Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this tells us that a new MY is going to be introduced, but doesn't tell us much in any changes in 4680 improvements/rates etc does it?
It is mainly good news for long-term holding. We do want to see this -- production of 4680s showing enough speed and reliability they can be put in a car that is sold just like the other models.
But the news doesn’t offer any indication Tesla is getting better performance out of them, let along enough to put them in LR models at similar weight to current batteries.
So for now it seems like the value of the news is that the batteries at minimum could help with pricing on medium-range models, since much of the necessary supply can be produced in-house.
Vertical integration perhaps coming good. Next step, hopefully, better performance from them.

• Helpful
Reactions: elasalle
To take your mind off the ticker and related shenanigans. Promotional video showing the Megafactory in action:

If this plant is producing enough packs to drive 22B of revenue next year (someone hear mentioned that), I'm hoping we see a LOT more of these facilities built. Few in Europe, few more in the USA, couple in China . . .

I think it was 279 rated
Tesla were calling up people who had ordered Model Y Long Range to see if they would want an Austin-built standard range instead, for a bit less $$$. Without getting too specific about the car's details. (279-mile EPA range was known) I think the act of finally putting it on the website configurator forces them to be a bit more upfront about the differences in capability of the cars. Might have a different range than 279, even. I personally believe it can charge at higher than 250kW, but since there aren't any Superchargers that can supply that yet, it won't be announced. It certainly keeps charging at 250kW for more of the SOC range.

Meanwhile... UGH!!! TSLA falls to a 17-month low. And soon finds supporters to bring it back up a bit. Wish I had some dry powder but I'm out

Facebook has declining revenue and rapidly expanding costs.

If you take Facebook’s guidance for spending next year and they keep having declining or flat revenue they will *lose* money… that’s why the stock price is so low.

Pretty much all of the tech mega caps are post growth.

Are you saying TSLA is just an automaker? 😲

It is mainly good news for long-term holding. We do want to see this -- production of 4680s showing enough speed and reliability they can be put in a car that is sold just like the other models.
But the news doesn’t offer any indication Tesla is getting better performance out of them, let along enough to put them in LR models at similar weight to current batteries.
So for now it seems like the value of the news is that the batteries at minimum could help with pricing on medium-range models, since much of the necessary supply can be produced in-house.
Vertical integration perhaps coming good. Next step, hopefully, better performance from them.
Tesla has told us they are transitioning to 4680 in stages. First, get it ramped with performance at least on par with 2170s. Then, they'll start making the changes to their ingredients over time that will result in energy density and other improvements.

VW is also starting the process to IPO Lamborghini, just like they did Porsche. Pulling money out of all these legacy, ultra-luxury/perfomance brands...

VW will tell retail investors, "This Lamborghini is a valuable and storied brand. A real legend. You can own a piece of history. We know how much it's worth, here, you buy it from us!" :(

So I have a couple concerns about a lot of the noise lately, to a certain extent the effect on demand but I really feel this will affect talent aquisition and retention, engineering and otherwise. Hard to read some of these reports and not think it would raise concerns for potential future employees. It's obviously an area that will be hard for us to see as outside investors.

The demand issue will hopefully not turn out to be an issue and will at least be partially be answered in 4q earnings calls. In any case I think the growth of the energy side of the business and the semi are areas that will be driven by dollars where feelings are much less of a factor. But the auto side is concerning considering just based on things I am hearing from friends and family who were planning on purchasing.

And I do think these are a couple of areas I'd love to see discussed as I think they are very relevant to where we think the stock price is and/or should be. Well, at least as relevant as Optimus's knee joints :) (although I did learn things!) I don't really care about the topic except as it impacts this.

This 4680 Model Y SR sounds like a build specifically to take advantage of the new tax credits

I would not be at all shocked to see it priced below the $55k "Other" limit in the legislation
I think it is well understood Model Y is considered an SUV.

The limit for SUV's is $80K so no need for any special versions of Model Y to get the tax credit.

So I have a couple concerns about a lot of the noise lately, to a certain extent the effect on demand but I really feel this will affect talent aquisition and retention, engineering and otherwise. Hard to read some of these reports and not think it would raise concerns for potential future employees. It's obviously an area that will be hard for us to see as outside investors.

The demand issue will hopefully not turn out to be an issue and will at least be partially be answered in 4q earnings calls. In any case I think the growth of the energy side of the business and the semi are areas that will be driven by dollars where feelings are much less of a factor. But the auto side is concerning considering just based on things I am hearing from friends and family who were planning on purchasing.

And I do think these are a couple of areas I'd love to see discussed as I think they are very relevant to where we think the stock price is and/or should be. Well, at least as relevant as Optimus's knee joints :) (although I did learn things!) I don't really care about the topic except as it impacts this.
(Referring to talent acquisition) Honestly, with what are likely to be dramatic layoffs in the tech industry in the coming quarters, I don't think it will matter at all. Indeed, Tesla will likely have their pick of the litter (more than they apparently already do).

Just did a quick survey of wait times on Tesla's website. Everything is available in November 2022 if you select higher trims. But for base models...:

S base spec November 2022
3 base spec November 2022 (LR not available to configure, but lots of new inventory to choose from)
Y base spec December 2022 (LR)
X base spec March 2023

So it looks like they're catching up on orders, it's nowhere near as bad as it has been

If the 4680 cell is cheaper to make and/or more efficient in usage, would there be fewer cells needed per car, and hence improve margins per car, esp with regards to SR version of Model Y. This would be important to know, at least if investment is based on projected improving margins and hence revenue.
If all were equal. It's having problems so yield is low so the costs/cell may be quite a bit higher right now but lots of opportunities for improvement. They can improve chemistry, they can improve DBE process so it actually works, etc. For now the big win seems to be the reduced number of cells which leads to a higher margins on assembling packs. The cells have the same density and they are much thicker (thicker cell walls I mean) so they weigh a lot. Helps provide structure maybe...they are much heavier cells than the prior two versions 18650 2170s.

They have some work to do on the format and it might not be until Panasonic starts making them that they really appear in the scale we'd all like to see.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Perhaps our child-like CEO should stop taking about masterbating and project a better image.

Just did a quick survey of wait times on Tesla's website. Everything is available in November 2022 if you select higher trims. But for base models...:

S base spec November 2022
3 base spec November 2022 (LR not available to configure, but lots of new inventory to choose from)
Y base spec December 2022 (LR)
X base spec March 2023

So it looks like they're catching up on orders, it's nowhere near as bad as it has been
It's that 4D chess people claim Elon plays. Backlog was getting too long so Tesla raised prices and increased production while Elon worked online to inspire people to cancel orders.