Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Run rate is a BS number. It has zero impact on sales or profits, it is only capability. TSLA or TMC bragging on run rate is no better than Biden or Mary or Toyoda making claims about EVs in 3035.

What is the run rate of CT or TSLA semi, today? Right now?
Regardless of that run rate, there are ZERO of those models for sale.
Run rate is capability, not production available for sale.
It is extrapolation into the FUTURE, not the present.

No.

Run rate is literally what they've demonstrated they are capable of producing in a given week.

Cybertruck and semi are not included in the run rate. When Musk says they are producing 30,000 cars/ week, that means they actually rolled 30,000 cars out the door. When they say they will hit 40,000 cars a week by year end they are talking about actual cars produced in one week.

Cybertruck is not going to be part of that at all. Semi might add 4 per week by year end.

Is anyone claiming a run rate for either of those vehicles? Run rate is the rate they are currently making vehicles, so it is the current production rate from which VEHICLES WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR SALE! And from the current run rate, we can extrapolate what will be available in the future. I seriously do not have a clue what you're complaining about...

Not normally a fan of Mr. Black, but he may be on to something here:
Screenshot_20221107-091604.png

I'm cautiously optimistic that things will look much better after the election. Fewer bots, fewer propagandists pushing their narratives and a set of new things for the media to scare people over.
Don't stocks typically rally after an election? Due to all the "mystery" getting replaced with "clarity" ? Asking for a friend 🤣

I think he is proposing eliminating the SR Model 3 will raise the average price.

I can see some scenarios where they lower the price on the LR Model 3, eliminate the SR and the average profit per vehicle could be higher. The margin on the current SR is probably the lowest of all the vehicles.

All true- but those SRs are using LFP cells from CATL.... if you wanna replace all those cars with LRs you'll need 2170s (and more whs of em per car too compared to SRs) to do it. And even more than that if you get an LR demand spike from the $7500 rebate. 4680s don't help you at all, as they still aren't even ramped for the Y or CT, so it'll be years before they're relevant to the Model 3... (Well, I suppose as they ramp for Y in Texas they'll free up some amount of 2170 supply... but since the Y is ALSO going to see a demand spike from the $7500 I'm not sure that gets you much net)

I would say you also then need something to do with the LFPs, but megapack demand has you covered there (plus whatever small # of RWD SRs Canada wants I guess)

Reactions: Gigapress
So I have a couple concerns about a lot of the noise lately, to a certain extent the effect on demand but I really feel this will affect talent aquisition and retention, engineering and otherwise. Hard to read some of these reports and not think it would raise concerns for potential future employees. It's obviously an area that will be hard for us to see as outside investors.

I don't see the incessant anti-Tesla, anti-Musk noise as a problem for talent acquisition and especially not for talent retention. On the contrary, actually. Tesla can always hire enough normally talented people, but the kind of extreme talent that drives extreme value at Tesla now, and will likely continue to power them in the future, is composed of rare individuals who think and see things differently from ordinary people. These are the kind of individuals who can see exactly how and why Tesla is being attacked and how much of a lie it all is. Rather than discourage them, it creates a motivation to join forces, to work harder, to prove the naysayers are the idiots they know them to be. To win at all costs.

Further, the current low share price has impacted employee options to a much higher degree in terms of percentages, compared to long-term holders. Such is the nature of options. Rather than coast on their past achievements, with their options values riding high, dreaming of mountaintop retreats and island paradises, they will buckle up and put their noses to the grindstone to create more shareholder value. It's a natural human response.

Tesla will emerge from all this noise stronger and more resilient than ever with plans that are more finely tuned for success, leaner and meaner than ever, with better execution and lower expenses than had they been riding high on a bed of rose petals. Employees will be able to look back and say, "I did that, I was a part of building the greatest company to ever exist."

Is anyone claiming a run rate for either of those vehicles? Run rate is the rate they are currently making vehicles, so it is the current production rate from which VEHICLES WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR SALE! And from the current run rate, we can extrapolate what will be available in the future. I seriously do not have a clue what you're complaining about...
Maybe he meant "production capacity" and not run rate.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
I don't see the incessant anti-Tesla, anti-Musk noise as a problem for talent acquisition and especially not for talent retention. On the contrary, actually. Tesla can always hire enough normally talented people, but the kind of extreme talent that drives extreme value at Tesla now, and will likely continue to power them in the future, is composed of rare individuals who think and see things differently from ordinary people. These are the kind of individuals who can see exactly how and why Tesla is being attacked and how much of a lie it all is. Rather than discourage them, it creates a motivation to join forces, to work harder, to prove the naysayers are the idiots they know them to be. To win at all costs.

Further, the current low share price has impacted employee options to a much higher degree in terms of percentages, compared to long-term holders. Such is the nature of options. Rather than coast on their past achievements, with their options values riding high, dreaming of mountaintop retreats and island paradises, they will buckle up and put their noses to the grindstone to create more shareholder value. It's a natural human response.

Tesla will emerge from all this noise stronger and more resilient than ever with plans that are more finely tuned for success, leaner and meaner than ever, with better execution and lower expenses than had they been riding high on a bed of rose petals. Employees will be able to look back and say, "I did that, I was a part of building the greatest company to ever exist."
Oh I definitely agree that the top .01% are the most important when you are talking things like AI, etc, but there are also the top 10% that really drive a lot of other pieces and all of those people have options as to where to work.

The way Tsla uses run rates they do not indicate that production remains at that level thereafter
hence, meaningless
evidence of this is failure of the guesstimators of sales and production.
if run rate were so cut and dry the numbers would be known.
Happy to see so many disagrees on this, y’all been a bunch of sorry arses round here for quite a while.

run rate is we can do this
it does not mean we are doing this.

trust me, I have a blue ✅

No.

Run rate is literally what they've demonstrated they are capable of producing in a given week.

Cybertruck and semi are not included in the run rate. When Musk says they are producing 30,000 cars/ week, that means they actually rolled 30,000 cars out the door. When they say they will hit 40,000 cars a week by year end they are talking about actual cars produced in one week.

Cybertruck is not going to be part of that at all. Semi might add 4 per week by year end.
Let me get this straight, you are arguing against my position stating that run rate is only capacity
by argUing it is what they are capable of?