW. It takes about an hour to recharge the battery. In Atlanta, where you do a lot of highway driving to get through town, this would mean you could pick up a fare at the airport and take him to the suburbs. Then by the time you get back to the center of town you would need to stop for an hour and charge.

Last edited:

You don't know about them because they don't exist.

Even just on operating expenses, Tesla is at $7B per year and the next closest in the trillion-dollar club is Apple at $50B. That's a 7x difference. Apple is bigger (for now) but Tesla's OpEx has stopped growing since 2021.