Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Less left, less right. More liberty.
I wish that was the case, but unfortunately a head in the sand right now is just ignoring the political reality that our Democracy is in peril. After decades of trying red states finally got SCOTUS to take a case that if ruled in red states favor they could literally choose the voters in there states with election laws that would not be able to be overturned by courts or vetoed by Governors. That is not liberty. Only check would be federal election laws.

Oh and as much as I am pissed at Elon. I am still out on Twitter defending him. Today in fact defended him on the stupid Emerald Mine crap and unrealized capital gains stuff. Also disinformation about the Blue Check stuff, while at the same time criticizing the Blue Check non-verification verification system.

But sadly in this case, it was that ability that caused the problem. The EPAS was fine before they "broke" it with an OTA...
True and it is worth reading the NHTSA full report (2 minute read) to understand how advanced Tesla's telemetry has become.

TL;DR - All affected cars have been updated. Timeline started Oct 11th, Issue discovered in fleet Oct 18th, a week to investigate, Oct 25th Tesla voluntarily did a recall and as of now...

"Tesla does not plan to include a statement in the Part 577 owner notification about pre-notice reimbursement to owners since all of the affected vehicles already received the remedy free of charge."

But if it gets down to $175, I plan on selling shares to buy some conservative Jan 2025 LEAPs. Only downside I see is if we trade sideways for the 2+ years, which seems unlikely for a company growing at 50% per year. Of course,, you never know, not trading advice, ya da ya da...

Does anybody else think it would be hilarious if wedgies made this the bottom? (see chart below). $176.99 from June 3, 2019 (pre-split-split, so multiply by just ignore the 15x) :p

TSLA 50-Day Chart from 2019-06-03

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2019-06-03.20-00.png

Too Funny!

Cheers!

A lot of people blaming Elon for the fall. I think investors share some of that blame too. In the other thread I've been reading for weeks now about people being margin called or being close to it, and it has been intensifying. Margin has helped TSLA on the way up, but is now pushing the stock much further down than it normally would have gone. The manipulators know this and are actively pushing the stock lower to cause more stop losses and margin calls. Lesson for the future: avoid margin, avoid being over-exposed.
So you are saying I didn't do anything wrong by just buying with all the cash I could, never lend a dime from anyone and just HODL my real shares (because everything else would be too complicated for my simple mind)?

:)

Last edited:
Would love to get a sense of how Tesla employees feel about their "Techno king" at the moment ?
If they are heads down and let Elon be Elon then great ... lets hope they are not bitching like TMC Investor thread ... :p

time for a long walk ... in for 10 more shares @ $189 .. i have nothing left after 5 years of DCA TSLA shares

Last edited:
True and it is worth reading the NHTSA full report (2 minute read) to understand how advanced Tesla's telemetry has become.

TL;DR - All affected cars have been updated. Timeline started Oct 11th, Issue discovered in fleet Oct 18th, a week to investigate, Oct 25th Tesla voluntarily did a recall and as of now...

"Tesla does not plan to include a statement in the Part 577 owner notification about pre-notice reimbursement to owners since all of the affected vehicles already received the remedy free of charge."
Even better. Tesla reverted the problematic calibration on Oct 19th, the day after they discovered the problem and six days before the voluntary recall.

As of Nov 1, 97% of affected cars were updated. The note you quoted is regarding the situation when people paid to have worked done that was later covered by a recall. (Should maybe say "recieve", not "recieved)

Elon has always been synonymous with tesla. It used to be an enormously good thing. The vision was very persuasive. Sounded very smart. Aspirational. People wanted the product not only because it’s a good car but because of the vision. Buying into a better future. New tech. Best experience. Ride the exciting new wave of tech.
Elon seems to have gone nuts. I can’t rationalize his behavior. No longer an asset he is seriously damaging the appeal of tesla despite the product. The glorious vision now looks like nothing more than a cry baby narcissist. He not saying anything remotely intelligent. Looks like a baffoon with Twitter. No one would want to be associated with him if it hadn’t been for his past success. He is not saying anything compelling. He’s frequently acting in opposition to his own words.

I wish I could see a way up for the stock. If they had announced a replacement for Elon that would have helped stabilize the stock. But he’s setting a blowtorch to Twitter. Tesla. His reputation. His image. His net worth.
Disagree. Much of social media and fantastic headlines are amplified to generate clicks and hence ad based revenue. So any criticism is amplified. Why does this matter to tesla-- i'm guessing elon didn't buy twitter on a whim, like one of us getting a candy bar in the grocery store aisle. There is a reason for all this, and will take a bit of time to develop.

Just like tesla was once just an EV car company, now people don't even flinch that the car is an EV and just want a superior way to drive. TSLA was and continues to be controlled by bombastic and untrue headlines. But in the background, the number of tesla vehicles on the road, both objectively and subjectively , are increasing on a daily basis.

I hate to change the subject here/s, but there is interesting data in CarSalesBase about Tesla sales development. I chose the Europe data:

Perhaps this is off-topic because it relates to actual Tesla results in Europe. I apologize for not mentioning politics or social media acquisitions./s
MODS: Please accept my apologies if this is the incorrect thread./s

It is responsible to note that in present global political/economic/climactic developments there is extreme risk to anything speculative. Despite that, as in other such volatile times, investing in conservative value has been wise. Those conservative values are ones that have durable competitive advantage combined with high capital efficiency and manufacturing excellence.

Direct parallels with other times of great stress are fraught, but even imrprobables, like Chrysler, succeeded then due to modern products and efficient production that made 1930's Plymouths a great deal, as did General Motors. Both were innovators then, while the giant of the time, Ford, stagnated. BCG has a very good summery for he time:

A quick review shows that those two were then much like Tesla is today, although both grew with acquisitions, the product and production innovations made both well positioned for rapid growth.
The lessons of those two are also relevant in that both stagnated when their success made them forget the basics. Out of World War II they both let the booming markets deceive them into valuing form over function.

In Tesla we have a very long time before such a thing could happen, not least because the current world is beginning to understand the limits of hydrocarbon-based power.

Distracting ourselves from basics while attending to every whim and whimsy makes us forget what Tesla is all about. Nothing else is relevant.

When we preoccupy ourselves with everything else we are becoming dilettantes, preoccupied with personality rather than content. Of course Mr. Musk is odd. Were Edison, Carver, Einstein, Franklin, Boeing, Ford, Daimler, Porsche, Honda...NOT odd? Of course they were! Compared with some of them Elon is well balanced and mild.

It is long past time to chill! Pay attention to facts, not emotions. @The Accountant , @Gigapress and several others are doing a good job of staying on the subject. Our long-suffering Mods are at risk of burnout if we do not shape up. We all should do better, I explicitly include myself. When we are tempted to concern ourselves with birdlike issues, just remember the 'virtuous kind heroes'/s of the past such as Bill Boeing and Henry Ford. Then compare with Elon Musk, who has actually accomplished more than any of those others, as incredible as it seems.

Nominated for "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit". Thank-you.